Author Topic: Winzip or 7Zip  (Read 1537 times)

Slasher

• slasher
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Slasher worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Winzip or 7Zip
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2018, 08:31 »
I've downloaded 7zip and it seems to work well enough.. so far..

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • I'm back, baby!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • Ponch worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #21 on: 29 Sep 2018, 21:58 »
LBR is the one true compression format :=

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2018, 13:12 »
I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size. It was also all self-contained. You would double click on a .bat file I think, which would then start the self-extraction process.
I could probably find the name of it if I looked for it. Not that I'm recommending it. It's just that I'm still impressed by how compressed it could get things.
And Ponch's comment reminded me of it.

« Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2018, 13:24 »
I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size.

Compression rate also largely depends on the file contents. Files with lots of repeating data patterns are compressed most.
For example, for internal reasons AGS savegames contain a big chunk of data per room which is often unused and remains in default state. As number of visited rooms grow saves become really large but very small when compressed. I recall compressing 2+ GB of "The Cat Lady" saves into something like 10 MB regular zip archive.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2018, 14:58 by Crimson Wizard »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2018, 13:57 »
I remember this one compression software that had a ridiculous amount of compression ratio. Usually more than halfing the file size.

Compression rate also largely depends on the file contents. Files with lots of repeating data patterns are compressed most.
For example, for internal reasons AGS savegames contain a big chunk of data per room which is often unused and remains in default state. As number of visited rooms grow saves become really large but very small when compressed. I recall compressing 2+ GB of "The Cat Lady" saves into something like 10 MB regular zip archive.
Alright, I want you to imagine for a moment you see two downloads for a game. One is 2gb, the other is 800mb. The 2gb download is in a WinRar, that when uncompressed is probably just over 3.5gb. The 800mb one has a bunch of other files including a .bat file. Naturally you think the 800mb one is fake. But it isn't. It's the full 3.5gb game, compressed with an incredible compression program that claims it's still in its alpha stage.
THAT is what I'm talking about. (nod)

A quick look has found me something called "Maximum Compression", I'm not sure if that's the program I'm thinking about. But it looks like it could be. I'd honestly have to download it and try it out to be sure.

Gurok

• Rottwheelers
  • When life hands you lemons, combine them with the mop
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2016, for improving and extending the AGS scripting language
    • Gurok worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Gurok worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #25 on: 01 Oct 2018, 15:54 »
That sounds like NanoZip or PAQ8

Adeel

• Cavefish
« Reply #26 on: 01 Oct 2018, 16:43 »
Alright, I want you to imagine for a moment you see two downloads for a game. One is 2gb, the other is 800mb. The 2gb download is in a WinRar, that when uncompressed is probably just over 3.5gb. The 800mb one has a bunch of other files including a .bat file. Naturally you think the 800mb one is fake. But it isn't. It's the full 3.5gb game, compressed with an incredible compression program that claims it's still in its alpha stage.
THAT is what I'm talking about. (nod)

A quick look has found me something called "Maximum Compression", I'm not sure if that's the program I'm thinking about. But it looks like it could be. I'd honestly have to download it and try it out to be sure.

You're talking about UHARC. :)

E: I should mention that the program itself isn't 'self-contained', as you're recalling. Those were actually self-extracting archives created using UHARC.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2018, 17:18 by Adeel »
-