Who made Snarky moderator?

Started by [delete}, Mon 08/10/2018 21:44:51

Previous topic - Next topic

[delete}

off this thread is a nice oh-so-well-sensible ending to a thread from 16 May 2018 actually you digged up on 03 Oct 2018. Of course with your typical negative intent, as usual, since you could've also linked to a normal Twitter post of Mark.

Who actually made you moderator here, Gunnar? Cannot see why you should be in charge. Also when did we vote here for you (or any moderator at all)? All I know is that Peder who is actually paying all the bills since years allows you to be here.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Amélie on Mon 08/10/2018 21:44:51
Who actually made you moderator here, Gunnar? Cannot see why you should be in charge. Also when did we vote here for you (or any moderator at all)? All I know is that Peder who is actually paying all the bills since years allows you to be here.

And this is why you would never be given moderator privileges.

Andail

All moderators are appointed either by other moderators or by CJ himself.

Danvzare

Look, apart from a bit of controversy from that "Where`s m0ds?" thread, where I think Snarky did a good job at explaining himself. I see no reason for this attack on Snarky.
Sure, he can get a bit "snarky" (laugh) at times, but so can I and quite a few others here on this forum.

If you think Snarky is bad, you clearly haven't been to many forums. I can name all of the forum assholes I've encountered during my time on the internet (seriously, they are a memorable bunch), and no one on this forum even comes close to any of them in terms of behaviour.

In other words, I think this all seems rather uncalled for if you ask me.

Babar

Alack, from whence came this foul tempest? I hereby challenge Snarky for his moderator hat. TO THE PAIN!

I really don't want to be a moderator, thanks
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ben X

Damn, this got split out into a whole new thread calling Snarky out? Harsh.

Gurok

Quote from: Babar on Tue 09/10/2018 18:05:31
Alack, from whence came this foul tempest? I hereby challenge Snarky for his moderator hat. TO THE PAIN!

What vile magic has invaded Daventry?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Click'd

Quote from: Ben X on Tue 09/10/2018 19:45:47
Damn, this got split out into a whole new thread calling Snarky out? Harsh.
Well, he DID revive an old thread just to point at someone raging elsewhere.

Jack

*dispatches a crow bearing a message, then stands aside a tree, cackling*

Layabout

So in a tale that is as old as time itself, Snarky challenged CJ to a duel over absolute control over the AGS forums. A five day battle for supremacy ensued, with Snarky being the ultimate victor. Being the new supreme ruler, Snarky then tried and convicted CJ of treason.

CJ was thus transported to Australia to serve out his sentence.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Snarky

Quote from: Layabout on Wed 10/10/2018 02:02:01
So in a tale that is as old as time itself, Snarky challenged CJ to a duel over absolute control over the AGS forums. A five day battle for supremacy ensued, with Snarky being the ultimate victor. Being the new supreme ruler, Snarky then tried and convicted CJ of treason.

CJ was thus transported to Australia to serve out his sentence.

That sounds about right. I am Saphrax!

(To answer the "question" of the thread, CJ made me a moderator. At the time, the previous mods for General Discussion and some other forums were no longer active on the forums, and a replacement was needed.)

Quote from: Babar on Tue 09/10/2018 18:05:31
I really don't want to be a moderator, thanks

Whyever not? Doesn't it just seem like tons of fun? :-X

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Wed 10/10/2018 01:04:20
Well, he DID revive an old thread just to point at someone raging elsewhere.

As I mentioned, the topic had come up at Mittens a couple of weeks before, so it was clearly still on people's minds. And hard as it is to believe, I don't follow Mark on Twitter, but I do read the AdventureGamers forums on and off; this was the first substantial thing I'd seen him communicate since he left. And most importantly, he addressed the issue directly. Maybe I should just have quoted this bit, which is obviously alluding to AGS:

Quote from: markymintIf you hadn't noticed, I have abandoned the majority of the “adventure game community” and I have no interest in the “adventure game family”. No, that is not because of some crusade against you or your business, or anyone elses, but it is a realization of this place being one big circle-jerk, where the only “correct” thing to do is to love anyone and everyone that is making an adventure game because “adventure game”.

To give praise and love to someone who tries to sue CBS for using ideas they put online in a public form without copyright 5 years ago, and not doing so is considered by the adventure game mob as dissenting. To get hyped and excited for games by people that have never finished a game and have been working on one we're all supposed to remain hyped about for years on end, but not liking it is again dissenting. To only say positive things about adventure gamers because discussion and debate (and criticism) is not welcome, unless it's only about artwork or puzzles, because anything else would be dissent. Despite there being a million other things ripe for criticism…

Though I think the rest of the rant provides useful context to indirectly explain his leaving as well.

So Mark (who the thread was asking about) gave his version of why he left the community (which the thread was asking about) in a post on a public forum a few days earlier, but linking to that post is a no-no because it (apparently even in his own mind) casts him in a poor light? I regret the shitstorm that ensued, but sorry, I don't buy that.

Andail

Alright, since Amélie hasn't asked any follow-up questions, I guess this issue is settled.
I'll move this to Rumpus, since some people seem to enjoy posting jokingly about Snarky's moderatorship. If Amélie thinks this is unappropriate, she can PM me and I'll lock it completely.

Mandle

* Mandle initiates a group hug.

This is a forum mostly for fledgling amateur game designers who either wish to dabble for fun or to test their wings to go on to bigger things.

Most who do the latter have already left but some still hang around as community members.

The modding of this forum is probably the most level-headed I have ever seen in a casual online forum, and I've been on community boards since 1999 when I first got the internet. I've never seen anyone actually banned here but on every other forum I've been on bans were just the norm. You saw at least one or two every week, permanent or not.

Of course not everyone can resist a snipe now and then, but we are all adults and does it really harm us when one is taken at us as long as it's not too personal or deliberately meant as bullying?

* Mandle closes the group hug

(You don't want those things going on until someone coughs)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk