Unavowed - IGF nominee!!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 08/08/2018 20:09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

OMG so many doors! Also this is so so beautiful. A loooot of details, a fantastic way to create the playable character at the start. And fantastic voice acting! I still haven't finished (I just need some more free time!!!!) Also I needed a game to gift my family members who got me into Blackwell and now I have a perfect one :]

Sawyer, how did you play on the phone?  Edit: Oh the directly from Wadjet Eye version!

KyriakosCH

You know, that cop's moves were something out of a Bruce Lee movie! :=

Very good work! I saw a let's play of the first chapter. I hope the game becomes very well known and loved. :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

sawyer

Thats every Wadjeteye on my phone works . Thanks Dave for making this powerhouse!!

sawyer

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 11/08/2018 23:13:58
OMG so many doors! Also this is so so beautiful. A loooot of details, a fantastic way to create the playable character at the start. And fantastic voice acting! I still haven't finished (I just need some more free time!!!!) Also I needed a game to gift my family members who got me into Blackwell and now I have a perfect one :]

Sawyer, how did you play on the phone?  Edit: Oh the directly from Wadjet Eye version!

Exagear Strategies finds it and runs Unavowed along with other ags games also...GOG version I got, I just delete not needed gog files within game and keep only necessary files to lighten the load. Everything runs great!! Without worring about linkscript fail...You would think ags android wouldnt be passes by ExaGear, but it works, Maybe now AGS.apk will eventually run these awesome games as well....:shocked:

paolo

Wow, amazing, amazing, amazing! Well done on releasing this! I'm putting this on my to-play list.

Andail

Congrats on the release! I shall check it out shortly.

Monsieur OUXX

The game is great. Seriously. But if there's ever a version 1.1, I'd recommend changing the facial expression of the two characters in the opening sequence (the one where you pick your character and the exorcist holds you at gun point with a staff). At the moment it looks like they're both smiling and having a good laugh. the game is supposed to be dark and start right in the action, but it totally ruins the tension for me. All I'm thinking is : "what are laughing at?"

Dave Gilbert

I went through the exchange and I see no version of anyone's smiling expression being used at any point, so I am not sure what you are referring to.

Stupot

Have you released the soundtrack yet? If not, you ought to use this as the album cover.

Mandle

Hahaha Stupot.... That's genius!

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 20/08/2018 00:49:54
I went through the exchange and I see no version of anyone's smiling expression being used at any point, so I am not sure what you are referring to.
Spoiler

This :

*giggle giggle*

[close]

Mandle

Looks more to me like they are gritting their teeth than smiling. I can see why Mandala might be seen as smiling though, but maybe she is, considering having just tracked down a demon?

Rincewind

Jeez, can't believe this is my first forum post in eight(!) years, hah. I've become so terribly tired of social media recently, and just got the urge to check in here again a couple of days ago. Made me realize how much I've missed the forums, so I might just stick around again. Anyway, </off-topic>. Unavowed looks truly amazing, Dave, been looking forward to it for ages! Gonna buy it on Steam and start playing as soon as my paycheck arrives on friday! :)

xandmatt

Amazing game. On my third play through now with the developer's commentary. It's quite a fascinating insight to hear how the game was developed; especially after hearing the commentaries for most of the other WadjetEye Games. It's a documented history of how Dave develops as a game developer (pun intended).

It's a brilliant technical achievement, and well worth waiting for. It expands on the Blackwell Universe (is there an actual name for it?) a lot and the characters are very well defined.

I also love:
Spoiler
the whole Chinatown breakout section; it's brilliantly conceived and the game's standout "set piece" for me. It was nice to have a section where you could interact with KayKay; who is just as much a member of the team as everyone else. She's tied with Vicki as my favourite character.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: xandmatt on Sun 26/08/2018 14:54:31
It expands on the Blackwell Universe (is there an actual name for it?)

I'm not sure, but I can think of an adjective:

Blackwellian.

Dave Gilbert

Zero Punctuation just reviewed Unavowed!

He liked it, insofar as he likes anything.

Tigrou

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 29/08/2018 19:31:58

Is there a transcript? I can't make out half of what this guy's saying.

Click'd

Quote from: Tigrou on Wed 29/08/2018 21:03:29
Is there a transcript? I can't make out half of what this guy's saying.
There is:
http://zeropunctuation.wikia.com/wiki/Unavowed

Mandle

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 29/08/2018 19:31:58

Hilarious review!

Wow, he even refers to whatever happened during his split with the AGS community, which was a bit before my time. I remember someone (possibly me) asking what happened once and there were only vague replies like "Trust me. You don't want to know." and "He got a bit too big for his britches."

Anyway, he mentions it so I'm guessing it still bugs him a bit as well. Maybe someone who knew him back then could reach out? I love the dude's games and it would be cool to see him around here now and then.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 30/08/2018 02:33:41
Wow, he even refers to whatever happened during his split with the AGS community, which was a bit before my time. I remember someone (possibly me) asking what happened once and there were only vague replies like "Trust me. You don't want to know." and "He got a bit too big for his britches."
As far as I can tell from the searching I did, he was simply egotistical and overly critical, and he eventually proclaimed he was too good for the forum and left. Apparently he still lurks around these forums as well. The best non-dead link I could find detailing it, is in the AGS Wiki: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Yahtzee
I also found this thread which shed a lot more light on the situation: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1682.msg18819#msg18819
With that all being said, it seems like everything has been forgiven and forgotten (within reason).

Back on topic though, Unavowed is an absolutely great game. I've not completed it yet, but it's every bit as good as I thought it was going to be. :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk