MAGS July “Shocking” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/07/2018 00:02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice'
1 (5.6%)
The Lightning Spell
4 (22.2%)
Welcome to Nod River
2 (11.1%)
The Shaft
10 (55.6%)
Pizza Calls
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Thu 16/08/2018 00:10:17

VampireWombat

At least I'm not the only one stuck on that part of Slasher's game...

Looks like I need to finish a couple of the games soon so I can vote. Oops.

Slasher

Safe cracking book
Spoiler

Safe cracking book is one of the books on the bookcase.
[close]

The Outer Zone

Finally played all the games.
Nice to see so many different games.

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice' by Slasher
Spoiler
I like the harsh nature of this game. The scratchy music and collage of mediums. Maybe a bit too much talk in the intro for my taste, but that is might just be me. Finding all the tools was fun.
[close]

The Lightning Spell by Buckethead
Spoiler
Quite funny, but wanted more jokes. A little gray in the graphics, but otherwise interesting looking.
[close]

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER by Mandle
Spoiler
Would be interesting to see the game, after seeing the intro.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Quite a nice game. I have played one of your games before (The Landlord) and this one is more tight. I really love the graphics, although it is definitely too muddy at times (hard to tell what some of the items represents). Great idea for a small story and I thought the whole smashing the window and proceeding through it worked very well! Great stuff.
[close]

Pizza Calls by VampireWombat
Spoiler
Very short, but nicely absurd experience.
[close]

My vote:

Spoiler
The Shaft
[close]
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

VampireWombat

I've finished all but one of the games now.

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER by Mandle
Spoiler
Dunno what to say with it being just an intro. Shows promise though.
[close]

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice' by Slasher
Spoiler
I don't mind the anachronisms like some people did. Of course I had literally just been reading about Anachronism Stew on TvTropes before playing the game again to finish it...
Most of the puzzles were pretty easy to figure out. For some reason I thought opening the first safe would have something to do with all the dates mentioned on things. But after being told about the book, I realized I had to literally use the book on it.
The only puzzle that really confused me was using the hammer on the laser. I tried the mirror first since that's how so many things get past lasers. Then I tried the cds.
[close]

The Lightning Spell by Buckethead
Spoiler
Short, but nicely done. The interactions with the maiden were fun. I like the setting and would have liked to see it used more.
[close]

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
Had to watch the walkthrough to finish it, but I did finish it before the voting deadline.
The graphics are nice and the puzzles are well thought out. The ending did make it much more intriguing.
[close]

My vote goes to:
Spoiler
The Lightning Spell. It just was the most fun to me and the setting appealed to me the most out of all of them.
[close]

Shadow1000

Looks like The Shaft won. Congrats! Well-deserved and not surprising, especially as people posted their comments.

Stupot

Well done to The Shaft by Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for September :-)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 16/08/2018 05:16:20
Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

I thought it was only me that had that problem!

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 16/08/2018 05:21:21
Quote from: Stupot on Thu 16/08/2018 05:16:20
Kastchey, the person with the most difficult to remember consonant cluster in their name.

I thought it was only me that had that problem!
Haha. Nope. I always have to double and triple check it.

Kastchey

Guys, I understand and I have modified my profile name for your convenience. I hope it helps.

Slasher

Very well done Kasctshtststcthsey (nod)

Keep on keeping on (laugh)

We want to see another game from you (nod)

DBoyWheeler

Mandle

Quote from: Kasctshtststcthsey on Thu 16/08/2018 17:28:19
Guys, I understand and I have modified my profile name for your convenience. I hope it helps.

OMG!!! (laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Kastchey

Thanks everyone! I certainly hadn't been expecting the responses I got. Those of you who are hoping for an extended version - I'll do my best not to disappoint!
Also, a very special thank you to those who commented and to the other entrants for a great competition.

As for the final bits of feedback I had not responded to earlier:

VampireWombat
Spoiler
Thanks for giving it a try! I hope you mainly had to consult the walkthrough due to time constraint... but if not, feel free to let me know what in particular you had trouble with.
[close]

The Outer Zone:
Spoiler
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the game. If you care to elaborate on the items that you found hard to read, send me a pm. I'll gladly rework them for the cleaned-up post-MAGS version.
ALD was a collaboration project led, submitted and promoted by LostTrainDude (who had also provided the Vangelis-quality soundtrack :)), so I'm surprised you remembered I had my hand in it!
[close]

Blondbraid
Spoiler
Thanks for playing! The wire cutters thing wasn't exactly an arbitrary solution, it was just me screwing up the two ways interactions for some items :-D I'm fixing that already.
As for the
Spoiler
knife issue, it is possible to use other sharp objects to cut the chair after losing the knife. But you are not the first person thinking this was a dead end so I think I'll need to redesign it slightly, or add a hint for other interactions upon losing the knife.
[close]
Thank you for your comments! Constructive criticism helps a lot :)
[close]

Slasher
Spoiler
QuoteWell done for making a good game in the time we had ;)
Hah! Says who ;)
[close]

The Outer Zone

@Kastchey - I forgot to write back. I mostly have problems reading the torn gloves and the harness. The scissors could be more clear as well. And the voltage tester.. that's a foreign object to me, so i guess its ok. But I think it would be more clear if the objects were not on a background with same texture and value. The color is fine (green on red) but its the same light tone.

Would be fun to see the game in a polished version :)

-Malte
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Kastchey

Ok, great! These are the items other players complained about as well so the rest should hopefully fine. Thanks a million for the extra feedback.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk