MAGS October "Miniature" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/10/2018 00:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS November?

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess
3 (23.1%)
Captain Carver's Carnival Curios
1 (7.7%)
Dr. Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Fri 16/11/2018 00:02:18

morganw

I had similar problems, the 'active' part of the cursor was changing, and the sizes were so different that I was struggling to work the interface.
Spoiler
The overall presentation and style was really good, but just based on the control issues, I voted for Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess. I seem to be the only person not penalising it for not matching the theme, but I'm not seeing any better application of it in the other two games. Honestly, if I had to guess, I'd say that both of these games have had the theme retro-fitted. I also thought that the dialog in Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess was very well written and entertaining.

I struggled to play Captain Carver's Carnival Curios, I thought the game had gone wrong because of the map screen, and then it wouldn't let me pickup a drink, which I just told someone I would get for them. Apologies, but I gave up.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: morganw on Wed 07/11/2018 16:00:29
Spoiler

I struggled to play Captain Carver's Carnival Curios, I thought the game had gone wrong because of the map screen, and then it wouldn't let me pickup a drink, which I just told someone I would get for them. Apologies, but I gave up.
[close]
Spoiler
Yeah, the map didn't get its own graphics. Sorry about that. It should still function, though. But I'm surprised you had trouble getting the drink. The one on the top of the stack in the refreshment tent is the only one that can be grabbed. Did you not see it? Or did you just not go to the refreshment tent?
By the way, the non-MAGS version does at least fix the map.
[close]

Cassiebsg

I think the problem with grabbing it was that you couldn't just click on the stack, but needed to click that exact one. Maybe the text should have said something like "If I take that one the entire stack with fall off..." ;)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

morganw

Yeah, I think I clicked the stack rather than the top can...

VampireWombat

Given some of the moon logic in adventure games, I never would have expected that to be a problem. But okay, easy fix.

Stupot

Thanks for the votes and comments so far. One week left.
Don't forget to rate them on the database if they're on there.

Stupot

ting is over and the winner is Dr. Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness by Slasher and Mikeg

Congratulations, gents. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for December.

Thanks to all voters and participants.

Slasher

Thanks to those who voted for Dr. Chuckles.

Cheers..

Blondbraid

Another win for Slasher. Congratulations!

The Outer Zone

Better late than never - here are my comments on the games!
I did remember to vote in time though :)

Really nice to see what you did with the theme :D

Colonel Carvers Carnival Curios by VampireWombat:
Spoiler
I liked the theme of quitting - I would have loved to explore that further.
And the mirror room was nice. Good idea with voodoo doll as the "miniature".
A strange little experience as always :)
[close]

Dr Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness by Slasher and Mike G
Spoiler
Best Slasher game I've played so far :) The story and scenes use the miniature theme really well.
Maybe a bit too many clichés for my taste, but the whole concept was nice and the story well told.
Also good to see a consistant artstyle.
[close]

Captain Downes and the Pirate Princess by Blondbraid
Spoiler
A fine adventure indeed! Too much pixelhunting though..
I tried out everything for some time before the curser found the seam (I didn't see it at all).
I wish it was a bit more obvious what had to be done.
Building the weapon from the curiosities was great :)
[close]

And my vote went to:

Spoiler
Dr Chuckles' Miniature World of Madness by Slasher and Mike G
[close]
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk