Oculus Go. Do you have one? Huh? Huh?!

Started by LimpingFish, Thu 01/11/2018 03:06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

I do.

It's my first experience with VR, and I like it. I've yet to experience the regular Oculus Rift, but I have to say, I'm leaning on the side of self-contained VR, rather than wires and shit. It's a cool feeling to have totally free movement, and not having to worry about the aforementioned wires and shit.

The Go is about as powerful as a high-end phone, and only has three degrees of tracking (as opposed to the Rift's six), but as an entry-level VR system, I feel it works well. Of course, it'll soon be superseded by the Oculus Quest, but if anyone is on the fence about buying one, I'd say do it. It retails in the sub-$300 range, and for the price...well, in my opinion it's worth it.

Good games:

Thumper: A surprisingly close-to-Rift version of this...rhythm...shooter?

EVE Gunjack 2 - End of Shift: A fun turret shooter. Yes...they exist!

Augmented Empire: A decent XCOM-type strategy game.

Dead Body Falls: A short adventure game, set in a hotel. And It's free!

Relic Seeker: Hypogeum: A puzzle-heavy adventure game, not too hard, with good use of 3D.

Break a Leg: Do magic tricks for aliens. Yes, that's what I said!

Why am I posting this? Well, I'm curious as to whether anyone else has bought a Go unit. Well...Well?!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

A wonderfully warm welcome to the worlds of vr dude.

I got a CV1 almost a year ago, was very skeptical about getting it (or any vr system), but I am glad I took the plunge into VR in the end.

I have tried about 200 or more experiences/games and although many of them are merely techy type demos there are just as many fully featured experiences out there. Some of them truly mind blowing.

The only game I have tried on your list is Beat Saber, it was fun, but I found it a bit hard.
So hard to pin down my fave experiences, certainly Lone Echo I would rate pretty high. Its great for sims too such as racing sims, I have played a good bit of Dirt Rally and Project Cars 2 in VR.. its great!

Here is a good site I regularly look at for VR news:  https://uploadvr.com/  (although for some reason it seems to be down/under maintenance today? dunno)
Another decent site here I follow:  https://www.roadtovr.com/

I also watch a youtube series from the Tested channel, called "Projections" they cover PSVR and others, mostly game reviews, tech reviews,  interviews.. and so on, worth bookmarking.
Here is a playlist for some of them, but I notice the playlist dose not include all of them
Quotehttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJtitKU0CAegPg74notdwhcnSCI-Z2RQ-

(or https://www.youtube.com/user/testedcom/videos to find the missing ones)

Anyway welcome aboard!

EDIT: sorry had to put link to youtube playlist into code tags because this forum seems to not work properly with playlist links and instead the forum shows a video embed of the first video in the playlist list. weird

ManicMatt

Nope, but I do have PSVR.

I've played the first Gunjack, we've yet to have the sequel. It was quite fun. Nothing amazing.

I don't like Thumper, although it's been theorised to me that perhaps I don't like music or music rhythm games because I'm a musician. Interesting theory, and although its probably different for everyone, it could ring true.

Danvzare

Nope. I've never even used VR. Although I would like to one day. (nod)
I still believe this whole VR thing is just a fad though, much like motion controls were. It's just that nothing beats sitting on your ass pressing buttons, especially with some game genres.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

defiantly well beyond a fad at this stage,  though I will concede and say its far from main stream practical yet, and global VR standards need to be established still, but its far gone from just a fad.
Lets not forget VR has been around since the 80s, but its practicalities had to wait for today's tech, VR has been patiently waiting for over 30 years. My definition of a fad is something that is new, comes then goes just as quick never to be seen again.

No im not trying to self justify the purchase of a rift here,  at least not consciously lol  :wink:

Limpingfish, if you liked Thumper you might like a game called Distance, though its not a game where you have to play along with music, but its a similar sort of abstract world where you control a vehicle through obstacles. It features tons of neon, which I am obsessed with. Not sure if its available for GO, but if it is I would highly recommend it. (play it in 3rd person view though)
(video is not showing VR mode, just regular pancake mode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j5KMLC-wRw

Danvzare

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Thu 01/11/2018 16:36:29
Lets not forget VR has been around since the 80s, but its practicalities had to wait for today's tech, VR has been patiently waiting for over 30 years. My definition of a fad is something that is new, comes then goes just as quick never to be seen again.
I would like to point out that 3D movies has been around since the 50s, it came back during the 80s, and again in the 10s. I suspect it'll make another come back in the 40s. With that being said, I would definitely call 3D a fad, and I also think VR is in the same boat. It'll die, only to come back again with everyone saying "It's not a fad this time! This time it's going to take off!"

But only time will tell. It's certainly lasting longer than I thought it would. But so did the latest 3D movie fad, and that finally died off a few years ago. :-D

ManicMatt

I thought 3d was a fad, and I still do. But VR, I thought it was a fad until I experienced it for myself, it really does feel like I have two consoles in one.

Now I'd never want it to replace "flat" games, I love playing both. I also don't want to be strapped into a headset whenever I want to play a game.

Additionally, knockout league boxing was a really good workout regime, great for my core. Sadly my knee has been getting dodgier lately so I had to stop.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Thu 01/11/2018 12:47:58
A wonderfully warm welcome to the worlds of vr dude.

Thank you very much!

Quote from: ManicMatt on Thu 01/11/2018 13:13:34
Nope, but I do have PSVR.

PSVR would probably be the other VR option I would go for, though it's still a few too many wires for me.

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 01/11/2018 15:04:21
I still believe this whole VR thing is just a fad though, much like motion controls were. It's just that nothing beats sitting on your ass pressing buttons, especially with some game genres.

The good thing about the Go is that it's largely geared towards seated VR (so much so, in fact, that I've seen people complain when a game requires standing and turning!).

I honestly think VR's biggest problem was Oculus's insistence on pushing room-scale as the true face of VR. It seems counter-productive to push a setup that few people can meet, or perhaps even want to meet, when trying to establish a significant user base. Facebook's desire to produce these self-contained units (The Go, and the upcoming Quest) has the potential to grow VR faster as a whole, without the hardware roadblocks keeping people out. The full Rift setup will still be a thing, of course, but one at the higher-end of product family, and not intended as an entry-level option.

As to VR being a fad, well, it's a fad in the sense that it's probably not a viable evolution of gaming as a whole; it's certainly not going to replace traditional gaming, if it was ever really meant to. But I think it can happily co-exist as a viable alternative to traditional gaming, whatever form it may take.

Jack

The viability of a VR headset for me depends on the use case. It would great for an RTS, or other things of this nature. It would be fantastic for a racing game, if you had one of these. Other than that I feel it is stuck in the uncanny valley at this point: The added visual realism highlights everything else that contributes to realism that is missing. The one that stands out the most of course is the sense of motion. Games can try to cover this up with teleporting gimmicks, which just makes it more of a niche, but motion sickness will always be a major force that keeps the current setup out of a significant portion of the market.

It has gone beyond a fad. The technology is good enough to have established a subculture. The technology is not good enough yet to take over gaming, like everyone assumed it would.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Jack on Sun 04/11/2018 19:31:04
The one that stands out the most of course is the sense of motion. Games can try to cover this up with teleporting gimmicks, which just makes it more of a niche, but motion sickness will always be a major force that keeps the current setup out of a significant portion of the market.

This is true. Motion sickness, specifically VR motion sickness, can be a problem for me, especially in games were some sort of buffer hasn't been designed to alleviate its effects. The physical disconnect caused by experiencing perceived motion while remaining static can be quite jarring. And if the game doesn't take that into account, particularly fast moving games (Done right: Thumper. Done wrong: A stupidly large amount of titles!)  things can go bad real fast.

I don't mind teleporting, or snap rotating. In fact, I prefer them to attempts to mimic traditional FPS movement. I think there's an somewhat unfair backlash of sorts against any control method which doesn't provide that freedom of movement, despite it's potential (un)suitability.

I think it's somewhat telling that the VR experiences I've enjoyed the most are the more sedately paced ones.

ManicMatt

I did get a little motion sick in vr at first but now I can play games with full locomotion, with all visual comforts switched off.

But I do know people who still suffer motion sickness. They tend to combat it with say, a fan blowing on them, or treat it like car motion sickness, wearing those bands.

I think all vr games that are first person should give both locomotion and teleporting/snap turning options.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

I threw myself into the deep end the first few days I got it, deliberately subjecting myself to the most extreme experiences.  Those first few days I didn't so much feel any nausea while in vr but did feel .. um a bit weird for a few hours after experiences, but that feeling wore off after a few weeks. I think I was defiantly lucky with the lack of sickness in vr., its funny because growing up I had issues with car sickness as a passenger, though since driving myself I don't get sick anymore. I think being in control is a factor, dunno.

Anyway regarding what experiences I felt work best in terms of levels of immersion in vr, well that's hard for me to pin down, I think for me it really depends on what I am playing, or perhaps what mood I am in.  Full immersion games such as experiences that have you using your hands in vr and walking around and stuff are great, but really awkward, in particular first person free movement shooters. I tend to just play fps games on my tv. But other full immersion games such as Lone Echo I rate some of my fave experiences, really making the full use of vr.

On the other hand, the games I find I come back to time and time again are sit down experiences, such as Project Cars and other sims , not because they are better or worse experiences then full immersion games, but I think its just easier and more comfortable sitting down, rather then standing up waving your arms around.  If its a vr experience I intend to spend more then half an hour inside then its usually a sit down experience.

I live in a tiny place so even the room scale stuff I cant play very well. I cant really take a step in any direction without being in danger of hitting something with the touch controllers or knocking something over. I would like to experience proper room scale games properly though.

TripTilt

you gentle but filthy rich VR gear owning peopl, please try this video with VR headset and tell me how this is :)
(I sure hope disorienting as hell :D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0TqqcUyo4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk