Turn based battle system I'm working on (Added a background)

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 25/08/2018 20:46:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

So, for the last 3 weeks I have spent every night working on a battle engine. I don't even have a game for this. I have built it as seperate component, a template kind of that I can use for any RPG's featuring turn based battles. All graphics can easily be replaced with whatever. I'm guessing that most people give up their rpg making dreams when they start working on the battle part. :D

Without an actual game the template can't exactly be 100% completed but the all the toughest parts have been taken care of! I will list all the features I've added because the video won't show you all of them.

A total number of 3 enemies can be randomized, each with their own unique stats so if you meet 3 goblins for example they have different HP,Str, Def. and so on. It doesn't differ that much but I thought it would be more fun this way.

P and E (player and enemies) can use a bunch of items and magics on each other

P and E can both use reflect spells and if both the enemy and the player would happen to have a reflect spell active, a ping pong effect will play until one of you wear out the reflect and take damage instead.

P and E can be immune to Fire,Ice,Earth,Water,Ice,Thunder and poison. Flying enemies have some resistance to wind.
Undead enemies will be hurt by healing magics/items and gain HP from poison

Enemies can cure themselves or each other from Blind,Silence and Poison.

Enemies with no magic skill can cast a health potion on their friends but they will not use it on undead foes

Enemies who casts a healing spell will give it to the one with the lowest HP

You can use items to make enemies become slow,blind, silenced and poisoned and there are also items to temporarily boost str. and def. and to speed up your battle gauge

P and E can steal items from each other and the enemies have seperate inventories

Enemies can escape from a battle if their HP is lower than 50% of their max HP. If they escape you will lose their exp and gold when the fight is over.

I think I have the most important things done for the template. If you have any suggestions for other features I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, here's a short clip to see it in action :D

https://player.vimeo.com/video/286606422
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

VampireWombat

Looks good. Can't think of anything to add without being for a specific game.

Mouth for war

Thanks! :) Yeah I was thinking that too. You can't possibly decide all the items for a game in a template so that's why it can't be totally completed. I tried to cover all basic stuff that most rpg's usually have. For now, player always hits enemies with magic attacks...so maybe a magic hit rate could be added. For the video I set his weapon hit rate to 100. Don't want to show a bunch of "Miss" :D

Edit: Fixed a dice roll/magic hit rate for the player. It's too easy if you always succeed with your magic attacks

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

Thanks a lot! :D It's been pure joy...ehhhmm no let me rephrase that. It's been a god damn nightmare putting all of this together haha :D but I'm so glad I just kept my focus all the way through. I'm almost done with it and I will never have to build something like this again (I doubt I'd do it again even for money)

Mandle

Mouth for war

Retro Wolf

Kastchey

Wow. This is awesome. If this is indeed AGS, then you should totally make a small game using this engine and grab your free best coding award in the 2018 ceremony ;)

From the top of my head:
* Is there an option to give poison/blind/silence resistance or immunity to enemies? Or just the elemental resistance?
* Are there area attacks as well, or just single target? (I'd assume higher spell tiers are area attacks - that dragon summon sure looked as if it would have obliterated them all :))
* Is 'defend' a random action by enemies, or are there any conditions when they do it?
* Is there any mechanics for player equipment yet that would influence the player stats?
* Do the enemies have the same magic/skill pool as the player characters do, or is it possible to have different sets?
* If they use a shared pool, can you attribute specific skills/spells to specific enemies, or is being able or unable to cast magic the only way to affect their ability pool?
* Have you considered any mechanics to build up resources/energy before a stronger ability becomes usable?

Mouth for war

Thank's a lot Retro wolf and Kastchey and to answer your questions. No it's not AGS unfortunately XD

1. Undead enemies have poison immunity, I haven't added blind or silence immunity yet...that would not be hard though
Battle initiation decides if an enemy is immune to something. I guess special enemies/bosses will have that benefit mostly. Normal enemies can be more resistant to magic. A fire enemy will be weak against water etc.
2. For now there's just the level 3 magics that affects all enemies. I guess more "Hit 'em all" items could be added when there's an actual game in the works but for the template I didn't bother with it
3. Defend is just a random action. I guess it's not so useful yet except for the player to avoid getting hit. I was thinking that if you have limit breaks like in FF7 you could fill that gauge a little faster if you defend for a turn. I haven't decided yet :D
4. Yes, kind of. I have prepared magic resistance items for the player, "Equip water ring to gain 10% defense to water attacks" and so on. There will be more of that stuff in an actual game. For the template, extra str/def. items are already included in the damage calculation if you have something equipped.
5. Each enemy have their own magics/inventory so 3 bandits can still have different loot and magic attacks. I thought it would be a lot funnier than "Aha bandits, they only do this and gives me that"
6. I have considered that of course but I haven't decided anything yet. Luckily that's a feature that can be added whenever I come up with something

Retro Wolf

Out of all the RPGs I've ever played, I don't recall ever wanting to use the "defend" action. If the character is in trouble I'd more than likely use a healing item, if not I'd rather be causing damage. Having it as an automatic thing is probably for the best.

What engine are you using?

Mouth for war

Yeah I must come up with something that makes it worth defending. I just added so that enemies also can be immune to blind and silence. Just to be done with it :D I'm using Fusion 2.5 by Clickteam (Klik n play, the games factory) Visual programming software is usually frowned upon I know hehe but I just love it. It's actually a powerhouse when you learn your way around it

Retro Wolf

Even AGS would be frowned upon by some, if it works for you and enables your hobby that's all good in my book.

Mouth for war

Yeah I totally agree! It's not important how you reach your goal. All programs have their pros and cons and Fusion is no different there. A lot of stuff can piss me off about it haha but usually I like working with it. I can't say it was easy to do this just because it's visual programming. It's been hard work. I'm glad I could finally keep my focus and not give up. I think the lesson I've learned is to always start with the hardest part first. Now I can focus on the fun, building the world and stuff. Maybe I can finally finish a game again :D

Kastchey

Agree, what matters is the outcome not the engine.

As for defend action, I do recall one game in which it is a viable action and this is because on harder fights the damage is sometimes so high it would kill a part of the team even if they were at full HP, unless they defend or use some other damage reduction mechanics.

VampireWombat

Huh, I thought I commented about defend, but guess I didn't actually type it...
Knights of Pen and Paper 2 uses defend along with other abilities, which makes it more useful.

Mouth for war

Ah ok! Hmm..maybe a defend action could give you a chance to counter attack as well as taking less damage?

Retro Wolf

Mouth for war

Hmm yeah that's also an idea. I had forgotten to add the reflection routine for level 3 magics and also the "if weak/strong" against level 3 magics. Got that fixed too so now I think I can consider the template COMPLETE!!!!! ARGH...it feels sooo good to have a complete battle engine !!!! :D

Mouth for war

So after doing that battle system I thought to myself "Oh hell yeah, now I can focus on the fun part" and what happens? A complete mental lockdown. I've been tryig a crapload of different things but I think I finaly got it right. How do you like this? Oh and don't mind the shadow from that tree. I removed another tree and the shadow was for that one.

Kastchey

The background is for the town part rather than the actual battle sequence right?

Mouth for war

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk