Any team members for a strategy game? (ancient or medieval era)

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 10/08/2018 17:19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Hi people, i would like to ask if anyone here would be interested in forming a team so as to create a strategy game :)
Either turn-based or real-time. Set in either the ancient or the medieval era (because i mostly create 3d models/renders of buildings in those eras := )

Some examples of my gfx (eg for CivIII, a turn-based strategy) :

Ancient era city sets:

Medieval era city sets:

RTS-styled building renders (a local Byzantine church)

Let me note that i am not able to be the team-leader here; i cannot script such a game. I am asking if enough people (with the needed skills :) ) are there, so that we might try to create something 8-)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

No one? := (laugh)

Strategy games seem hard to make... But i think the AGS engine could actually be good with them.

VampireWombat

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you're asking a lot for no real reason.
You haven't given anyone an actual reason to want to join. Even your last sentence of your first post ended on an underwhelming note. Might try to create something?

Do you have any original ideas for the game? What would you like to do that would make the game different from any other strategy game?
If you were the first person to propose making a strategy game, it might be different. Provide a stronger proposal and people might actually be interested.

Are you wanting to do something along the lines of Civilization, Warcraft, Dune 2, Mega-Lo-Mania?

For example: to get my interest it would have to be either science fiction or fantasy based. Or be a silly take on the genre.

I may sound negative, but I'm trying to be as helpful as I can be without saying I'd join in (because honestly, I wouldn't have the first clue where to start with the AI).

KyriakosCH

Hey! I just wanted to make it clear that i do not have the skills to actually either script for the game, or to provide largely in areas other than with graphics :D

You are right, it is too much to ask for, but there is no harm in asking if anyone would already have some interest in such an idea.

Re fantasy... hm, I guess i could make some gfx for a fantasy strategy game too; provided it isn't futuristic (laugh)

Re the type of game, if it is RTS it could be similar to WC2 and AOE, while if it is turn-based it could be like Civ2-Civ3, Imperialism1-2, and Koei's Genghis Khan series.
That said, i am not asking if we can make a commercial game; that would be hard. Just trying to establish if there is ANY interest at all, and people into this as an idea.

VampireWombat

Well, I thought it might be better if you had a specific idea in mind that might pique someone's interest.
But if you go with something along the lines of Warcraft 2/Mega-Lo-Mania or even some of the stages of Spore and have use of sprites or character portraits not made in Blender, I could help.

KyriakosCH

Actually Megalomania could be a nice idea. I loved that game for the Amiga...

Should be relatively easy to make something similar too.

I should stress again, though, that i cannot script it. I would love to be part of a team creating such a game, but cannot be the team leader...

VampireWombat

Well, this is what I could do. Very rough, done in like 15 minutes.
Using one of your buildings, character created in MakeHuman and modified in Gimp, and grass and trees quickly created by me.
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/FF0.png[/imgzoom]

KyriakosCH

:=

Hm, if you are interested, we could try a Megalomania clone (or similar; as a general idea). After all it had a very simple map, and the interface (while having quite a large number of parameters, often interlinking ones) wasn't that intricate either.
Also, i could easily make the map buildings ;)

VampireWombat

I'd be willing to give it a try at least. Of course without someone else's help with the scripting, the enemy AI would be very simplistic and building placement wouldn't be too advanced. But I could at least do a kind of proof of concept.

[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/b7i.gif[/imgzoom]

Yeah, if buildings are limited to certain "tiles" and the enemy AI was based on what resources and buildings the player has, I could do something playable at least.

KyriakosCH

I think we should see this, then :)

By the way, i can make some (basic, but i think it will be enough) units/unit animations, as well as minor (other) map tile animations. You don't have to make any actual graphics ^_^
(re units, i will only run into trouble if they are large; cause i never really was good at animating live stuff)

VampireWombat

Alright. Further talk should probably take place elsewhere to keep from going off topic.

LimpingFish

Glad to see you found someone to work with, but keep in mind that the recruitment board is ideally for projects that are ready to go into production (or at least have a solid foundation to work from), rather than a place for brainstorming possible ideas.

So...I'm going to lock this. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk