Commissar's Contrapasso

Started by Blondbraid, Tue 10/07/2018 18:40:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Commissar's Contrapasso is a story about an arrogant soviet commissar
who follows the official doctrines of the party with little regard for the simple soldiers beneath him, until he finds himself caught alone behind enemy lines that is.

What follows is a darkly humorous adventure with many strange turns. Whether or not the commissar will make it out alive depends on you, the player.

This game is set in the same setting as my previous games Sniper and Spotter being patriotic, Sniper and spotter serving the motherland and Fallen soldier,
but it is a standalone title which can be played and enjoyed without any knowledge of the previous games.

If you want to look more at the development process of the game, follow this link.

Click here to download the game!

Cassiebsg

Wooowwooo! It's out! :D
looking forward to play it later tonight. (nod)

EDIT: Oh rats and double rats. It's on GameJolt. :~( Any chance for a mirror?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 10/07/2018 18:46:51
Wooowwooo! It's out! :D
looking forward to play it later tonight. (nod)

EDIT: Oh rats and double rats. It's on GameJolt. :~( Any chance for a mirror?
I just added a mirror link to mediafire on the game page, but how come you have a problem with GameJolt?

Cassiebsg

Thanks! Downloaded. (nod)

It just doesn't work on my old browser. (wrong)

Creamy

Awesome ;-D

I've tried it and love the cutscenes.
The red and pink fonts don't read very well though.

Cassiebsg

Playing it... I kind of panicked for a few minutes when I was unable to find the save button. But found it saves automatically. (nod)

I have noticed a few minor bugs, while playing, but nothing that ruins the experience except:
Spoiler

In the basement, I walked into the lift room, and of course I immediately went straight to the controls, to play with the button and lever... all fine, expect Victor blocked me in place and I was unable to leave that spot from that moment on. :(
I had to close the game and restart it. Good thing it autosaves at the entry. (nod)
[close]

selmiak

wohah, finally! Congrats on the release Blondbraid! Will play asap! :)

Mandle

I've been waiting for this one!

(I wonder how many other people kept misreading it as "Commissar's Contraption" because of the way AGS cuts off thread names...(laugh) )

Gurok

Congrats on the release, Blondbraid! Man, it's been a long time. Hope to try this out on the weeekend.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Blondbraid

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 10/07/2018 21:58:53
Awesome ;-D

I've tried it and love the cutscenes.
The red and pink fonts don't read very well though.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Sorry about the font colors, I didn't find them hard to read when I worked on the game, but I'll think about it next time!
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 10/07/2018 22:09:56
Playing it... I kind of panicked for a few minutes when I was unable to find the save button. But found it saves automatically. (nod)

I have noticed a few minor bugs, while playing, but nothing that ruins the experience except:
Spoiler

In the basement, I walked into the lift room, and of course I immediately went straight to the controls, to play with the button and lever... all fine, expect Victor blocked me in place and I was unable to leave that spot from that moment on. :(
I had to close the game and restart it. Good thing it autosaves at the entry. (nod)
[close]
How unfortunate that you encountered a bug, but I'm glad that you were able to finish the game anyway, and that you liked the game.

As for you others, I'm happy that you're downloading my game and I hope that you'll like it too! ;-D

Mandle

I just finished playing and the game was excellent!!!

So much time must have been put into the cutscenes and animations here and there! And we know to already expect the horrors-of-war bits after the previous games. These were also well placed and a constant reminder of the insanity going on all around.

I really felt that my time spent had been worth it to experience the story and I felt satisfied with the ending.

Now, here's where I get a little bit critical:

Spoiler
The game was mostly linear. I often felt like I was just getting pulled along by the nose into the next sequence of the story. At the point fixing the truck engine I got a bit excited that I might have to figure out a puzzle but it was just a joke solution.

After this point I knew that I just had to do what the game wanted me to do to proceed with the story so it became a bit of a visual novel after that. There weren't many actual puzzles except for a couple of inventory matching ones which were more just mashing everything together you have (The grenade inside the Russian doll puzzle was nice but was solved by mashing after dying many times).

The story was still very good and I liked that the two main characters got at least a hug at the end (a hesitant kiss might have been nice).

A bit more put into the gameplay to match the excellent story would make this game a classic!
[close]

Riaise

Yay, great work, Blondbraid! I'm looking forward to playing this as soon as I can! ;-D

selmiak

typo:
when 'using the dead soldier' in front of the manhole he says corpes instead of corpses.

also
Spoiler
I need something conductive down the manhole but can't find it. Victor seems to have lost the pin and I can't cut open the mattress for a spring or so
[close]

Blondbraid

Mandle - Great that you liked my game! I suppose I could have added more challenging puzzles, the problem was that the people who test-played the game for me aren't avid adventure-game players
and struggled a lot more with the puzzles and inventory than most people here in the forums would do. As for the ending,
Spoiler
I toyed with the Idea of giving the protagonists a more explicitly romantic relationship, but was worried that it would come off as rushed given the time frame the story takes place in, but I definitively have plans to expand on their relationship if I get around to making a sequel. ;)
[close]
Still, I'm happy that you liked the story and found the ending satisfying!

Selmiak - Thanks for pointing out the typo!
As for your question, I've started a Hints and tips thread and will post the answer there.

AnasAbdin

Congrats Blondbraid on the release ;-D
I'm enjoying this a lot. the little jokes are very well made. I will get back with an essay once I finish it (laugh)

<3 <3 <3 <3

CrashPL

Aw yeah, congratulations on yet another excellent release, Blondbraid! :D Really looking forward to give it a go as soon as I can!

Blondbraid

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 12/07/2018 16:34:30
Congrats Blondbraid on the release ;-D
I'm enjoying this a lot. the little jokes are very well made. I will get back with an essay once I finish it (laugh)
Quote from: CrashPL on Thu 12/07/2018 18:21:48
Aw yeah, congratulations on yet another excellent release, Blondbraid! :D Really looking forward to give it a go as soon as I can!
Thank you both, I look forward to hearing your opinions!
I've added a new trailer on the game page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9V2bbbCobQ

Cassiebsg

Wait! I don't remember seeing that scene with the card castle... 8-0

Shadow1000

I played this game and here are my comments:

First, I don't need to compliment the graphics and animation. Anyone looking at the screenshots and trailer video can see that Blondbraid's skill is excellent in this area (most of us knew that already, anyway ;))

The strongest point of this project is how once again, Blondbraid deals with the horrors of war from another angle. I would suspect that most players will be emotionally pulled into the game and it's hard not to be moved.

As far as the puzzles, I do agree with Mandle that some higher sophistication of the puzzles would be a nice touch, but I feel that this is not so much the point of the game.

Taking Mandle's example:

Spoiler
Sure, in most games fixing the truck engine would be a task involving finding parts or creating them, perhaps finding instructions or someone to help, assembling the engine and so on. But this point here is exactly that where a logical person expects there to be a real problem to solve, the bureaucratic nitwit didn't bother to check the obvious. This would be in the same line of thinking of why find a way to take out the enemy by outwitting them and saving casualties when you can have your men die rushing a machine gun.
[close]

Notwithstanding that, there's a nice mix of inventory puzzles, dialogue puzzles, maze puzzle, and some of these puzzles are fresh thinking so not a really weak area overall.

This is nother excellent work that really accomplishes what it sets out to do in a way that no one else does.

Spoiler
In short, I felt it was about the protagonist's redemption and was almost moved to tears at the ending.
[close]
Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk