The Big List Of Paint Programs!

Started by cpage, Wed 23/04/2003 01:57:59

Previous topic - Next topic

cpage

Okay by request here is a list for everyone.

The point of this list is you people must tell me about more programs. that way it will get bigger

Note: most of these were taken from the tutorials thread.
Legend: ($)= Costs money.  (F)= Freeware   (S)= Shareware     (*/5)= My Personal Rating

($ 5/5) Paint Shop Pro : One of the more popular programs here. Very powerful and relatively easy to get use to if you give it a chance.
Note: PSP8 is now beta testing get a copy now

($ 5/5) Photoshop : Same as above

($S 2/5) : Game Artist Studio : Program for designing sprites.
Might be good with a little more experience but nothing too special

(F 4/5) PhotoPlus 5 : A very good Find its like PSP or PS but free!

(F 4/5) GIMP : Seemingly powerful tools. But I havent used it.

(F 2/5) Image Forge : Like it or hate it its still free.

(F 4/5) Reptile 2 : Good for what its for. Used to make seemless tiles.

(F 4/5) Ulitmate Paint : I used to use this one. Its as easy as paint but alot better.

(f? 4/5) Pixia : Lots of people use this one. When done right can make some really nice pictures!

(F 3/5) Project Dogwaffle : alot like pixia only good if you know what you are doing.

Links by Yakspit
Quote from: YakSpit on Thu 24/04/2003 05:42:48

CorelDraw - Vector-capable program similar to the basic options of PSP.  A handy program that costs a tad less than PS.  

Ulead PhotoImpact - The one I use.  Mainly aimed toward web-graphic development.  Can use both image objects and path objects (Bitmap and vector, basically).  Many options resemble paint shop pro.  I'd probably use PhotoShop instead but I've been using this one for years.  Price is comparable to Coreldraw, I believe.

One thing we ought to mention is that if you like PhotoShop or just would prefer it to Paint Shop Pro but you dislike the cost, there's also Adobe Elements which is more-or-less a scaled down version of Photoshop that probably has all options you'll need at a far more reasonable price.

Links by Miez
Quote from: miez on Tue 06/05/2003 16:06:38
For all you sprite artists out there: take a look at this German program:

ProMotion ( http://cosmigo.com/promotion/ )

It is a lot like the old Amiga DPaint4, and has some very cool onionskin and anti-aliasing functions.
It costs money though: $47,- for the CD version, $19,95 for a lite version with less functionality. They have a trial version for download as well.

Links by Scummyb
Quote from: Scummyb-Live From Florida on Tue 06/05/2003 19:32:05
For all you Flash people out there... www.toonboom.com

Links from OTG
Quote from: OneThinkingGal and ._. on Tue 06/05/2003 22:53:32
Ultimate Paint  - Good for pixelly stuff too, altho pro-motion is spiffier. Features a trial.

NeoPaint - Similar, 30 day trial

Links from Eggie
Quote from: Eggie on Mon 26/05/2003 20:17:03
Deluxe Paint- It's on a few abandonware sites. Used to draw MI1/2 if you didn't know...

Grafx2-Kind of like Dpaint but...incomplete. I like it alot.

Flash- I just love the sort of pictures this produces, it may not be too good for bitmap based sprites but if you want a cutscene picture or a hi-res background with a cartoony feel I reccommend it.

Pencil and Paper- Shitty, obselete program that no-one uses anymore.  :P

Links by Increator
Quote from: InCreator on Wed 18/06/2003 22:50:04
Anyone using "ArtGem!"? It's a simple, 2MB drawing program, extremely easy to use, yet almost as powerful as Photoshop!  ;D It just doesn't have all of those filters. I do all my painting with that.

It is 30-day trial shareware (but nothing is disabled until trial ends (in versions 1.2 and lower)) and well --
As piracy is not the thing to talk about, only hint I can tell you that 30 days are set by Windows' calendar/clock, during installation and first run.   ;)

Avaible everywhere in internet, I got it from www.tucows.com .

PLEASE READ:  SEE A PROBLEM WITH THE LIST? or if you want to add something (new program or better description) please IM me and I will make corrections I dont want to see a whole lot of replays saying that I rated something wrong.  :P

Did some pruning, m0ds.

TheYak

Well..   there's no MS-Paint.   ::)

I'll add my two cents:

CorelDraw - Vector-capable program similar to the basic options of PSP.  A handy program that costs a tad less than PS.  

Ulead PhotoImpact - The one I use.  Mainly aimed toward web-graphic development.  Can use both image objects and path objects (Bitmap and vector, basically).  Many options resemble paint shop pro.  I'd probably use PhotoShop instead but I've been using this one for years.  Price is comparable to Coreldraw, I believe.

One thing we ought to mention is that if you like PhotoShop or just would prefer it to Paint Shop Pro but you dislike the cost, there's also Adobe Elements which is more-or-less a scaled down version of Photoshop that probably has all options you'll need at a far more reasonable price.

(Edit: Done, '·_·', with the exception of Photoimpact, I kinda figured it was obvious.)

Miez

For all you sprite artists out there: take a look at this German program:

ProMotion ( http://cosmigo.com/promotion/ )

It is a lot like the old Amiga DPaint4, and has some very cool onionskin and anti-aliasing functions.
It costs money though: $47,- for the CD version, $19,95 for a lite version with less functionality. They have a trial version for download as well.

Scummbuddy

If miez is using it, I'm sure its insanely good.

For all you Flash people out there... www.toonboom.com

:P  Sorry for not posting a link.  Here's a great one.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

OneThinkingGal and ._.

That was a completely content free post scummyB. Can we stick to posting program links?

Ultimate Paint  - Good for pixelly stuff too, altho pro-motion is spiffier. Features a trial.

NeoPaint - Similar, 30 day trial

CJL

And let's not forget Painter (now Corel, formerly Metacreations, formerly Fractal Design). Terrible  if you want to manipulate your images in a pixel-perfect manner, or if you need non-antialiased pictures (for example if you want to remove te background-colour using the top-left pixel...or while importing masks). Perfect product however if you want to use natural-media for your backgrounds (and if you have a tablet...naturally). Great to use as an extension with an other product (or an other product as an extension for Painter).

Let?s see...more information? - It costs money. A thirty-day-trial can be downloaded. The latest version is 8...I use 5.5 (for which I had to pay about $15 (?15,-- / ? 30,--)...When it comes to natural media that version is still better than any of the competition. So look around. You might be able to find it somewhere). And on request the link:COREL

And an addition to CorelDraw (9)...useful only to Dutch people (sorry for all you other guys). If you?re Dutch, and you still go to school or work for an educational organization...be sure to check http://www.schoolbox.nl/html/corel_schoolbox.html. You can get a bundle of Corel programs for only ?20...and it pays of.

Eggie

Deluxe Paint- It's on a few abandonware sites. Used to draw MI1/2 if you didn't know...

Grafx2-Kind of like Dpaint but...incomplete. I like it alot.

Flash- I just love the sort of pictures this produces, it may not be too good for bitmap based sprites but if you want a cutscene picture or a hi-res background with a cartoony feel I reccommend it.

Paint Shop Pro- Well, I've never used Photoshop but I'm told that this is a less sophisticated version of it.

Pencil and Paper- Shitty, obselete program that no-one uses anymore.  :P

CJL

:o Oops...I saw something went wrong with the Eurosign...So here's a minor correction:
(E=Euros, Fl=Guilders)
"(for which I had to pay about $15 (?15,-- / ? 30,--)" should be: (E 15,--/Fl 30,--)
"You can get a bundle of Corel programs for only ?20...and it pays of." should be: E 20,--

Sorry :-[

CJL

InCreator

Anyone using "ArtGem!"? It's a simple, 2MB drawing program, extremely easy to use, yet almost as powerful as Photoshop!  ;D It just doesn't have all of those filters. I do all my painting with that.

It is 30-day trial shareware (but nothing is disabled until trial ends (in versions 1.2 and lower)) and well --
As piracy is not the thing to talk about, only hint I can tell you that 30 days are set by Windows' calendar/clock, during installation and first run.   ;)

Avaible everywhere in internet, I got it from www.tucows.com .

petaglair

don't forget Mario paint°

i started on this one

now i use corel photopaint
Avec Nutricrotte° je voie là  differanse j'est même developper du mucsle

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Can we stick to links with posts and not just comments on the programs? The thread will get too long.

If you're posting a program, post a link to a download, or its just wasting people's time and they're going to ask 'OH WHERE CAN I GET THAT!?!'

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Svetac

Graphics Gale - Everything that you need for pixel art. I found it two days ago, some guy on the pixelization boards recommended it, and I fell in love with it. Ultra cool, ultra easy. Complete with animation tools. Check it out, and make your life easier.

http://www.tempest-j.com/gale/e/

Denzil Quixode

Quote from: Eggie on Mon 26/05/2003 20:17:03
Isn't that where "guy.brush" came from? ;)

I use GIMP at the moment. I recommend it but it does take a while to get to grips with.

Inkoddi

Corel Painter!!!! The one i use is Corel Painter Classic which is pretty much the same...
...with less features. Painter Classic comes with all Wacom tablets.

Jodo Kast

For all you photographers out there who want to make their own game graphics,
get Virtual Painter!  http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/

If you have to - have to - do your own painting on the computer (oils are expensive), please use the right program like,

Zbrush!  http://www.zbrush.com/            Seeing is believing

Atlas

Scuzling

the link to photoplus 5 is dead
Scuzling Productions

"We are working on something big"

ThunderStorm

The official home of PhotoPlus is www.freeserifsoftware.com. They've got more free programs on their page. The registration procress is a real pain, but the programs are quite good.

Professor Duck

Quote from: Svetac on Fri 25/07/2003 01:27:28
Graphics Gale - Everything that you need for pixel art...

http://www.tempest-j.com/gale/e/

Hear, hear! Graphics Gale is really good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk