Someone’s having trouble registering.

Started by Stupot, Tue 31/07/2018 14:54:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Click'd

How does this even work? Spammers found this site who knows how long ago, and kept trying despite it not working? So that once it DID work they got through?  :shocked:

Crimson Wizard

Very often when I try to quote a post, a big orange "Loading..." message appears on top of the page, and it remains like that indefinitely. This happened before on some occasions, but now it happens almost all the time.

Khris

Quote from: Too much clicking on Tue 11/12/2018 23:53:26
How does this even work? Spammers found this site who knows how long ago, and kept trying despite it not working? So that once it DID work they got through?  :shocked:
It's not a person, it's bots.

CW: you should be getting error messages in the browser console. Troubleshooting issues like that is usually straightforward, if you know the error message.

cat

Test

Edit: Wow, I tried Firefox from home, from the phone and from work, Chrome from work and now IE from work. The only browser where I was able to post was IE11 8-0 ??? :-X

Crimson Wizard

Right, so the error I am getting when trying to quote someone:

Code: ags

editor.js?fin20:625 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'pasteHTML' of null
    at smc_Editor.insertText (editor.js?fin20:625)
    at QuickReply.onQuoteReceived (topic.js:170)
    at XMLHttpRequest.oMyDoc.onreadystatechange (script.js?fin20:88)

Gilbert

Quote from: cat on Wed 12/12/2018 10:03:56
IE11
I never tried other browsers, but the forums still work with the latest version of Opera that is still using the Presto engine (the move to using Chrome's engine made me stop updating it), maybe for some reasons the current forum software favours more towards outdated old classic browsers?

AGA

SMF has built in hacks for Opera, among other browsers. It's very old software, from the days before web compatibility was as (relatively) standardised as it is today. And unfortunately it's the best solution for our requirements, so not easily replaced.

I'll try changing the input method used tonight.

Sinitrena

Quote from: AGA on Tue 11/12/2018 21:17:25
Sinitrena at least, the level of WYSYWIGness you get is a setting in your user profile.  There you can choose whether to display smileys, text options, etc etc.  Try changing that setting, see if it helps?

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it doesn't. I tried several settings but at most I managed to turn off smilys as well. That's my current Setting:

Those are the relevant options, aren't they? And that should show all buttons? (Just to make sure I didn't miss an option.)

That's what the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page Looks like:

And that's the one when I use the Reply button:

AGA

What about now?  I switched you to use the other display theme (AGS Compact).  I'm wondering if that could be related somehow, since I use AGS Compact and have no problems with the post editor...

Sinitrena

They are back! They look different then what I'm used to but who cares about that?  :-* Thank you.

Edit: And I was able to post this with Firefox. No idea if this is due to the same change or something else you did, but I can use my prefered Browser again!

cat

It worked! I set my theme to AGS Compact as well and I can post with Firefox.

AGA

Okay, I give up.  I've compared every file in the AGS and AGSCompact themes, and they're identical except for a few lines of CSS.  I've tried replacing the whole AGS theme folder with a copy of the AGSCompact folder (so zero differences), but the editor issue still appears.  As a workaround I've reset everyone's theme to AGSCompact, so at least no one will experience this anymore...
If someone wants to try to debug the issue, I'm happy to give them access to the AGS theme again.  If you have the AGS theme set, there is a JS error in the console, which then disappears if you change theme to AGSCompact (even when the files are identical...).

Stupot

test

Okay. I'm in. I couldn't post yesterday.

I'm liking the new style buttons. They're pretty buggy at the moment but once it's all ironed out it'll make it must quicker to do from my phone rather than keep farting about with square brackets.

Cheers AGA

tzachs

I'm getting the same "Cannot read property 'pasteHTML' of null" when clicking on the "quote" button from chrome.
I debugged it a little bit. getRange in forums/themes/default/scripts/editor.js (line 916) returns null.
getRange calls getSelect, and the oSelection object is returned empty (i.e rangeCount == 0) which is why it returns null.
In getSelect itself both bWantText and bWantHTMLText are undefined, so it goes to line 898 ("this.oFrameWindow.getSelection") which returns the empty selection.

At this point, I thought, I didn't select any text, I just clicked the quote button, why should it call getSelection at all?
Unless maybe there's another piece of code that is supposed to select the text before calling this and the problem is that it didn't?

So I tried again, only this time I selected some text before clicking the quote button, but it didn't seem to help, getSelection still returns an empty selection.
I also tried this.oFrameDocument.getSelection (instead of oFrameWindow) but it also returns an empty selection even when text is selected, so not sure what to think.

Crimson Wizard

AGA, could you please tell what happened to the issue tracker? will it be back, and if not is there any way to access its data?

Khris

Quote from: Khris on Tue 11/12/2018 16:32:34
The very first thing people should do is clear the entire cache for adventuregamestudio.co.uk
This should solve some of the issues.
Quoting works fine for me.

Edit: sorry, no, it doesn't on Chrome.

Edit2: Here's a tampermonkey script that will fix the quote button.(not the "insert quote" button on the reply page though)

AGA

I'm happy to apply it on the server, if you can give me a patched version of the relevant js file.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk