MAGS SEPTEMBER "Mermaids and Sirens" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/09/2018 02:47:19

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS September?

Jason and the Golden Apple by Slasher
4 (44.4%)
Here Be No Sirens by Kastchey
4 (44.4%)
Sweet Mythery by Vampire Wombat
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Wed 17/10/2018 04:36:57

Stupot

Voting is over and we have a tie!
Congrats to Kastchey and Slasher. You'll be contacted soon about choosing a topic for November.
Commiserations VampireWombat.
Thanks to all entrants and voters.

Jason and the Golden Apple by Slasher

Here Be No Sirens by Kastchey

Sweet Mythery by Vampire Wombat

Topic: Mermaids and Sirens
Chosen by Kastchey

A mermaid is a half-human, half-fish. A male version of this creature is called a merman, but its appearance in tales and popular culture is significantly less common. The mermaid steals the spotlight!
A siren is a human-bird hybrid, most commonly depicted as a large bird with a head of a human female. They would lure the sailors to their dwellings with their singing and crash their ships for the rare delicacy that is mariner meat!

Since these two entirely different mythological creatures are often confused with each other, why not use both for a MAGS theme?

For this month's competition, your challenge is to create a game featuring a mermaid, a merman or a siren.
It can, but does not have to feature the actual living creature. It can be a person disguised as one, it can be a painting, it can even be a homonym (e.g., siren as a warning sound device is also acceptable).

Some ideas to get you started:

1. A merman boy sets out to find his dolphin friend who has gone missing, and rumor has it that there are sharks around! Well only one shark who is old, half blind and missing most of his teeth but to a small merman boy he sure looks scary.

2. A crackpot journalist needs to get footage of a real mermaid to pay the bills, but they just wouldn't show up. Out of better options, she decides to fabricate one.

3. A mermaid gets entangled in a fisherman's net. She needs to free herself and get her tail out of there before anyone spots her.

4. A prankster or an activist wants to hijack the emergency siren system to play a custom sound.

5. A brave adventurer has been tasked with obtaining the priceless plume of a siren.

There is no restriction on the use of pre-made assets.
Don't know where to find free assets? Try AGS Trove!

Ending: September 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

[/quote]

KyriakosCH

I like sirens.
Mermaids/Mermen are somewhat... not interesting imo :=

One could make a good horror game using sirens, though; even in the Odyssey they are the stuff of nightmares.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

VampireWombat

I personally prefer psirens.
But my mind has wandered to Bruce Campbell saying "You've got harpies." instead. Which then makes me think of space herpes from Ice Pirates...

Now I really wish I actually played more than a few minutes of a King's Quest game.

Kastchey

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 01/09/2018 11:24:56
I like sirens.
Which is totally fine (and so are psirens, VW ;)).

I aimed to choose a theme that would easily fit any type of setting, from a kiddie game to a dark horror. Hope to see your flesh-eating, murderous, merciless sirens in action this month, Kyriakos!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 01/09/2018 12:53:34

Well, psirens could work in the right game, yes.
But the sirens/siren... thing... from Ducktales would be more fitting given the ideas I've come up with the last hour. Though I have a feeling I will end up with something closer to the herpes harpies from Hercules.

Slasher

"Block up your ears, men!"    "Block up your ears!" (laugh)

I feel a seafaring journey overseas as ideas are brewing...(nod)

VampireWombat

Perhaps my game will then have fee searing or see fearing.
Okay, okay. I promise, I won't have Xanth level of puns.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Kastchey on Sat 01/09/2018 12:53:34
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sat 01/09/2018 11:24:56
I like sirens.

I aimed to choose a theme that would easily fit any type of setting, from a kiddie game to a dark horror. Hope to see your flesh-eating, murderous, merciless sirens in action this month, Kyriakos!

8-) 8-) 8-)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

Sorry, guys I am going the route of Jason (Argo)/Sinbad...hybrid........

First scene being developed....

VampireWombat

Why sorry? That's a perfectly reasonable route to go.

I'm going to be trying to do a game that's kind of The Secret of Monkey Island in a fantasy setting instead of with pirates. But the character is probably going to be a little younger and be influenced by main characters of The Sword in the Stone, The Black Cauldron, and maybe a little bit of Star Wars.

Slasher

VampireWombat

I always wanted to see an adventure game starring Jason Priestley.

I have no name for my game. Or the main character. But I am considering having chapters and naming one something like "You've got harpies." Thanks to some friends elsewhere, I do have 3 creatures to put in the game. Which brings the count up to 6.

Slasher

Mandle

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 05/09/2018 01:28:20
Or Jason Voorhees?
Wouldn't that be taking Slasher's name too literally?

Slasher

Video in production:

Slasher

The Island of Hesus almost complete...

Game progress: 10%

VampireWombat

Nice.

I have nothing complete. But I have 1/3 or so of the scripting for character selection complete. And I am working on an item creation gui. Sure, I could just use the normal inventory, but I want to have recipes.

And the current name is... Sweet Mythery. I'm sorry.

Slasher

QuoteVampireWombat:  Sweet Mythery
And why not indeed... At least you have an idea brewing...

Any other show of hands?

Mag's needs you (nod)

So far my game entry is around 60% complete.. Still tons more to do...

VampireWombat

Hmm, brewing is a good idea. I wonder what useful things could be brewed. But yes, I do have an item crafting system in place, one background mostly finished, and ideas for finishing each quest 3 or 4 different ways. I'm taking shortcuts this time and using the open pixel project as a base. But I've modified all of the character sprites I'm using and created quite a few additional items.
But direct work on the game is going to be halted so I can work on a game for the 2nd annual thing on Itch.io. But since I'm going to also use the open pixel project for that I'll at least make some npc heads and some items I can use for both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk