Winzip or 7Zip

Started by Slasher, Thu 20/09/2018 15:26:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

I've downloaded 7zip and it seems to work well enough.. so far..

Ponch

LBR is the one true compression format :=

Danvzare

I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size. It was also all self-contained. You would double click on a .bat file I think, which would then start the self-extraction process.
I could probably find the name of it if I looked for it. Not that I'm recommending it. It's just that I'm still impressed by how compressed it could get things.
And Ponch's comment reminded me of it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 01/10/2018 13:12:40
I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size.

Compression rate also largely depends on the file contents. Files with lots of repeating data patterns are compressed most.
For example, for internal reasons AGS savegames contain a big chunk of data per room which is often unused and remains in default state. As number of visited rooms grow saves become really large but very small when compressed. I recall compressing 2+ GB of "The Cat Lady" saves into something like 10 MB regular zip archive.

Danvzare

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 01/10/2018 13:24:11
Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 01/10/2018 13:12:40
I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size.

Compression rate also largely depends on the file contents. Files with lots of repeating data patterns are compressed most.
For example, for internal reasons AGS savegames contain a big chunk of data per room which is often unused and remains in default state. As number of visited rooms grow saves become really large but very small when compressed. I recall compressing 2+ GB of "The Cat Lady" saves into something like 10 MB regular zip archive.
Alright, I want you to imagine for a moment you see two downloads for a game. One is 2gb, the other is 800mb. The 2gb download is in a WinRar, that when uncompressed is probably just over 3.5gb. The 800mb one has a bunch of other files including a .bat file. Naturally you think the 800mb one is fake. But it isn't. It's the full 3.5gb game, compressed with an incredible compression program that claims it's still in its alpha stage.
THAT is what I'm talking about. (nod)

A quick look has found me something called "Maximum Compression", I'm not sure if that's the program I'm thinking about. But it looks like it could be. I'd honestly have to download it and try it out to be sure.

Gurok

That sounds like NanoZip or PAQ8
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Adeel

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 01/10/2018 13:57:04
Alright, I want you to imagine for a moment you see two downloads for a game. One is 2gb, the other is 800mb. The 2gb download is in a WinRar, that when uncompressed is probably just over 3.5gb. The 800mb one has a bunch of other files including a .bat file. Naturally you think the 800mb one is fake. But it isn't. It's the full 3.5gb game, compressed with an incredible compression program that claims it's still in its alpha stage.
THAT is what I'm talking about. (nod)

A quick look has found me something called "Maximum Compression", I'm not sure if that's the program I'm thinking about. But it looks like it could be. I'd honestly have to download it and try it out to be sure.

You're talking about UHARC. :)

E: I should mention that the program itself isn't 'self-contained', as you're recalling. Those were actually self-extracting archives created using UHARC.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk