Colour handling for GUIs and Speech

Started by Babar, Sun 23/09/2018 13:38:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

So I created a palette of colours I want to use for my game, and that includes for the GUI items and speech colours as well.
Unfortunately, for all of my colours, they cannot be used in speech colours or GUIs.

For example, say I want to use a nice shade of blue at about 18, 111, 126 RGB for a character's speech colour. So I put that into their SpeechColor property, but it gets reset to 16, 108, 120.
The same with GUI elements.

This might just be a sad reality of working in AGS right now, but then the next part is a bug as well.
I tried plugging the colours I wanted into the Palette tab in the AGS Colours menu- I tried both using the pre-existing colours 1-15, as well as adding new ones to the end. Now if I choose the colour index to the colour I want in SpeechColour properties of characters or BackgroundColour properties of UI elements, the editor shows the correct colour with the correct RGB code, but in-game, the colours shown are the same hardcoded colours for that index- so for example, if I plugged in my blue shade at palette index 7, the editor shows the blue I want, but in-game, it shows the grey colour that is colour 7.

And yes, I'm using 32bit. 8bit would've been great, but the days of being able to smoothly 8 bit seem to be far behind AGS, and there was too much mucking about required to do that.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Gilbert

For the channel values got resetting, (unless things have changed) AGS can only use colour values in the 16-bit space (even if the game is set up to be 32-bit), so that all the colour channel values would be snapped to the 16-bit range, i.e. you cannot use precise 32-bit values for raw-drawing and speeches, etc., and only approximate values can be used.

Also, the colours for the lower indices(couldn't remember how many, probably #0-16 or #0-20) are also hard-coded, overriding the "correct" colours(as far as I remember, the "pure" blues) in 16 or 32-bit modes, so you cannot get accurate pure blue colours. A workaround is to add some slight red and green to the other two channels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk