Game Pitch Competition - Round 5 (RESULTS!)

Started by Snarky, Sat 25/08/2018 12:36:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Which entry is your favorite?

1: The Grapes Are Always Sweeter
0 (0%)
2: Amandarin
1 (6.7%)
3: Young Crone
4 (26.7%)
4: What Could Have Been
2 (13.3%)
5: Dragonville
0 (0%)
6: Background Battle
1 (6.7%)
7: Inside These White Walls
2 (13.3%)
8: Naive
0 (0%)
9: The Antidote
2 (13.3%)
10: Meet Me in the Rings
1 (6.7%)
11: Verb Coins
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sun 09/09/2018 06:15:17

Mandle

Durinde

No right guess on my entry yet, and I don't know people's writing styles well enough yet to make a guess.

dactylopus

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Tue 11/09/2018 22:34:33
Inside These White Walls - Dactylopus
Nobody has guessed mine yet.  The above is actually the game that got my vote.

Spoiler

The Grapes Are Always Sweeter
- This is an interesting premise for a story.  I like the Italian setting.

Amandarin
- The idea of playing as an imaginary friend is very intriguing.  I would love to see how the hallucinations are depicted visually.  There is a lot of potential for a variety of stories.  It reminds me of Fran Bow, but hopefully a little less goth.  This nearly got my vote.

Young Crone
- I like the concept of a good witch that helps people, but this didn't really draw me in as it did others.  Congratulations on the win.

What Could Have Been
- As interesting as this could be, it does feel a bit slow paced and sad.

Dragonville
- I love the idea of a game based around dragons fighting back against human hunters, but the idea of them building a city together lost me.

Background Battle
- This has a lot of potential to be a great story, possibly a little bit of a thriller.  I imagine it somewhat like Technobabylon meets the Terminator, with less action.

Inside These White Walls
- This had my vote.  I love the mystery and intrigue surrounding the closed area of the ship.  The pitch is set up well, I like the last couple of sentences that pull me into the story.  To be successful, the mystery has to deliver.

Naive
- This sounds like a relationship-based game.  That can make for some different gameplay, but that wasn't enough to draw me in.

The Antidote
- I like this story.  The futuristic society sounds interesting, but the story could even work in a fantasy setting with a dying king.  The plot would have to keep me entertained.

Meet Me in the Rings
- This sounds like a fun, classic comedy Adventure Game.  It reminds me of Space Quest and Monolith Burger, and the characters sound quirky and exciting.  Hopefully the jokes would deliver.  This nearly had my vote.

Verb Coins
- I like the meta nature of a game and story built around the gameplay.  There are a lot of ways that this could be done well.
[close]
It was a lot of fun getting to enter this time!  I'm glad I took the opportunity to participate, and I am happy to see that people enjoyed my pitch.  I'd love to make my game, but it's a bit bigger than I could do alone.  Hopefully some of these ideas will be produced, because I'd love to play!

CaptainD

Quote from: Durinde on Wed 12/09/2018 02:19:42
No right guess on my entry yet, and I don't know people's writing styles well enough yet to make a guess.

Me also.  Guesses were: What could have been, Meet Me in the Rings and Naive, all wrong.

Snarky

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 11/09/2018 18:36:37
3: Young Crone - Snarky

Correct. :)
Thanks for the votes and feedback. I think this is the first round I've won.

This is a concept I like a lot myself, and I also worked pretty consciously on making the pitch as appealing as possible. I wasn't quite able to squeeze in a good teaser for the gossip-based gameplay, which I conceive of as the main puzzle mechanic, but oh well.

Also, there was no space to mention that the setting is inspired by the Italian Alps during the late renaissance, with the scientific revolution and religious reforms going on at the time as a backdrop.

If I ever got a team together it's something I'd quite like to make one day.

tzachs

Nicely done, the game sounds even better now, and I'd be interested in hearing more about the gossip-based mechanic.
You should totally do this game (after, of course, finishing up your long awaited OSD game).

Snarky

If anyone wants to try some more guessing, get it in now! I'll publish the full list tomorrow.

Snarky

OK, here's the list of the authors of each pitch:

The Grapes Are Always Sweeter â€" Mandle
Amandarin â€" Creamy
Young Crone â€" Snarky
What could have been â€" Bulbapuck
Dragonville â€" tzachs
Background Battle â€" CaptainD
Inside these white walls â€" Durinde
Naive â€" horusr
The Antidote â€" dactylopus
Meet Me in the Rings â€" Dream
Verb Coins â€" Stupot

Thanks for a good round, everybody!

CaptainD

Now that it's out in the open, I just want to clarify a point about Background Battle.

Basically the 2 different AI entities are part of an overarching control system that handles absolutely every piece of technology used by humans.  Because of their different algorithms these two AI entities arrive at completely different conclusions as to how best to serve the human race, creating a conflict that initially manifests itself as glitches in small devices.  I am unsure as to whether I want to allow 2 endings, with the player possibly able to support one or the other AI.

For those who may recognise this (yes LostTrainDude and Kastchey, I'm looking at you!), this was the basic proviso behind my plot synopsis for the full length version of A Landlord's Dream, which sadly I don't think will ever be made.  Still I think it's a pretty decent concept and decided to see if I could pitch it within the word limit confines of this competition.  Thanks to whoever it was that ensures it didn't get no votes at all! :-D  Hope no-one minds that this wasn't a completely new plot thought up specifically for the competition.

horusr

Oh, many people guessed me right! Probably because of poor usage of language but doesn't matter, it is good to see.

I think maybe I should tell more about it being set in a future where everyone is selfish? Idk, I was thinking about dystopian stories where trust is not a thing and you should be cautious all the time. I also would change the last sentence, it was a sudden decision and not well-thought.

I can't really criticize others, they are fun though.

Creamy

QuoteCreamy (did you confirm this, or is this a confusion tactic? :p )
Diversion 8-)

I didn't know Happy! Looks fun.

QuoteAlso, there was no space to mention that the setting is inspired by the Italian Alps during the late renaissance, with the scientific revolution and religious reforms going on at the time as a backdrop.
It seems like you already have a clear picture of the game. Your pitch got my vote.

cat

I missed voting, but my favourite was Inside these white walls.
I'd also love to play Meet Me in the Rings, if it were a Captain Disaster game ;)

TheFrighter

Quote from: cat on Sat 15/09/2018 20:14:39

I'd also love to play Meet Me in the Rings, if it were a Captain Disaster game ;)

Me too, so I voted it! Give it a go, Dream! ;)

_

Stupot

While, Snarky is away on Mittness, I've set up the next Competition.

Head over to Round 6. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56466.0

Dream

Quote from: TheFrighther on Sun 16/09/2018 08:52:56
Quote from: cat on Sat 15/09/2018 20:14:39

Me too, so I voted it! Give it a go, Dream! ;)

_
I'd love to! Still working on another project, though, so it'll be a while. Also, thanks for the vote :-D

And congrats Snarky, I love your pitch. I really do hope you make this game someday.

Snarky

Thanks! Maybe one day...

I'll  close this thread now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk