MAGS October "Miniature" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/10/2018 00:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS November?

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess
3 (23.1%)
Captain Carver's Carnival Curios
1 (7.7%)
Dr. Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Fri 16/11/2018 00:02:18

Slasher

Dr. Chuckles' miniature world of madness.
DOWNLOAD
Created by Slasher and Mike G...

Synopsis:

You are officer Marc Delago. You've been tasked with reopening a cold case leading back to the 80's, involving a string of missing people in the Sleepy Oak area, after new evidence matching the M.O. of the deranged maniac behind the kidnappings came to light.

A heavily wounded and psychologically distressed man claiming to be an escaped victim of the kidnapper has provided a compelling statement that could lead you straight to his captor.

Will you finally bring justice to the homicidal mad man behind these kidnappings?

Are these kidnappings in any way linked to the disappearance of the governor's daughter?

What hidden dangers will you encounter along the way?

Find out in Dr Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness.

Specs:
1280 X 720
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration

Mandle

Slasher, that looks amazing! Can't wait to try!

kaput

Hey guys. Dr Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness didn't have a chance to be tested, so we're doing that now.

Found some game breaking bugs that brought the gameplay to a grinding halt, but they've been fixed now. Still sifting through. Slasher will probably update the mediafire link soon but here's a link to the fixed version of the game @ dropbox:

Dr. Chuckles' miniature world of madness Download (Game breaking bugs fixed):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1jk9x8v1a5pb14/Dr%20Chuckles%20Miniature%20World%20of%20Madness.zip?dl=0

Slasher

New build uploaded

VampireWombat

I'm glad to see something else did get submitted. Of course when I submitted my game I didn't realize there had been a time change since the time change doesn't happen here until this Sunday...
So, some warnings about my game.
Spoiler

I didn't have time to do a full playthrough, I didn't have time to do dialog trees for more than 2 characters, most of the subtlety and foreshadowing is missing, and what's needed to get the ended was severely dumbed down. And I had to cut being able to choose characters because of the coding required for the mirror room. Probably at least one of these would have been slightly different if I had actually noticed the time change before hand. But it has a beginning, middle, and end. But I'm fairly happy with the results since I only worked on it 6 days.
[close]

Stupot

[Stu's a moron]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 01/11/2018 13:32:37
The contest is now closed and the voting begins.
Vote using the poll above.
Not to be too nitpicky, but aren't you forgetting BlondBraid's entry?

Slasher

A new revised, bug sorted build is now uploaded...

DOWNLOAD

Blondbraid

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 01/11/2018 13:35:20
Quote from: Stupot on Thu 01/11/2018 13:32:37
The contest is now closed and the voting begins.
Vote using the poll above.
Not to be too nitpicky, but aren't you forgetting BlondBraid's entry?
Exactly, I'm feeling like chopped liver over here. :(

Slasher

You'll have to forgive Stupot, he's getting older (laugh)

The Outer Zone

Looking forward to play your games!
When I'm done playing, I will give a comment as usual.

Looks promising! Good job everyone :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Stupot

Sorry Blondbraid. Not sure how I let that happen. If it's any consolation I love a bit of chopped liver.

I've reset the voting now.
Please vote using the poll above.

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess by Blondbraid

Captain Carver's Carnival Curios by VampireWombat

Dr. Chuckles' miniature world of madness by Slasher and Mikeg

Happy voting.

Slasher

Have you downloaded the very latest build (last night---Fri 02)?

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2302/

My apologies to those that haven't...

Blondbraid

I just voted, here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
It's a very neat idea, but it was a bit disappointing that there was no graphics for the map screen.
[close]
Dr. Chuckles' miniature world of madness by Slasher and Mikeg
Spoiler
The story and visuals very much reminded me of a slasher movie. :)
Anyway, there were some good puzzles and animations, and the timer gave some stakes and tension. I ended up voting for this game.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 03/11/2018 10:21:39
Spoiler
It's a very neat idea, but it was a bit disappointing that there was no graphics for the map screen.
[close]
Spoiler
Thanks. Actually, that's one of the issues I fixed yesterday. I'll be uploading a revised non-MAGS version sometime today if you're interested in seeing the 2 player characters, more dialog, etc.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Just an (OT) notice. Seems like MediaFire now has added code to detect if you have an adblocker running, and won't let you download the file... >:(

Anyway, after a little fiddle and trying to find an addon for Firefox to make the addblocker "stealth"... I ended up finding the easier way: Just turn off scripts from mediafire. Then you can download free of nagging "please pay or turn your add block off" screen. :-D How long this will work, I don't know. But for now it works, so enjoy it will it lasts.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Shadow1000

Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler
Beautiful graphics as expected from Blondbraid! My comments and evaluation are based on the second release. A good, short game. Lots of little puzzles and things to do, combining inventory to solve problems and so on, and the miniature theme was included. Puzzles were on the easy side; the only place where I got stuck was
Spoiler
finding the seam, because it blended in visually with the rest of the chair. The only way I can think a player would find it would be by moving the cursor around the room
[close]
. Good job!
[close]

Spoiler
Decent graphics and a few things to do. No puzzles per se. The miniature aspect was the voodoo doll (?)
[close]

Spoiler
Before my comments on the game, I want to point out that part of my ratings of a MAGS entry includes how the entry relates to the theme. This one wins that hands down, in the sense that 80% of the game is based on the theme rather than forcing something small into a game. As far as the game itself, the graphics and animation are AWESOME. Good job to Slasher for engaging someone so talented. The game is really well-designed in terms of the concept, story, puzzles, gameplay, atmosphere and length. Even had it not been a MAGS entry I would have a glowing review. A lot of the crazy evil scientist reminded me of the Joker from Batman with the HA HA all over the place, booby-trapped teddy bear, nursery rhymes and so on. It just had so much evil all over it that it was particularly perfect for Halloween. Some small pointers: a bit of proofreading for the spelling would add to the polish. As well, the last puzzle would have been nice had the bottles been labelled so players who cannot tell colours visually would be able to solve it without almost random guessing. Otherwise, EXCELLENT job; possibly Slasher's best so far
[close]

Soo....it's probably not difficult to predict that my vote goes to
Spoiler
[close]

Well done!

cat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 03/11/2018 14:14:03
Just an (OT) notice. Seems like MediaFire now has added code to detect if you have an adblocker running, and won't let you download the file... >:(
Yes, this is really annoying. Could you use another file-host in the future?

Edit: I played all games

Spoiler
Nice story, graphics and puzzles, but the miniature aspect is not really there.
[close]

Spoiler
Nice character art, but what about the rest? Next time maybe focus on story and gameplay before you spend so much time on character art and a mirror effect.
[close]

Spoiler
Great graphics and atmosphere. Some really nice puzzles, even though I didn't like that it was timed. I had a bit of trouble with the hotspots of the cursors - it was hard to hit the scroll-down button in the inventory. Good use of the miniature theme.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
[close]

Slasher

Quotecat: I had a bit of trouble with the hotspots of the cursors - it was hard to hit the scroll-down button in the inventory. Good use of the miniature theme.
You probably had an early build...

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk