MAGS July “Shocking” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/07/2018 00:02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice'
1 (5.6%)
The Lightning Spell
4 (22.2%)
Welcome to Nod River
2 (11.1%)
The Shaft
10 (55.6%)
Pizza Calls
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Thu 16/08/2018 00:10:17

Retro Wolf

I've just spent an hour trying to fix my inventory GUI, WHY ISN'T THIS CODE WORKING?!! Turns out in the general settings tab I'd left "override built in inventory window click handling" to false... >:(

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 22/07/2018 23:18:54
I've just spent an hour trying to fix my inventory GUI, WHY ISN'T THIS CODE WORKING?!! Turns out in the general settings tab I'd left "override built in inventory window click handling" to false... >:(

Yeah, I've done similar many times myself. Now one of the first things I check is general settings if something if happening that seems to make no sense.

Slasher

Hope you have sorted your troubles out OK, Retro Wolf (nod)

Meanwhile, I have added new function at the end and tweaked a bit.

Come on guys, show us your wares.. only a week to go and we need your entry.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 23/07/2018 07:16:40
Hope you have sorted your troubles out OK, Retro Wolf (nod)

Meanwhile, I have added new function at the end and tweaked a bit.

Come on guys, show us your wares.. only a week to go and we need your entry.

I hope to have something to show but with my wife out of action with back problems again and my mother-in-law having some medical issues due to the heat and being forced out of her apartment due to a broken air-con things are pretty chaotic right now.

I have that tiny bit of background, the car sprite, half a walkcycle, and one other animated sprite done so far and that's it.

Not looking good but we will see!

Slasher

Mandle: Sorry to hear about your wife and mother-in-laws problems. May they be gone soon (nod)

Half a walkcycle is ok, I've seen worse (laugh)

Keep it simple and short mate and you may still make it.

I just had a vision..character is a car... A very large road map...drive the roads...Ransom note...follow messages...look for things...phone boxes...trees..object etc..complete message tasks and go on to the next given point...find the final message and complete last task...to receive the biggest shock of your life..

Crazy, but it's true (laugh)

VampireWombat

I have nothing worth showing yet. Today's supposed to be quite a bit cooler than the past 3.
After having played Return of the Tentacle this weekend, I'm going to see if I can make a context sensitive interface work. But I'm limiting myself to today and tomorrow to work on it. If it doesn't work out, then I'll either use a 2 click interface or modified 9 verb.

Mandle - If you need help finishing the walk cycle, I can give it a go. I can't promise it would be as good as you'd do, but at the least it could be something you could modify a bit to work. I'd even be willing to attempt other animations you might need.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 13:00:12
Mandle - If you need help finishing the walk cycle, I can give it a go. I can't promise it would be as good as you'd do, but at the least it could be something you could modify a bit to work. I'd even be willing to attempt other animations you might need.

Thanks for the offer, mate, but I think I'll just do each task myself as a personal challenge even if it means I don't make the deadline with anything enterable.

I already have 2 uncomplete MAGS games on the back burner to be worked on... Why not make it a solid 3, eh?

They are all so different that I can pick and choose which to work on depending on my mood, so it's a nice little family of misfits to have around.

VampireWombat

Alright. I wish you the best of luck.

And I'm going to attempt a different variation of a verb coin. Instead of being brought up by a mouse click, I'm going to see how well having it brought up by hovering over a hotspot will work.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 13:23:51
And I'm going to attempt a different variation of a verb coin. Instead of being brought up by a mouse click, I'm going to see how well having it brought up by hovering over a hotspot will work.

That's what Return Of The Tentacle does, right? I found it worked very well! Although I wouldn't really call it a verb coin as you don't click on the icons to choose which option. It was more just a guide to show you beforehand what left click or right click would do.

So, it was very useful for situations like when right-clicking a door would only open/close the door instead of looking at it, saving the player the trouble of clicking the door with the intent of examining it, and other cases like this.

VampireWombat

Yes and no. Return of the Tentacle, at least the amount I've played so far, is pretty much just 2 click interface with context sensitive images that showed up. What I want will be more like a verb coin since it will have multiple options.
An example of what I mean is something that I thought of when trying to get back to sleep at one point this morning. Hover over water and it would give the options to drink, swim, or put some in a container.
Of course having the options come up when hovering might be an absolutely horrible idea. But at the least hovering can be used for scripting which interactions would be used.

Mandle

ARGH!!! Every time I sit down to get something done my mother-in-law calls on the phone with imagined worries that we are trying to move her into an elderly care home and that the broken air conditioner was just the first step of our master plan to do so!!!

I know she is old and this must all be quite terrifying for her so I'm not angry or anything but I can't get into the headspace I need to have fun with creating anything while expecting the phone to ring again at any moment and the same cycle of my wife trying to talk sense into her mother starts and escalates all over again.

This is why writers and artists have lofts I guess...

VampireWombat

Yeah, I can see how that could cause creative problems.
The best suggestion I have is somehow use the experience in a game.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 23/07/2018 14:52:35
The best suggestion I have is somehow use the experience in a game.

Indeed!

VampireWombat

Well, I suppose combining Street Fighter and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis could somehow work. Of course that could be influced by the fact that hearing indeed makes me think of Teal'c and last week I watched an episode of Stargate Atlantis where Ronon and Teal'c were fighting...

Slasher

VampireWombat:
QuoteAn example of what I mean is something that I thought of when trying to get back to sleep at one point this morning. Hover over water and it would give the options to drink, swim, or put some in a container.
It's a possibility and could work OK if implemented properly...

Mandle:
The mind can make people think/do lots of strange things...

What ever way you go guys I wish you success.. (nod)

Meanwhile, I have uploaded a new improved build...

Buckethead

My game is playable from start to finish. Still need to write some responses and polish some stuff. Hopefully I will have time later this week.
Here's another screenshot from the game:

VampireWombat

I worked on my idea for the verb coin a bit last night and then realized that unless there's some different way to do it, it's no better than just left clicking on the hotspot to begin with. It might actually be worse. But at least it does work as a means to create context sensitive verbs. Today I'll adapt what I did to work with left clicking instead.

Buckethead- Looking good. Hopefully you'll release whatever you have finished, even if it's not fully polished.

Slasher

Buckethead,

What a lovely background...I do hope the story and game play matches it (nod)

As long as it's playable from start to finish with no big bugs/issues I'm fine with that.

Good start (nod)

VampireWombat: Knowledge learnt is knowledge known. I thought an alternative way could be dialog option choices.

Meanwhile, I found a missing UnlockView in dig room and now fixed

VampireWombat

I suppose dialog is a way to do it. And using an inventory has also been suggested.
But a context sensitive verb coin makes the most sense to me. Fewer steps involved for the player at least.
Now if only I can figure out the graphics style for my game...

Slasher

Thing's are hotting up around here (laugh)

VampireWombat: Time is ticking away like sand in an hourglass...

QuoteNow if only I can figure out the graphics style for my game...
You need to decide and act fast as only a week to go... Step up a gear and I'll see you at the starting line  (nod)

No sleep 'til Hammersmith as Lemmy said (laugh)

This may have been the time I saw him on Motorhead's first tour at Hammersmith Odeon, 19th Oct 1975 supporting Blue Oyster Cult..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk