Online Mensa Trial Test Is Great Fun For Adventure Gamers

Started by Mandle, Wed 10/10/2018 15:57:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

I just tried the Online Mensa Trial Test and it's great fun!

It's like a whole full-length adventure game's content of logic puzzles condensed down into the 20 minutes you are supposed to time yourself with to find out your chances of passing the actual real Mensa test.

I got a score of 29/33 which rated me with an "excellent" chance on the actual Mensa test. Bit of a bummer though because I actually thought I had them all right.

I went over the time limit of 20 minutes by about 7 minutes as I was more interested in solving the puzzles than finding out if I had a shot at Mensa or not. I hate puzzles of these sort with time limits in games.

If anyone else gives it a try and wants to post results here that might be fun, or just have fun with the puzzles... They are really good and most could be straight out of an adventure game if dressed up with some pretty graphics.

Cassiebsg

I got 27 right. A few ones I wasn't sure so I kind of guessed... wrong. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tabata

"Thank you for taking the Mensa Online Test!
You have 25 correct answers, this means you have good chances to pass the real Mensa Test"

... phew, oookaay ... buuut ...

"This test is intended for children between 6.5 years and 9.5 years, children from 9 years of age may participate in the adult test on October 13th, 2018."  :shocked:

:-[ I am a bit worried now (roll)

Stupot

27 here. I think a few of those questions, especially in the middle section, were pretty ambiguous. Like I could make logical justifications for two or even three possible answers.

I'm interested to know what you all got for this one:

1, 0, -1, 0 ...

That could have been anything.

Cassiebsg

I thought it was
Spoiler

1 but yes I'm not sure about it either
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 11/10/2018 00:32:03
27 here. I think a few of those questions, especially in the middle section, were pretty ambiguous. Like I could make logical justifications for two or even three possible answers.

I'm interested to know what you all got for this one:

1, 0, -1, 0 ...

That could have been anything.

Spoiler

There are no ambiguous answers actually after you have looked at everything that is going on and discounted everything that follows no rules that can be observed. If anything in a question follows no rules then, yes, it is ambiguous and can be ignored.

It took me some time to figure out that sometimes meaningless noise was in the puzzles on purpose and the goal was to eliminate the noise to find the one factor that could provide an answer.

In other news, the only possible logical answer to 1, 0, -1, 0 as the next number is 1, otherewise, yeah, it could have been anything.
[close]

Awesome to see everyone scoring in the high percentiles!

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 10/10/2018 18:28:09
"Thank you for taking the Mensa Online Test!
You have 25 correct answers, this means you have good chances to pass the real Mensa Test"

... phew, oookaay ... buuut ...

"This test is intended for children between 6.5 years and 9.5 years, children from 9 years of age may participate in the adult test on October 13th, 2018."  :shocked:

:-[ I am a bit worried now (roll)

SO AM I!!! I probably only got one of the next-in-the-sequence puzzles right because I know what the Fibonacci Sequence is. If a 9-year-old knows about that then they definately should have been playing outside a bit more often. If they didn't know about it but still got it right... IT'S A WITCH! BURN IT!

Danvzare

Ugh, I hate those types of puzzles. They're just pure logic. I'm the kind of guy, who when he was a kid, instead of putting the shapes in the right holes, instead tried to force the wrong shape so much, that the lid came off and I could easily put all of the shapes in.

I did that as a kid, and I operate under the same logic to this day.

dayowlron

I got 24. that was a tough test, but did it kinda fast cause didn't have a lot of time to spend on it.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mouth for war

Haha @Danvzare! What you said reminded me of my stepfather's brother. When he did jigsaw puzzles he banged pieces down with a hammer because they were supposed to be there according to him :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Kweepa

I got 28.
I agree with Stupot that there are several possibilities for several of the questions.
You can claim that there's only one possible answer but that shows a distinct lack of imagination. If anything coming up with an alternative to the 'accepted' answer shows intelligence.
I do think you have something with the 'noise' idea. This is all about finding patterns in noise. However, I think that ignoring noise is not correct. Rather it's coming up with a pattern that minimizes or eliminates the perceived noise. So any reasonable pattern that eliminates the noise could be considered correct. It's ignorant to assume that there's only one correct answer. There may even be several equally simple patterns - whatever your metric of simplicity is (eg levels of abstraction).

Spoiler

On the sequences:
1, 0, -1, 0, ...
I feel pretty deeply that 1 is the correct answer. But why? None of the other sequence questions are cycles. cos(n*pi/2) is a deep abstraction.
[close]
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Cassiebsg

@Kweepa

Spoiler

You did math on that on that one? 8-0
I just went 1-1=0,0-1=-1,-1+1=0; 0+1=1... Though with
out actually doing the math, more a logic sequence that felt right. And no, I wasn't sure, but the fact that the 0 repeats made me think go down, go up, go down, go up... So that was the logic I use to answer 1.
[close]

Creamy

QuoteI got a score of 29/33 which rated me with an "excellent" chance on the actual Mensa test. Bit of a bummer though because I actually thought I had them all right.

[imgzoom]http://www.finzionimagazine.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/hermione.gif[/imgzoom]

I got 25.

Do you know what's the answer for this one?

3968, 63, 8, 3, ...

Adeel

Quote from: Creamy on Sat 13/10/2018 20:48:08
Do you know what's the answer for this one?

3968, 63, 8, 3, ...
Spoiler
You start from 2. Square it and then subtract 1. Square the result you got and then subtract 1 from it. Repeat as long as necessary.

So,

(2^2) -1 = 3,
(3^2) - 1 = 8,
(8^2) - 1 = 63,
(63^2) -1 = 3968

Just reverse this method, and you will have your answer. It's 2.
[close]
Edit1: Formatted the post and added a few words.
Edit2: Put the answer in a spoiler. Thanks, Cassie.

Cassiebsg

Weee, another one I got right... and I suck at math. (laugh)
Adeel, you just hide the answer, btw.

Edit: @Tabata and rest of interested: Unless you got that line from a different alternate reality, I couldn't find it anywhere in the page, nor on the pages linking to the online test. I did however find it on the MensaKids->IQ tests for Kids... but it's mostly explaining how the test for kids works and cost (geez, do parents really pay 40 euros just to see if they're kids are really that smart?) And nowhere in that page thee's a link for the online test (I wanted to try the kids test and see if my 6y old could do it).
The online test is however linked under the Mensa, so I take it that IT IS the adult test.

Kumpel

Done! 26... and I am surprised! Some questions where really bad designed imho. Q19 f.e. MUST have mutliple solutions, because the task isn't explained, but only
Spoiler
square and pentagon are right in the eyes of the test designers.

Although there are several interpretations that would be all logical (f.e. "every combination of 4 different shapes" or "triangle=3 lines, Moon=2 Lines, Square=4L, Pentagon=5L"...)
[close]

You can check for the answers by reading the source code of the html site btw.

And Cassie is right. The mentioned sentence is aiming at the registration for the IQ test designed for kids. This test is indeed a common "pre"test to get a grip if you got the braiiiiiiins for becoming a member of the mensa society.

Thanks for the link, Mandle! I hoped to see other categories of a common iq test too, but it has nevertheless been a nice pastime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk