Picking up objects..

Started by Slasher, Sun 08/07/2018 15:15:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Click'd

Quote from: fernewelten on Sun 08/07/2018 18:31:19
A lot of walkthrough writers like to present the solution as a minimal sequence of steps necessary to reach the finishing screen
I've written a few and I make it a point to divide the steps into what's needed for a puzzle. So I don't tell the reader to pick up everything for no apparent reason.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Thu 19/07/2018 19:12:15
Imo it is bad that currently we have to highlight objects (surely out of fear that point n click is dead, and thus it will annoy the player to have to hunt for what is in the room).
Pixel hunting is just not fun. And it wasn't back then, either. Fake longevity, and it forces the player to stare at a room until they hate it.

VampireWombat

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 20/07/2018 11:35:18
I am not a fan of carrying a large number of items around. No one would do so IRL (let alone random stuff). Moreover i dislike how in many games the player just picks up tools from random locations, when the same thing should be available in their house. I mean... would you take a pair of scissors or a plastic cup if you had those in your apartment? Why? :=

Ok, an adventure game isn't a book you read, but imo it is better to keep some of the same logic re item picking :)
If you make an adventure game 100% logical and like real life, what would be the point of making it? The whole point of fiction is to not be real life.
In real life the only items I usually take with me when I leave my house are my wallet, keys, and cell phone. And very rarely do I get anything from anywhere else that I don't pay for.
How fun would a game be where every problem you have is solved by buying what you want from a store or picking up your cell phone and looking up an answer?

KyriakosCH

Imo even that is considerably better than somehow needing to have a specific bit of metal/wood/plastic/whatever you just happened to find in a room or on the street :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

I'm more inclined to B, because I believe that you should find the door before finding the key. I do not like picking up an item at the start of the game, whose use is only at the END of the game. I would much prefer it if I could only have acquired that item at the end of the game. I remember Thimbleweed Park having a few items like that, which was jarring since Ron Gilbert was the one who came up with the concept of finding the door before finding the key. As a matter of fact, I think it was a literal key as well. ???

But as everyone else has been saying, it can be really weird when a character will refuse to pick up one item, saying he doesn't need it right now. I suppose it can make a nice joke if you do it once, but otherwise you'll want to make that item unavailable in some other way. So that people will know for certain when they can pick it up.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 20/07/2018 13:59:37
I'm more inclined to B, because I believe that you should find the door before finding the key. I do not like picking up an item at the start of the game, whose use is only at the END of the game. I would much prefer it if I could only have acquired that item at the end of the game. I remember Thimbleweed Park having a few items like that, which was jarring since Ron Gilbert was the one who came up with the concept of finding the door before finding the key. As a matter of fact, I think it was a literal key as well. ???

But as everyone else has been saying, it can be really weird when a character will refuse to pick up one item, saying he doesn't need it right now. I suppose it can make a nice joke if you do it once, but otherwise you'll want to make that item unavailable in some other way. So that people will know for certain when they can pick it up.

I recall trying to open a parcel wraped in gift-paper, in Cruise for a Corpse. The controlled character turned towards me and said: "How would you like it if WE opened your presents"? (laugh)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk