Private Detective

Started by Danvzare, Fri 20/07/2018 12:47:29

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

I know, and that's what I did and I found a few matches. But then I entered more apartments, took stuff but couldn't compare it anymore.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Sat 28/07/2018 13:58:40
I know, and that's what I did and I found a few matches. But then I entered more apartments, took stuff but couldn't compare it anymore.

Ahhh, you only have a set number of compares that you can do per case per item...

After that you are clueless...

I had the same problem until I worked out that I should probably find the most likely suspect first before I even started comparing evidence and maybe wasting the few attempts I have...

As the cases are randomly generated it's really a matter of luck if you can find enough evidence to find the right suspect or not.

It would be nice to have a level-up system where you can improve your skills.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Sat 28/07/2018 09:26:53
I tried it but I don't really get how I'm supposed to play. I can only compare a limited amount of items - how can I know which ones I should compare?
First, check if they have a motive and/or an alibi.
Next, check to see what items they have. If you only found a handprint, a footprint, and a thread at the crimescene, and only one suspect has a glass, shoes, and a coat, then it's obviously that guy.
Lastly, three of the types of evidence can sort of be compared visually. Those are the threads, the torn letters, and the cigarette stubs. Use those to lower your list of suspects and better decide what to compare.
And remember, sometimes its more about ruling out who it can't be, rather than finding out who it actually is. ;)

Trust me, there's a very low chance that a case will require nothing but luck. It's definitely there, but I've yet to run into one during all of my time testing. And I've managed to complete twenty cases in a row.

cat

Ok, I could solve the case. However, there were only 3 suspects? I couldn't find the yellow one.

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Sun 29/07/2018 20:16:40
Ok, I could solve the case. However, there were only 3 suspects? I couldn't find the yellow one.

Sometimes that happens. I had a case where I could only find one. I guess it's luck of the draw and sometimes you gotta take your lumps.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Sun 29/07/2018 20:16:40
Quote from: Mandle on Mon 30/07/2018 01:40:04
Sometimes that happens. I had a case where I could only find one. I guess it's luck of the draw and sometimes you gotta take your lumps.
One of the first things I programmed, was making sure that you could always find every single suspect. As it sets up where you can find a lead, based on who you should already be able to find. So in other words, there's always at least one lead either at the crimescene, red's house, or by asking red for a lead. The next lead can either be found at the crimescene, red's house, asking red for a lead, the house of the first lead you found, or asking the person you found the first lead of. And it just goes on like that.

I've checked and double checked it, and never found a problem with it, even with my testing. Although my beta tester had the same problem you two did, which is why I looked into it so much.
If you can't find someone, it's probably because you're not looking hard enough as far as I can tell. Just break into someone's home and click on everything a whole bunch of times.
If you're absolutely certain you can't find all of the suspects, send me your save file, and I'll see what I can do. :)

cat

Ah, I maybe didn't ask for a lead.
I played again and start to get the hang of it :)

Hm, now this time I didn't find all 4 suspects again. I'm not sure I managed to ask all of them for leads because they refused to answer and I ran out of forcing them, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk