MAGS August "Censorship" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/08/2018 10:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup
0 (0%)
The Campaign Of Daphne White
2 (16.7%)
Cyborg Seppuku
9 (75%)
The Man Who Liked Cats
0 (0%)
Vacant Bodies
1 (8.3%)
Fists of Murder
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Mon 17/09/2018 05:06:38

VampireWombat

So, hopefully a game size of 426x240/240p won't be too weird. It seemed a good compromise and puts human game sprites at about the same size as a lot of arcade game sprites. I'm not 100% happy with what I have, but it's time to move on. My plan is now to create 1 background and do some programming for that room every day. Then this weekend I plan to add details and fill in whatever gaps may be missing. And the following days I plan to add any refinements left. Animations, music, etc.
No leaving things last minute this time...

Slasher

VampireWombat:  I like a man with a plan.. (nod)

DBoyWheeler

The collab project between me and Blondbeard is going well.

Right now it's the coding phase.  Once I'm done with coding, I'll test it out at my end, and then show it to Blondbeard to see if there's any debugging needed.  We can probably worry about music and sound effects after that.

The Outer Zone

Okay then. Here goes:

My game in it's current state: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J-dylqMbif2vgzauEqofjQZ9UMVHEA-X?usp=sharing

I would love to get any kind of feedback. Probably can't correct all mistakes / make all ideas you come up with, but I can try!
The important thing is to see what works and what doesn't - and if it runs at all :)

There is no sound yet and all graphics are placeholder.
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Slasher

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Tue 21/08/2018 00:34:25
Okay then. Here goes:

My game in it's current state: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J-dylqMbif2vgzauEqofjQZ9UMVHEA-X?usp=sharing

I would love to get any kind of feedback. Probably can't correct all mistakes / make all ideas you come up with, but I can try!
The important thing is to see what works and what doesn't - and if it runs at all :)

There is no sound yet and all graphics are placeholder.
Spoiler

Well, the graphics are different... I like (nod)
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Tue 21/08/2018 00:34:25
I haven't played much yet, but so far it's looking like a well made game. Not much other feedback I can give at the moment, sorry.

Edit: After going back to the game, I have one piece of feedback. You need to create a screen for choosing to create a new game or load a game. Not an issue for most MAGS games, but since yours immediately starts with dialog and doesn't have a break for quite awhile, it requires holding the esc down for a minute or two.
Either using a room or a GUI should work.

Also, it's kind of funny that your version of Alexa shares a name with an allergy medication.

Creamy

QuoteThe collab project between me and Blondbeard is going well.

Right now it's the coding phase.  Once I'm done with coding, I'll test it out at my end, and then show it to Blondbeard to see if there's any debugging needed.  We can probably worry about music and sound effects after that.

So, you're making a game with Anas Abdin :P

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, I mistakenly called Blondbraid "Blondbeard".  In game even!  Oops! :-[

Anyway, our entry is completed:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2277/

Mandle

I just played and left a comment in the release thread. What a charming little game!!!

Slasher

I'm glad to see a couple of entries released and in good time (nod)

Of course, I'v fallen behind and trying to catch up before the deadline (laugh)

Meanwhile, I am into quest 4......

It's been a struggle to say the least, but I hope that what I have done is enough to keep players playing through all quests.

Quests can be side-tracked at any time by going to another quest and returning later...

Cassiebsg is helping with some of the backgrounds.

Can you successfully defy MP Daphne White's censorship policy laws?

The Outer Zone

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 21/08/2018 12:29:12
Edit: After going back to the game, I have one piece of feedback. You need to create a screen for choosing to create a new game or load a game. Not an issue for most MAGS games, but since yours immediately starts with dialog and doesn't have a break for quite awhile, it requires holding the esc down for a minute or two.
Either using a room or a GUI should work.

Also, it's kind of funny that your version of Alexa shares a name with an allergy medication.

Thanks a lot for the feedback VampireWombat - and also Slasher :)

I took the name Allegra from eXistenZ - dont know about the allergy medication as I'm from Denmark :-D

Good idea with the menu. I guess it's a bit annoying when taking a break from the game to sit through that intro again. Thank you!
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Slasher

Oh, DBoyWheeler...please please make your speech fonts bigger, I find them difficult to read (nod)

VampireWombat

Quote from: The Outer Zone on Wed 22/08/2018 09:42:33
Thanks a lot for the feedback VampireWombat - and also Slasher :)

I took the name Allegra from eXistenZ - dont know about the allergy medication as I'm from Denmark :-D

Good idea with the menu. I guess it's a bit annoying when taking a break from the game to sit through that intro again. Thank you!
Welcome.

Ah, okay. Funny how the only name I can remember from that despite watching it last month is Gas...
I didn't think you had chosen it for being an allergy medication name. But my first thought was Alexa and then at one point I remembered the medication.

And yeah, you probably didn't even think about the menu because in play testing you know exactly what to do. Of course having a pause before everything starts could work too. But a starting menu also adds a bit more professional look.

Edit: Just finished it. Good job. Definitely better than any of my games so far.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 22/08/2018 11:03:45
Oh, DBoyWheeler...please please make your speech fonts bigger, I find them difficult to read (nod)

Not sure how.  I was using the default fonts.  Don't know how to make them bigger without effing them up.

Slasher

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 22/08/2018 13:25:52
Quote from: Slasher on Wed 22/08/2018 11:03:45

Not sure how.  I was using the default fonts.  Don't know how to make them bigger without effing them up.
You can simply re-import an existing font or import a new one and set it's size as you do so.

You can import over speech font and set its size to say 12/14 whatever.

It's quite easy...

I have a folder of fonts I can use for just such purpose.

Cassiebsg

@The Outer Zone: Just played it and finished. Good job. (nod)

A few minor bugs/sugestions:
Spoiler

1) Like VW mentioned the intro is rather long, just add a StarCutscene(ESC Only); (or any key, or something) at the start, and EndCutscene(); once you are done with it.

2) You text if running waayyy too fast. Please either set it to a slower pace (AGS default is too fast), or add an option in the settings.

3) Ask for some help with proofreading. I noticed several spelling errors.
Spoiler alert:
Spoiler

4) When you go in to the elevator a second time, the door closes and only then you remove the player character, leaving the character visible above the door. You can play with the door baseline so the character is behind the door, or just turn the character invisible once he enters, close the door, change room and turn him visible before fade-in.

5) I broke the pipe before I knew which pipe to break (I only noticed the plaque after I broke it). Guess I was lucky to hit the right one at first click? (laugh) (roll) You might want to check that the player knows which one to break before he does it. ;)
[close]
[close]

Those are the ones I caught.
I love the sketch art! (nod) That is definitely different. (laugh) And I loved the puzzles. Hope to play the finished version soon. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Final quest is well underway..

A bit of reverse-engineering was needed on this quest... the second half is like 80% done and the first half like 30% done....

Will I make it on time (roll)

Waiting for you S (laugh)

VampireWombat

I have faith in you Slasher.

But I'm having doubts about myself now. I'm wondering if it would be better to cut the game shorter and focus more on animations and making the art look as good as possible. Or do I go with the full story I currently have, which will be underwhelming past a certain point since I don't have the time to do it full justice?
I'm also wondering if I should go ahead with using verbs or just simplify to use and look.

Yeah, I'm just going to simplify things. The ending will be open ended to be continued and I'll wait on using the verbs until then too. Luckily it's built on the BASS template, so all I have to do to remove the verb part is dummy out a few lines.

Slasher

VampireWombat: But I'm having doubts about myself now.
Never doubt yourself or your abilities..... just fine tune what you have and get rid of all the rough edges.

Planning is a key element that is vital for whatever you create.

I really wish you lots of luck with your decisions and hope to see you at the finishing line.

Meanwhile: second half of quest 4 is like 82% done and the first half is like 80% done.

There is still hope (nod)

Cassiebsg

@Slasher: I should have that machine ready for you, just adding the hoist and then I'll start the other one you sent me... but I'm losing track of what is done and what is missing and what is "waiting" for final version.
Could PM me with the name of each room and current state please? ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk