WEREWOLF GAME 2 (Phase: End-Discussion)

Started by Sinitrena, Fri 27/07/2018 11:28:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Welcome to the second round of the AGS Werewolf Game!

The werwolves have won. They reduced the last village they attacked to blood and gore. Now, they are on the loose in your town. Can you stop them?

Available Roles: (Randomly chosen once players have signed-up)

Town Roles:

The players who have Town roles do not know the roles of any other players. They will only be informed by the game host via PM of their own specific randomly-determined Town role.

Any player in the game is welcome to communicate with any other player via any form of outside communication (PM, group chat, IRC, facebook, telephone, facebook, etc.) but Town players should probably think long and deeply before doing so... Your "trusted friend" could be a wolf in sheep clothing!

Villager:
Ability: None
Alignment: Good
Description: A villager is just a normal member of the town. They have no special ability.

Goal: A villager's goal is to help eliminate all Evil alignment players from the town. A villager's only real tool to help do so is their daily vote for who to lynch. A villager wins the game even if killed before this goal is obtained and thus should be willing to sacrifice themself in the place of a more important Good role if such a situation arises.

The Seer:
Ability: Scan another player's role once per night phase.
Description: Possessing psychic powers, the seer may select another player to scan once per night phase. That player's role will become known to the seer. Selection of player and scan result is done via PM with the game host.

Goal: The seer's goal is to help eliminate all evil alignment players from the town. The seer should also seek to keep their role secret from the Evil players for as long as possible as the Evil players will be searching for the seer as their most valuable kill on their path to victory. The seer should be very careful with whom they privately share the intel they have gathered on the Evil players and should probably only publicly reveal their role and this intel in a desperate situation or if the importance of the data outweighs the risk of their own death. The seer wins along with the rest of the town if all Evil players are elimated from the town, even if the seer is already dead by this point.

The Fool:
Ability: None
Alignment: Neutral
Description: The village idiot.

Goal: The fool's goal is to get themself lynched. The fool only wins if they have been lynched. Getting killed in any other way does not count, nor can they win along with the normal town goal of eliminating all Evil players. A win by the fool does not negate any other wins in the round nor does it stop the round from continuing. The fool should try their best to somehow pose as an Evil player to hasten their lynching.

The Bodyguard:
Ability: Guard one player per night phase.
Description: The bodyguard is willing to sacrifice themself to save the life of the one they are guarding. Each night-phase the bodyguard may communicate to the game host via PM the name of the player they are guarding. If the guarded player is selected to be killed that night-phase then the bodyguard will be killed in their place and the guarded player will survive.

Goal: The bodyguard wins along with the rest of the town if all Evil players are eliminated. The bodyguard wins whether still alive at this point or not.

Scum Roles:

The players who have Scum roles all know the identity of all other scum players. This information will be given to them by the game host via PM at the start of the game.

The Scum players are strongly advised to get in touch with each other via any form of outside communication (PM, group chat, IRC, facebook, telephone, facebook, etc.) to organise their team strategy for defeating the Town...

Werewolf:
Ability: Participate in one nightly kill. Knows who all the other werewolves and alpha werewolf are.
Alignment: Evil
Description: Every night the werewolves change from human to wolf. The alpha werewolf decides the target that they will attack and kill.

Goal: The werewolves' goal is to kill all non-werewolf players. In reality this usually means reducing the town population to the point where the good players can no longer maintain a majority or tied vote against them for lynching. All werewolf players win the game at this point whether alive or dead. The werewolves should try their best to appear to be a non-werewolf role by whatever means possible.

Alpha Werewolf:
Ability: Decide on and participate in one nightly kill. Knows who all the other werewolves are.
Alignment: Evil
Description: Every night the werewolves change from human to wolf. The alpha werewolf decides the target that they will attack and kill. This decision is communicated to the game host via PM. If the alpha werewolf is ever killed (or goes inactive) a new alpha is chosen from amongst the remaining werewolves randomly by the game host.

Goal: The werewolves' goal is to kill all non-werewolf players. In reality this usually means reducing the town population to the point where the good players can no longer maintain a majority or tied vote against them for lynching. All werewolf players win the game at this point whether alive or dead. The werewolves should try their best to appear to be a non-werewolf role by whatever means possible.

(Role descriptions copied directly from Mandle's introduction of the last game.)

The Role Setup will be determined once I know the number of players (and probably with the help of Mandle, because I do this for the first time).

Gameplay Structure And Rules

Werewolf games have two phases: Day Phase and Night Phase.

Day Phase

During the Day Phase every member of the village is awake and able to post discussion and votes for lynching in the thread.

People not participating in the game or players who have died are not welcome to post in the thread at all, but are encouraged to watch on as passive viewers.

Official votes for a lynch candidate should be bolded. Non-bolded 'votes' are not counted as such and ignored.

Votes are never final until the Day Phase has officially ended and may be changed at any time until then.

Changed votes must be reposted and the original post never is to be edited! Which brings us to:

IMPORTANT RULES:

NEVER EDIT ANY OF YOUR POSTS FOR ANY REASON! IF YOU POST AND NOTICE ANYTHING IN YOUR POST THAT YOU WISH TO CHANGE IN ANY WAY THEN YOU MUST REPOST THE CORRECTION RATHER THAN EVER EDIT AN EXISTING POST.

NEVER SHOW A SCREENSHOT OF ANY PM YOUR HAVE RECEIVED FROM THE GAME HOST OR COPY/PASTE FROM ONE OR RETYPE TEXT FROM ONE OR IN ANY OTHER WAY ABUSE THIS RULE TO PROVIDE PROOF OF YOUR ROLE, OR FOR WHATEVER OTHER REASON.

Spoiler
For example: Telling another player via outside communication or posting in the thread that you have important Seer information about roles is fine, but directly quoting the PM sent from the game host from which this infromation was obtained, showing a screenshot of it, etc. is forbidden!)
[close]

EVIL PLAYERS SHOULD ALWAYS CONSULT WITH TEAM MEMBERS FIRST AND OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE MEMBER IN QUESTION BEFORE PUBLICLY OUTING THEM AS AN EVIL PLAYER AND/OR STARTING A VOTING TREND AGAINST THEM.
Spoiler
This rule exists to avoid resentment from growing within the ranks of the players in this game. It may become advantageous or even necessary at some point for the Evil players to sacrifice one or more of their own on purpose as part of their win strategy. This is known as "Throwing under the bus" in WW game terminology and is a perfectly legal move in the game. But please ask the member to be sacrificed beforehand if you plan to do this and make sure they are okay with it. The only exception would be when the player in question has gone inactive from the game and is unreachable by all other lines of communication. In this case they only have themself to blame.

Casual speculation about same-team members as being the guilty party is perfectly fine in most cases as long as the motive was for the good of the team and not intended to harm the team's or that particular player's chances in the game. This is, in fact, usually a vital strategy in winning for the Evil team players so they do not appear solidated in the eyes of the Good players. Planning such strategies out with your team members via outside communication is strongly advised, of course. Use common sense here and all should be fine.

Jumping on a bandwagon vote already established by another non-team player against a same-team member is legal without prior consultation as there may not be time to do so, but please try to consult beforehand if at all possible, or at least apologize afterwards.
[close]

PLAYERS MAY COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER VIA OUTSIDE MEANS: PM, PRIVATE GROUP FORUMS, PRIVATE IRC CHAT, FACEBOOK, TELEPHONE, CARRIER PIGEON, MENTAL TELEPATHY, OR ANY OTHER MEANS AVAILABLE. BUT PLEASE NEVER BREAK THE RULE MENTIONED ABOVE CORNCERNING DIRECT USE OF GAME HOST PMS.
Spoiler
In fact, outside communication is vital to the players whether they be Town or Scum, Evil or Good. Just be careful about who you talk with on the side. Trickery is allowed of course but rule-breaking shenanigans are not! Use common sense here please and, if in doubt, ask the game host first if the move you are planning is legal or not.
[close]

PLAYERS MAY LIE TO, TRICK, DECEIVE, OR OTHERWISE BULLSHIT, OTHER PLAYERS AS PART OF THEIR STRATEGY FOR OBTAINING THEIR WIN CONDITIONS AS LONG AS DOING SO DOES NOT BREAK ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES.
Spoiler
Werewolf games are all about playing your cards close to your chest and/or lying your ass off depending on what your role is. I hope the game can be played at a mature and pure level here in AGS without people bringing their RL friendships into the game or taking anything back out from the game to damage such friendships. Nobody should assume a RL friend is their friend in the game, nor should anyone feel that a RL friend has hurt their feelings by tricking them in the game. Common sense advice, I know, but I have seen such things happen in this game. As long as everyone has a laugh and remains friends at the end of the day no matter what happens then the game is a success.
[close]

Phases:

Day Phase

The Day Phase will be about 48 hours and end in a time frame of three hours.

During these three hours, the host may close the phase at any point but if the host runs late for any reason, players are not allowed to post after the end of the three hour time frame. (Basically, the night phase begins at the end of this time frame (even if the host is running late) or earlier.)

The game host will post now and then to provide a general idea of the amount of time left, especially when time is growing short, but Day Phases may end suddenly at any point during the pfovided three hour time frame so get those votes in while you can. Remember that they can always be changed later if you are in time!

Once the Day Phase has ended the Lynching takes place if a majority vote on a single player has been reached.

If a majority vote has not been reached then no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

Tied votes for the player to be lynched result in a stalemate and no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

It is not a requirement that the village lynch a player every Day Phase.

A lynched player's role is revealed after their death.

A lynched player may no longer post in this thread but is welcome to continue outside communication and passively follow the game progress in the thread.

For example: If the Seer is lynched by mistake it is legal for them to PM all other players and provide their list of scanned players to date. It's just assumed that they left a journal behind to be discovered or something like that. Of course, it is more dramatic if they do so while still alive in the thread as their final words, but sometimes RL timing doesn't allow such theatrics.

Night Phase:

During Night Phase most of the village is asleep and nobody may post in the game thread.

It is now time for all players with Night Phase abilities to PM their choices to the game host:

The Seer should PM the name of the player they are scanning this night.

The Bodyguard should PM the name of the player they are guarding this night, if any.

The Alpha Werewolf should PM the name of the player the werewolf pack will attack and kill this night.

Night Phase will last about 24 hours or until all night action PMs have been received by the game host.

It is legal to PM the game host with your night action before the Night Phase starts if, for any reason, you cannot maybe be active during the next Night Phase.

Do not send more than one PM with your activities to the host. The first one sent is the action that will take place.

At the end of the Night Phase the game host will send out PMs to players who did private night actions such as scanning with the results.

Then the game host will open the next Day Phase, starting with a report on any casualties which may have occured during the night.

Any players killed during the Night Phase must immediately follow the same rules as lynched players (see above): They may no longer post in this thread but are welcome to continue outside communication and passively follow the game progress in the thread.

If, at any point, the werewolves equal or outnumber the other players they win the game as there is no way for the other players to gain a majority vote against them for lynching choices.

(Rules and structures copied nearly identical from Mandel's post for the last round with slight variations.)

Rule Changes from the previous round:

These changes are mentioned above, but I understand if you didn't want to read the whole thing.

It is enough to bold the name of the player to be lynched (no need to write Vote: Player Name). That's how we did it last round anyway, so I changed the rule. But only bolded names are counted as a vote.

The Day Phase lasts 48 hours and ends in a time frame of three hours. During this time, the game host may close the phase at any point but if the host is running late, the phase ends automaticlly and the night phase starts. No more posting in the thread after these three hours. Just treat it as the beginning of the night phase with me not having done the write-up yet.

If you have the ability for an action at night, only the first PM the host recieves is counted and happens. I don't think this was an issue last time, I just want to make it clear. So, think first, sent the PM then.

That's all for now. Sign-ups are open.

Current Phase: Sign-up

Cassiebsg

QuoteYour "trusted friend" could be a wolf in cheap clothing!

I just wanted to point out that going in cheap clothes isn't as bad as going in sheep clothes. (laugh)

Anyway, good luck to those brave souls signing up for the second round. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Sign me up for round two. I wanna redeem myself.

Sinitrena

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 27/07/2018 12:08:05
QuoteYour "trusted friend" could be a wolf in cheap clothing!

I just wanted to point out that going in cheap clothes isn't as bad as going in sheep clothes. (laugh)

Don't you know? Having a bad sense of style is the worst sin ever. (laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Corrected

dayowlron

I am wanting to have another go with this.
What does this mean? The Day Phase lasts 48 hours and ends in a time frame of three hours. The night phase lasts 3 hours or you have a 3 hour window around the 48 hour window to end the day?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

Sinitrena

Quote from: dayowlron on Fri 27/07/2018 12:58:28
What does this mean? The Day Phase lasts 48 hours and ends in a time frame of three hours. The night phase lasts 3 hours or you have a 3 hour window around the 48 hour window to end the day?

The Day Phase lasts around 48 hours.
The last 3 hours of these 48 hours are the time frame I have to close the round. (Or the last two hours of those 48 and one after, so Day Phase might last between 46 to 49 hours, or one houre before and two after - You get the picture. I will definitvely tell you the exact times at the beginning of each Day Phase.)
If I run late for whatever reason, the Day Phase ends even without my input at an exact time. (You still need to wait for me to write up what happened but you can treat the thread as if the Night Phase had started.)
Then, Night Phase begins, which lasts about 24 hours.

This is just a contingency in case something RL comes up for me like it did for Mandle last Day Phase of the previous game. It's supposed to be a mixture of closing at an exact time (which would unfortunately allow tactics based on last second posts) and closing on the whim of the game master (which could have been unfair in the last round when someone could have changed their lynch-vote even after the Day Phase should have ended).

Mandle

Awwww, no cool title graphics at all to set the mood?

Sinitrena

You'll get all the atmosphere you could ever wish for once the game starts. Promised.

Riaise

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 27/07/2018 13:23:14
You'll get all the atmosphere you could ever wish for once the game starts. Promised.

Sweeeeeet!

tzachs

dayowlron

By my count we are up to 6 players so far?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

selmiak

I'll just watch this game this time, have fun :-D

josiah1221

You can count me in... look out Stu! (laugh)

Sinitrena

Seven players so far. More players would be better, but I'm sure you don't want to wait forever for the game to start.

I leave sign-up open for another 24 hours. Come on, guys and gals, this is fun. :-*

Current Phase: Still Sign-up

VampireWombat

Well, alright. Guess I'll try again.

Sinitrena

Sign-up is now closed.

We have the following players:

Stupot
dayowlron
Mandle
Riaise
tzachs
Adeel
josiah1221
VampireWombat

You'll recieve PMs with your roles in the next couple of minutes.

Please do not post in this thread until my next post when the game starts.

Current Phase: Set-up

Sinitrena

The last village they attacked was left in shambles. Doors were ripped from their frames, children from the arms of their parents. First, you just heard rumours, whispered in the dark. They come closer. Day after day, night after night, they come closer. Monsters, werewolves.

Now you know that it weren‘t just rumours. You haven‘t seen it with your own eyes. You are glad of that. If the reports are true...

You know that they are. It started here now, too. Animals were ripped apart last night. Sheeps on the field, a whole herd, the guard dog. The shepeard heard it yowl. And he heard the howling of the wolves.

Now you look into the eyes of your neighbours. You see fear there, panic even. When you meet them on the market place, you flinch. You start to distrust.

Because the rumours change their tone. Now, they do not speak of monsters coming from afar in the night, but from monsters in your midsts. From infections. From demons possessing your friends and neighbours.

Or you? Are you one of them?

Role Setup:

1 Seer
1 Fool
1 Guard
3 Villagers
1 Alpha Wolf
1 Wolf

So that people do not get confused with time zones, I will use BST (British Summer Time), which is, if I'm not mistaken, what the forum uses as its standard time (meaning the one shown when you are not logged-in).

The game starts with a Day Phase of about 48 hours that will end 1. August between 6 PM and 9 PM. If I am running late, the last allowed post would have a time-stamp of exactly 9 PM. Should you accidentally post after this time, please edit your post immediately.

From now on, only players are allowed to post in this thread.

Discuss, play, role-play (not recuired, but certainly allowed) and, most important, have fun.

Current Phase: Day 1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk