Colourblindness?

Started by Babar, Wed 18/09/2019 18:51:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have any form of colourblindness?

Nope, normal colour vision
23 (92%)
I have Deuteranopia
1 (4%)
I have Protanopia
0 (0%)
I have Tritanopia
0 (0%)
I have Monochromatic vision
0 (0%)
Babar is a bad person who missed an option that covers me
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Babar

Discussion popped up on IRC where one fellow insisted "I've never met anyone with colourblindness in my life!", and I told him "A colourblind person has most definitely played your game". So the results are probably going to be matching world statistics (unless there's something unique about Adventure gamers I don't know), but I thought some awareness would be cool.
I know at least one colourblind AGSer game developer who has very pretty games, but I'm sure there are more.
Also, including that last option is probably going to skew things  :undecided:

Here's a helpful image I found (and a horrible colour palette I will now be using for my game := ). If you have some form of colourblindness, I guess the first image will look like one of the others:
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Sinitrena

I'm not colour blind.

But it's important to keep colour-blindness in mind when designing puzzles. Colour based puzzles are very common and can become impossible to solve for colour-blind people. I know that I got called out for not considering this with one of my games (it's been a while...). The easiest work-around is to lable all colour based things or, better, to work with destinctive shapes instead of colours, as much as possible.

ManicMatt

In Trails and Traces I have a puzzle reliant on matching a few colours. You can look at the objects and the main character will tell you what colour it is.

WHAM

Some low-level issues with red and green, which I believe is called Deuteranopia (my doctor never used that term back when I was diagnosed as a kid).
Very minor issue, but I can't make out most of those circles with the coloured dots. In a game I think I recall an issue with the old Medal of Honor -game, where the password entry screen was black letters on yellow background, and one of the letters flashed red. I could never see that red flash in that situation, though my friends could make it out easily, so I always thought it was related to this.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Danvzare

My sister has very minor colour blindness due to her dyslexia.
Looking online, it's apparently called "Colour vision deficiency".

As for that guy who said he's never met a colour blind person in his life. Most likely he has, and either the person doesn't realise they're colour blind (because it's minor, like with my sister), or more likely, they just don't go around telling people they're colour blind. I mean honestly, who does?

As for those palettes. Those seem quite useful. It seems as though using the colours 2, 8, and 12, would be best for puzzles which require clearly identifying three colours.

I think it would be even more useful is there was some sort of tool which you could feed an image into, and it would output a version of what a colour blind person would see. Therefore you could see how things look and work within your game. For example, to ensure an important object doesn't blend into the background.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 19/09/2019 13:52:36I think it would be even more useful is there was some sort of tool which you could feed an image into, and it would output a version of what a colour blind person would see. Therefore you could see how things look and work within your game. For example, to ensure an important object doesn't blend into the background.

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

https://www.toptal.com/designers/colorfilter/

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/colour-blindness-experience-it/ (actually a collection of links to other simulators)

If you can think of it, it's probably online somewhere  :-D

(No, I'm not talking about Rule 34 you bunch of...)

Crimson Wizard

I guess it would be not too hard to add "colorblind" shaders to AGS.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 19/09/2019 14:48:10
I guess it would be not too hard to add "colorblind" shaders to AGS.
Or if it's just about one puzzle or scene in question, simply take a screenshot and desaturate it in Photoshop.

But otherwise, I'd second what Sinitrena said, plus when it comes to text in game I think all devs should have either light text with a dark outline/background bar, or black text on a fair background.
It's already the default in speech fonts for AGS, but I've seen far too many movies and other video games ignore these criteria, and with DVD menues, many have just had so terrible design that even
I as a person with full color vision have a hard time seeing what I've selected because the selected option is only a smidge different hue than the default text option.

But the hardest problem to solve would proabably be in games where you use recolors of the same sprites for different characters or enemy classes. I mean, just look at this Age of Empires Screenshot with and without color:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk