Let's Curate a Halloween Watchlist.

Started by Stupot, Sat 28/07/2018 16:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

October is still a little way away but I had the idea of putting together an ultimate horror-themed watchlist by the AGS community.

Obviously, I don't expect anyone would actually watch all 31 films in 31 days but we can all try to watch some of them, perhaps even watching them together and chatting about them in the forum or on Discord and IRC. If at least a few people are watching one of the films on any given day and keeping the thread alive then that would be awesome.

I've come up with a preliminary list of ten horror categories with the idea that we could all choose ten films that fit these ten categories and then together we can compile a list of 30 (assuming that number 31 is going to be Halloween). We can discuss any adjustments or changes over the next few days before settling on a final ten, but for now, here is that list:

• Curses/witchcraft
  • Possession/demonic
  • Undead (zombies/vampires)
  • Ghost stories
  • Slasher flicks
  • Psychological horror
  • Creatures/monsters
  • Comedy/parody
  • Miscellaneous horror
  • Miscellaneous not-necessarily horror.

As you can see, I've included a non-horror option with the idea that we could have a little breather from horror at regular intervals throughout the month. If people think that's a lame idea we can scrap it. There will obviously be some cross-over between the categories, but they are just intended as a guideline to make sure we get a good spread of horror.

Here's how I see things working (it's just a rough outline for now):

Step 1 (3-4 days) Discuss the categories and settle on a final ten.
Step 2 (2-3 weeks) Fill in this Google Form with your ten films*. We can discuss our choices in the thread while this is going on.
Step 3 (2-3 weeks) Compile all the suggestions and choose three from each category to get 30 films. Also discuss where to place each film in the month.
Step 4 (2-3 weeks) Locate, borrow, rent, as many of the films as we can. We can share information on where to stream or buy the films. We may even be able to lend/gift each other some of the films.
Step 5 (October) Watch the films. One film will be assigned to each day. We can watch them individually or try to synchronise so we can chat about them as we watch.

* This isn't necessarily a voting process. These are just recommendations. We will discuss which films to include in step 3. Of course films that lots of people chose will get priority but I want to compile a diverse and eclectic spread, so some editorial decisions with be discussed. Also, it would be nice to try and make sure that everybody gets at least one of their suggestions onto the list.

A couple things I want to point out before we start talking and making our choices:

Try to ensure that your 10 contains a mixture of tones and settings.

Try to include a spread of movies from a range of eras. From black and white monster movies through 80s slashers to something released just this year.

Preferably think about how readily available the films are for most people to rent, stream or buy cheaply (and legally if possible). It's not expected that anyone will actually watch all 31 films over the month but would be nice if as many people as possible had the best chance to watch as many as they can/want.

All that is to say, try not to show off too much by listing a bunch of obscure films that no one else has heard of. It's not intended as a contest of horror geekery. Of course, a handful of little known gems would be great, so please think of one or two, but I hope to expect some big-hitters in there, too. Feel free to even include one or two titles that you haven't actually seen yet yourself.

Who's in?

VampireWombat

Sounds fun. I try to watch at least one Halloween type thing every day in October anyway. And this week I had been looking for new stuff to buy this year anyway.

KyriakosCH

Some recent and imo quite good horror films:

-Witchcraft

Blackcoat's daughter

-Psychological horror

The badadook
It follows

-Creature

The Lord of Tears
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Buckethead

Nice idea. Reminds me a bit of Monster Madness from Cinemassacre. Maybe some inspiration could be gotten from it:
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/

They have reviews of a wide range of genres and time periods.

VampireWombat

The Babadook and It Follows are two I was probably going to watch this year anyway. I was going to last year, but it didn't happen. Along with Cult of Chucky...

Ah, Monster Madness. Been awhile since I watched that. I mostly remember Godzilla and other Kaiju type movies on his lists.

Edit: Oh, right... Stages. I'm not sure about a need to discuss categories. Those 10 should fill any sub-genres needed.

Mandle

One of the greatest Halloween movies of all time is:

Trick R Treat!!!

If the Jack O' Lantern/ Halloween trope-count in that movie doesn't go off your scare-scale then you have scare-failed!

VampireWombat

Yes, I've watched Trick R Treat pretty much every Halloween since I first saw it.
But I have no scare scale. The last movie to actually scare me was White Noise, and that was a jump scare.
Before that was... Superman 3.

Stupot

Alright. Seems like nobody has any thoughts about the list so I'll leave it with those ten categories.

Now, Step 2.

Fill in this Google Form with your suggestions for each of the categories.

Please read the guidelines above if you haven't already.

Remember this isn't a voting process but just a way of giving us a nice pool of titles to consider.

Danvzare

I would love to give some suggestions, but unfortunately the only horror genre I watched enough of to be able to suggest any films, is the Slasher genre.
So I can't really suggest much in any of the other categories. So I'll leave this to the professionals. :)

VampireWombat

Yay, the form stage.

Danvzare - So, pretty much just Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface for you?

Stupot

@Dan - You can still enter a suggestion for as many or few of the categories as you want. Plus there's a lot of films that would fit in more than one category, so you could probably for a slasher film into at least three or four of the categories :-) Plus, you're invited to suggest films that you might not have even seen yet.

Also, this is open for everybody, not just the ‘professionals' as you say. I welcome one or two obscure titles that only the true horror buffs have heard of, but that's not what this is about.

VampireWombat

Pst. You forgot the "e" from one. Unless you meant "On for each category below."

And it was harder to fill the form out than I expected. I couldn't think of any Psychological Horror I've seen to recommend. So I just had to go with something I haven't seen yet. I had also forgotten that the majority of the horror movies I own are from the 80s and 90s.

Danvzare

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 02/08/2018 13:02:53
Yay, the form stage.

Danvzare - So, pretty much just Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface for you?
And Chucky. :-D

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/08/2018 13:08:15
@Dan - You can still enter a suggestion for as many or few of the categories as you want. Plus there's a lot of films that would fit in more than one category, so you could probably for a slasher film into at least three or four of the categories :-) Plus, you're invited to suggest films that you might not have even seen yet.

Also, this is open for everybody, not just the ‘professionals' as you say. I welcome one or two obscure titles that only the true horror buffs have heard of, but that's not what this is about.
Alright then, thanks. I'll see about filling it in then. :-D

And... done. There were only two categories I couldn't think of any film for. And one category where I added a film which I hadn't watched, but I had watched the sequels of.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 02/08/2018 13:26:37
And Chucky. :-D
Ah. You could probably fill in half the categories using a Child's Play movie.

Curses/witchcraft: Child's Play
Comedy/parody: Seed of Chucky
Psychological horror: Curse of Chucky
Miscellaneous horror: Child's Play 3

And any of them could maybe be considered slasher and/or possession. If possessing a toy counts...

TheFrighter

Done!

I suggested all italiano movies, because we italiani do it better! (laugh)

Curses/witches
End Roll (2012) http://www.filmartstudios.com/it/film/end-roll/
Demonic/possession
Adam Chaplin (2011)
Undead (zombies/vampires)
Zombie Massacre (2013) https://www.facebook.com/ZOMBIE-MASSACRE-The-Movie-241516259217674/
Ghosts
La morte di pietra (2008)
Slasher flick
46 Wounds (2012)
Spoiler
Pschological horror
Una pura formalità  (1994)
Creatures/Monsters
I Love You Like a Twist (2012)
Comedy/parody
Non nuotate in quel fiume (2016)
Miscellaneous horror
The Wicked Gift (2017)
Miscellaneous non-horror
Viva la scimmia (2002)

_

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/08/2018 04:17:56
Alright. Seems like nobody has any thoughts about the list so I'll leave it with those ten categories.

Now, Step 2.

Fill in this Google Form with your suggestions for each of the categories.

Please read the guidelines above if you haven't already.

Remember this isn't a voting process but just a way of giving us a nice pool of titles to consider.

Filling a form? That might be too much work := := :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

cat

Does anyone who is not a native German speaker know Staplerfahrer Klaus? It's about Klaus who has just got his forklift driver license and his first day at work in style of work safety videos. Give it a try: it's only 10 minutes, you don't really need to understand German and it's absolute cult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z77oztO6UQ (category would be splatter/parody)

LimpingFish

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 02/08/2018 04:17:56

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. :-[

I can get on board with the categories as they stand, though, and I've submitted in my choices (which can be viewed below...or not, if we want to preserve the mystery!):

Spoiler
Curses/witches:
Suspiria (ITA, 1977)

Demonic/possession:
The Blackcoat's Daughter (US, 2015)

Undead (zombies/vampires)
Lifeforce (UK, 1985)

Ghosts
The Devil's Backbone (SPA/MEX, 2001)

Slasher flick
Phenomena (ITA, 1985)

Psychological horror
Infection (JPN, 2004)

Creatures/Monsters
Splinter (US, 2008)

Comedy/parody
Rubber (US, 2010)

Miscellaneous horror
Resolution (US, 2012)

Miscellaneous non-horror
The Nice Guys (US, 2016)
[close]

I tried to keep the obscure/accessible ratio fairly level (one or two are even on Netflix/Amazon Prime), and each title sufficiently different from the next.  Having said that, I could probably fill out that list a dozen times over with different movies depending on my mood. I really am that fickle!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

VampireWombat

Well, I've heard of about half of those movies. And seen none. But one of them reminds me that I think I have a copy of Hobo With a Shotgun lying around somewhere.

Stupot

Any more interest? Only 4 people have made filled in the form so far.
I'll give it another week before moving onto step three.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk