Moving to another city... (a bit nervous)

Started by KyriakosCH, Sun 02/09/2018 09:22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

In a month from now I will be moving to Athens. I am a bit worried about the move, which I suppose is normal. The reason for it is that there will be more job opportunities there & I recently signed two translating contracts with a publisher there anyway.

Still, Athens was never a city I liked. The center is nice (with the ancient parts), but overall it has problems. Not that the 1 million people city I now live in is that great, though.

Anyway, anyone here who has moved to a different city for years? I am not sure how it will go, but some positive prospects do exist. :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Well, I moved to a different country and have been here over half my life now.

Mind you, I was 23 years old at the time so it was more exciting than worrying. It was quite the adjustment though, to the point where I don't feel much like I really belong anymore when I go back home to Australia.

The same will probably happen with you to a point if you stay in Athens for a length of time.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/09/2018 10:46:35
Well, I moved to a different country and have been here over half my life now.

Mind you, I was 23 years old at the time so it was more exciting than worrying. It was quite the adjustment though, to the point where I don't feel much like I really belong anymore when I go back home to Australia.

The same will probably happen with you to a point if you stay in Athens for a length of time.

I suppose so. Well, i did spend three years in London (UK), for Uni studies. I was 18 when i got there.

It will be a change, certainly. I hope it goes well :)

Mandle

A writer needs to move around. New environments and experiences promote inspiration.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/09/2018 10:57:01
A writer needs to move around. New environments and experiences promote inspiration.

I agree. Though I am not really the wandering type :)

Cassiebsg

I've also moved to a different country and have been here for the past 14 years. 8-0
Don't worry too much. Embrace the change and remember that if you don't like it, you can always either move back or move to a new place. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Sun 02/09/2018 11:03:39
Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/09/2018 10:57:01

I agree. Though I am not really the wandering type :)

Well, you kind of are... Given the topic of this thread... :-D

Radiant

Yes, I have (a couple times). In my experience the most important part is quickly meeting people in the new city; websites like meetup.com are usually active in big cities and can make it pretty easy to attend social events with other people (several of which are also mostly new to the city).

KyriakosCH

I already know people there; i wouldn't be going on a spur of the moment thing (nod)

Ponch

This summer I moved across the country to a new city. It was very exciting. While still in America, this green, humid place has a very different feel from the dusty deserts of west Texas. Learning new slang and trying new food has been a lot of fun. I hope your move offers you new adventures too. Keep a positive frame of mind and make the most of it. :cheesy:

KyriakosCH

Thank you both :)

I hope it goes well.

I am sort of bored of staying in this city anyway. Time for a change.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I've transferred around a fair bit.
You get pretty hung up on the idea of moving, but it's not really as big of deal as we make it out to be. It's just another adventure. make sure you stay social though, loneliness is the only tough part, seeing new things and meeting new people is great!

KyriakosCH

Slasher

"Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home."

good luck ;)

Mandle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk