CYBORG SEPPUKU

Started by The Outer Zone, Sat 01/09/2018 13:07:53

Previous topic - Next topic

The Outer Zone

TALES FROM THE OUTER ZONE:
CYBORG SEPPUKU

A cyberpunk tale of marriage and selfdestruction.

You're a cyborg and your wife has left you. To find her you must leave "The Structure" - a dystopian city in which you are imprisoned.
The only way of escaping The Structure is to rid yourself of your implants and become a plain-skin.

Created by Malte Burup @outerzonetweets

GET IT HERE:
CYBORG SEPPUKU

The game was made for MAGS August 2018.
It has been great working on my first AGS game!
Feedback is more than welcome. I will probably make a version 2.0.

Enjoy :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Kastchey

Yay! It looks so awesome in full colour. Looking forward to replay it in the newest version.

Click'd

Mandle

Are you Moebius in real life?!

LostTrainDude

This looks so good.
Will give it a spin ASAP :)

Congrats on the release!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Mandle

Here's my feedback on the game from the MAGS thread:

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Spoiler
Well, what can I say? It's beyond amazing! From the Moebius-style graphics, the social commentary subtext of unplugging from our devices, to the actual fun puzzles and characters, this game just had me drooling for more, even though I suspected that I wouldn't get to see The Outer Zone. But I really wanted to! Silverspook, have you played this yet? You would LOVE it!!! Gonna be a hard contender to beat for the other games!

A bit of pixel-hunting is totally forgivable as the backgrounds are just so rich in detail that the player naturally wants to explore every nook and cranny anyway.

One thing I might suggest though is to remove the "self-censorship" comment in the game. I think most players will get this without having it pointed out to them to so bluntly. Also, perhaps the C.Jones comment about the coffee cup. I think this game is great enough to deserve no in-jokes/tributes.

Also: one of the coolest game titles of all time which the game lives up to! Sometimes bad games have really cool titles as clickbait. This ain't one of those!
[close]

Seriously though, SilverSpook, you will love this!

The Outer Zone

Thanks a bunch everyone ;-D

Yeah, the Moebius style appeared on the day of drawing the backgrounds. Was initially going for a more realistic (Technobabylon) style.
But then I looked at the Bilal drawings for the comic "Exterminator 17".
I hope to make more Tales From The Outer Zone, but I might change the style for each game. I haven't decided yet, though.

kconan

This looks awesome, nice job!  What a unique color palette.

selmiak

Having fun already, will write more once I find
Spoiler
the appropriate tool to unscrew the goggles. where is it? not in the trash. hints?
[close]

Kastchey

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 03/09/2018 19:55:13
Having fun already, will write more once I find
Spoiler
the appropriate tool to unscrew the goggles. where is it? not in the trash. hints?
[close]
Spoiler
Don't be a good citizen. Be a bad citizen. Then when you really get into trouble, become a good citizen again by turning yourself in.
(Let me know if this doesn't help much ;))
[close]

selmiak

@Kastchey
Spoiler
Indeed it didn't help at all :-D
[close]

Kastchey

Haha fair enough :-D
Spoiler
Get a total of three penalty points by vandalizing various objects - pipes and rear mirror I believe (you already have one for swearing). Then go back to the elevator.
[close]

selmiak

KyriakosCH

Nice game & very cool/atmospheric music theme :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SilverSpook

Cool original free cyberpunk games ftw! I gave you a shoutout on today's Silver Spook live stream. :)

The Outer Zone

@kconan: Thank you! I went for "bright cyberpunk" color palette - which is also very moebius/bilal.
@Kastchey: Thanks for being my hints and tips hotline when I'm not around :D
@Salmiak: Awesome! Already saw it - didn't know it was you :) Thank you!
@KyriakosCH: Thank you - can you guess what Vangelis piece inspired me? I only had a day for all music and SFX, so I went with a "steal" for the main theme.
@SilverSpook: I know! I saw it, just as I tuned in to watch you talk about your game, you were talking about mine :D Thanks a lot!

There has been a lot of great response to my game. From the AGS forums, point-and-click kings on twitter and from critics. PC Gamer picked it for one of their free games of the week Could not have wished for more :) Thank you!

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SilverSpook

Congrats on the PC Gamer spot, man! Well deserved, from one unusual artstyle cyberpunk creator to another. :)

The Outer Zone

Thanks SilverSpook - yeah I also thought of Neofeud when I read the thing about the bright and unusual artstyle :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk