MAGS July “Shocking” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/07/2018 00:02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS July?

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice'
1 (5.6%)
The Lightning Spell
4 (22.2%)
Welcome to Nod River
2 (11.1%)
The Shaft
10 (55.6%)
Pizza Calls
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Thu 16/08/2018 00:10:17

Stupot

Thanks for your patience. The contest is over and the voting is now open.

5 entries,by the looks of it. Thanks everyone who participated. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Voting till: August 15th

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice' by Slasher
The Lightning Spell by Buckethead
WELCOME TO NOD RIVER by Mandle
The Shaft by Kastchey
Pizza Calls by VampireWombat

Mandle

Erm, Katschey...

The download link for the updated version of your game, which I really want to play, leads to a dodgey-looking site with a side-bar ad titled "Captivating Russian Women" with a button marked "Start Chat".

Not exactly the kind of site I feel comfortable about clicking on anything, let alone a download link.

Could you switch back to the site you previously used because I'm pretty sure it wasn't this one.

Buckethead

It just goes to Filedropper for me. Maybe Katschey already changed the link?

Anyway I'm going to try out each game today and give some feedback. Thanks everyone who already gave feedback about my game, I really appreciate it.

Kastchey

Sure, I'll reupload to google drive as soon as I get home. Sorry about that.
Actually, the filedropper link is still working, it "only" requires you to click the correct one out of one million different "Download file" buttons.

Below is the same file re-uploaded to a less vile host:
Link updated to remove restore game bug & the rope bug

Stupot, would you mind swapping the links or adding the above as an alternative?

Mandle

Cheers, downloading now and really looking forward to playing the updated version of what was already an awesome game!

VampireWombat

Oh. I should probably have said this yesterday, but was too tired. The inventory items don't actually do anything. I don't even remember if any of them other than the cell phone even have a look description.

Downloading the other games now to play later.

Shadow1000

5 entries!

Here are my thoughts:

Stories of the unexpected: 'Until further notice' by Slasher
Spoiler
What I liked about this game was how complete it is. It has a backstory, beginning, middle and end. Lots of decent puzzles and a nice bit of variety. The graphics were a bit basic, especially of the characters. The puzzles were straightforward and the only one that took some guessing was the laser
[close]

The Lightning Spell by Buckethead
Spoiler
It's not often that I am so positive on a game just because of the graphics and animation but this game is an exception. All I can say is WOW! I REALLY hope that you use the characters and backgrounds and build a medium or full length game with a good story and puzzles. For a MAGS entry the story/puzzles were ok, considering the time constraints
[close]

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER by Mandle
Game introduction. The background of the game once it opens is intriguing enough to look like a good basis for a game.

The Shaft by Kastchey
Spoiler
I really like this one. The attractive pixel art combined with what looks like part of a good story drew me in. I wasn't expecting such detailed, well-though out puzzles. Progress was slow but steady. There is a fair bit of guessing. I got stuck at the same place as Mandle but I did get past it.
[close]

Pizza Calls by VampireWombat
I'm not sure what to say. It's hard to evaluate what seems to be an early release of something?

It was not an easy call to make but my vote goes to
Spoiler
The Shaft. I feel that while Until Further Notice is more complete rather than giving the feel of a "first scene" of a game, this one has the most to offer in terms of graphics and puzzles and to me was the most engaging and enjoyable
[close]

Good luck!

Slasher

I find it quite painful having to click to remove text...

Kastchey

That's down to personal preference, I guess. Ideally I should make a GUI for switching between skipping modes so that everyone can pick whatever option they are most comfortable with. Point taken! :)

Shadow1000

Oh, and I forgot to report:

In The Shaft, I saved my game intending to come back later. But when I came back, it said that there were no saved games and I had to start over :(

Kastchey

Oh dear. Sorry about that, I think I know where I messed up. But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)
Thanks very much for reporting!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 02/08/2018 21:44:05
Oh dear. Sorry about that, I think I know where I messed up. But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)
Thanks very much for reporting!

No problem. Despite that, it got my vote...

Kastchey

It did, so I'm glad the save issue wasn't too off-putting.
Thanks a million for your feedback and comments, and I'm happy that you enjoyed the game overall!

Mandle

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 02/08/2018 21:44:05
But I'll leave it for the post-MAGS version as correcting it now would be cheating ;)

You're allowed to fix bugs, especially really major ones like that, after the competition closes as long as you don't add new gameplay, assets, etc.

Kastchey

Thanks Mandle (again!).

Below is a link to the fixed version. Tjere are no other changes so if you have managed to finish the game there is no need to re-download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rOCWUf6oYpcDFgnQ3zUq7Oz78LFJpH_U/view?usp=drivesdk

slumber

trying to play The Shaft, i guess im too stupid for this game but i noticed that you can repeatedly
Spoiler
cut the rope with the knife again after you already cut it
[close]
possible bug?

abstauber

Phew, it's been a while since I played enough MAGS game to actually qualify on voting ;-D
It was really entertaining, thank you all for creating this great content!

Pizza Calls
Spoiler
That was the most disturbing game of poker in a long time :D
[close]

WELCOME TO NOD RIVER
Spoiler
Well, too bad that it's not game yet, but cool that you had the guts to release it anyway. I liked the style and I really had hopes that I could explore this a screen a bit.
[close]

The Lightning Spell
Spoiler
Wow, the presentation layer is fantastic. This could be a commercial demo from the late 90s for all I know. Also it made me chuckle a few times :) Gameplaywise it was not very challenging unfortunately. Still, what was there, was fun
[close]

Stories of the unexpected
Spoiler
This was the longest game and it even contains a mini game, very nice. What I don't get is why there are Laptops in the 60s... I might have preferred it to be a bit more accurate in terms of technology. But it was still very entertaining, especially the ending.
[close]
The Shaft
Spoiler
I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Kastcheys work... since forever? So I'm a bit biased here. I adore the graphics, they are quite grainy and (as always) a bit unpolished but they fit the setting perfectly. Well the inventory puzzles on the other hand where a bit trial and error, especially because pliers on wire work, but not the other way round etc. Also I loved the surprising element in the ending and I despise the fact that this story will probably never be continued (/me looks at the postapocalyptic snow queen). So yes - I want to see more of Reed! Please!
[close]

Conclusion
Spoiler

Thanks again to all creators for giving my such a good time. For me it was a tight decision between Slasher and Kastchey, but finally my vote goes to The Shaft.
[close]

Kastchey

Yes, sounds like a bug as you
Spoiler
do not need to interact with the rope anymore.
[close]

I don't think it should affect the gameplay much but will double check. Thank you for reporting!

@abstauber: Thank you for your comments! I'll respond in more detail later but hey, the Snow Queen is still among the "in progress" folders! ;-D and at least I can now say I did a Snow Queen-themed game before it was cool.

VampireWombat

Quote from: abstauber on Fri 03/08/2018 12:47:43
Pizza Calls
Spoiler
That was the most disturbing game of poker in a long time :D
[close]
Thank you.

Kastchey

@slumber So.. it does break the game, unfortunately. My apologies :< My only excuse is that the last game I scripted on my own was released in 2009... ;)
Here is a link to the fixed version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p2N25CRFMhZwim8C2UrWsKI2CPmHJkua

@abstauber Many thanks for the feedback and the kind words! I'm glad the game didn't disappoint ;)
Spoiler
QuoteI have to admit that I'm a huge fan of Kastcheys work... since forever? So I'm a bit biased here.
Aww.. thank you. I'm still a fervent fan of your mad coding skills! ;)
Quoteespecially because pliers on wire work, but not the other way round etc.
I've tried to make the interactions work both ways but I was sure I didn't manage to catch all of them. Thanks, this is definitely to be addressed in a post-MAGS version!
Quote(/me looks at the postapocalyptic snow queen)
*cough* I have a folder for that, and a remake folder for that, and a second remake folder... which makes me think you're probably right about the Snow Queen, but I'll try to do better with this one! =)
[close]
@Shadow1000
Spoiler
QuoteI wasn't expecting such detailed, well-though out puzzles.
Thank you! I'm so happy to hear this, because I thought I had trouble designing puzzles that are actually entertaining.
QuoteI got stuck at the same place as Mandle but I did get past it.
I was worried about that particular puzzle because it might have been unfair to the player as it is based on something that is not necessarily common knowledge. I tried to improve it a little bit by adding less confusing descriptions after Mandle's initial feedback so I hope it's less frustrating now.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk