AGS 3.4.1 - Patch 4

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 10/09/2018 22:15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

No matter what i press it doesn't generate it. How can i check what the previous one is, do i check acwin.exe?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

So the version I have been using is 3.4.1.15
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 08/01/2019 18:05:21
How can i check what the previous one is, do i check acwin.exe?

Either in About box of the editor, or run the previously compiled game (or run acwin.exe in the game's directory) and press Ctrl+Alt+V.

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 08/01/2019 18:12:12
So the version I have been using is 3.4.1.15

But that version has 30 fonts limit... I am confused.

And you've said
QuoteI'm using AGS Editor .NET (Build 3.4.2.1) ** BETA VERSION **
v3.4.2, February 2018
in your first post.

EDIT: Oh, wait, can it be that you are using some custom package I built for you with fonts limit removed?

Dualnames

Yes, you sent me a custom acwin, i don't remember when exactly, so the editor in game (when i clicked about) says the 3.4.2.1 but then I remembered, so, apologies for the miscommunication!

Dualnames

Alright this one works perfect. So, how do i get you a log, or a dmp? It doesn't seem to generate anything when it crashes.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 08/01/2019 18:30:19
Alright this one works perfect. So, how do i get you a log, or a dmp? It doesn't seem to generate anything when it crashes.

Not sure what is going on. Could you tell how do you run it, are you compiling game with the new engine or just run it in the game's folder?

Dualnames

I'm opening the game project through the editor that has the acwin.exe replaced with the one u just sent me, I click on play, I load a savegame and do a set of moves and get the crash. I'm gonna try a rebuild/build the game see if that will give me a crash file.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 08/01/2019 18:35:44
I'm opening the game project through the editor that has the acwin.exe replaced with the one u just sent me, I click on play, I load a savegame and do a set of moves and get the crash. I'm gonna try a rebuild/build the game see if that will give me a crash file.

Better place acwin.exe in the fully compiled game and run it instead of actual game.exe. This way I won't even have to download game exe to read the dump.
(hopefully dump will be produce this way...)

Oh, btw, I think it was produced earlier too, it is probably placed in the root project folder?

Crimson Wizard

Oh, one important thing that I forgot to ask about, could you also post the actual crash message? Sometimes it contains useful numbers.

Dualnames

None of the two ways produces any log/dmp file anywhere (root project folder, editor folder, debug)

Dualnames

That's all i get https://imgur.com/a/JBZrKIO

Edit: I can get you a same one with the 3.4.2.2 version

Dualnames

If it's gonna help I can start uploading the whole game project for you

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 08/01/2019 18:52:25
If it's gonna help I can start uploading the whole game project for you

Okay, I guess if nothing else works...
I don't know, maybe Windows just stops program execution at that point and prevents it from writing a dump on its own?

Maybe the acwin.exe is considered "dangerous" because you downloaded it? In such case it could be unblocked from file properties... but that's just a random idea.

Dualnames

Crimson Wizard

TBH the usual cause of crashes with dynamic sprites is simply when you delete dynamic sprite (or it got deleted by last reference destroyed) and forgot to remove its index from a view frame or a GUI.

Dualnames

But that is not the case here, I'm trying to create one and i'm unable to. I'll send you files and instructions so u can replicate and see im being dumb or this is actually an issue.

Crimson Wizard

So, I was able to reproduce this, and it does not look very good. It occurs in release build of the engine but not in debug one, and when in release build it fails in clib function realloc, which in summary means there's some memory corruption.

Then I tried running same scene with the latest 3.5.0.5 engine it did not crash.
I made following engine version based on 3.5.0.5 and added back support for the 3.4.2 saved games:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gvp111n20j9s7u/acwin--3.5.0.5--svg9restored.zip?dl=0

Could you try that with your game and tell if it stops crashing for you or not. If it does, then this means I somehow fixed the problem along the way. I may then trace back the changes in git history to find what could be a problem exactly.

If it still crashing, then I'll be investigating further.

EDIT: Well, I found a commit that fixes this crash apparently, it was where I replaced inner workings of spritecache from C-arrays to C++ std::vectors.
This is not very clear whether it was simply that replaced old code contained some mistakes which are now gone, or new implementation is more resistant to these mistakes...

Dualnames

proximity

Hello. I've just tried SnowRain plugin with AGS 3.4.1. The resolution is 1920*1080, 32-bit color and game speed is 60. I had 35 FPS with OpenGL, 47 FPS with Direct3D and 60 FPS with software renderer. How is that possible? Software renderer is better than Direct3D? My graphics card is Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4GB.
Proximity Entertainment

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk