MAGS November "Scarecrows" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/11/2018 13:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatââ,¬â,,¢s your favourite game of MAGS November?

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain
0 (0%)
Black Friday
7 (46.7%)
Blooded Fields
5 (33.3%)
The Strawman Augment
1 (6.7%)
Strawman Bombing Disposal
1 (6.7%)
Sniper and Spotter Climbing a Tower
0 (0%)
The Wicked Witch of the West
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sun 23/12/2018 06:36:11

Stupot

The voting is over and we have a Winner:

Black Friday by Danvzare.

Well done, Dan. You will be messaged in Due course about coming up with a topic for January.

Unlucky to Nr 2698 for your close 2nd. You could call it a Nr miss.

Thanks to everyone else who participated. Great numbers this month. Let's keep it up.

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain by Slasher

Black Friday by Danvzare

Blooded Fields by Nr. 2698

The Strawman Augment by Durinde

STRAWMAN  BOMBING  DISPOSAL by Mandle

Sniper and spotter climbing a tower by Blondbraid

The Wicked Witch of the West by Cleanic

Topic: Scarecrows
Suggested by: Slasher and Kastchey
Deadline: November 30th

The challenge for this month is to make a game featuring a scarecrow in any form or role.
Regardless of the above picture, your scarecrow can, but does not have to be spooky! Feel free to pick the setting that best suits your game idea.

Using pre-made assets is fine.
Don't know where to find free assets? Try AGS Trove!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

VampireWombat

Ah oh, I just noticed the second rule of only being fueled by coffee. I've unwittingly been cheating by drinking Green Tea too. :embarrassed:

Now to make Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the game! Wait... Bruce Boxleitner didn't play an actual Scarecrow? Oops. Guess I'll try another attempt at some kind of Urban/Contemporary Fantasy game instead.

Mandle

One of my favorite lines of bad writing that somehow made it past the editor because they just didn't read the book (probably because the series had already made them stupidly rich) comes from Matthew Reilly's fifth novel in his Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield series. titled simply "Scarecrow"...

And it went something like this:

"He looked out over the desert and saw not a single trace of his foe, except for the jeep speeding away into the distance."

Sometimes bad writing can be so bad that it becomes legendary!

(Also, the book is awesome! If you ever want to read a PS2 game in actual paper page-by-page format then buy "Scarecrow". Each level ahem... chapter... even has a map graphic at the start to show you what environment you are about to read about... It's so good!)

VampireWombat

Like a PS2 game? So it takes an hour to get used to reading it and if you stop reading it and try coming back to it a month or more later it'll be almost impossible without starting from the beginning?
I looked it up and was surprised to see a missile on the cover. "James Bond and Dirk Pitt can step aside - a new action hero has arrived to take their place."
Now I'm going to have to look up Dirk Pitt since I've never actually read a spy novel and if there's been movies, I haven't heard of them...

But I suppose it does legitimize my joking about making a Scarecrow and Mrs. King game. Anyone want to take that challenge?

cat

Awesome topic! Too bad that I - as always - don't have enough time.

Someone please make a wizard of Oz game :)

VampireWombat

Hmm, tempting. I did write part of some fan sequels a few years ago. They were based purely on the L. Frank Baum ones. I have enough vague memory of the ideas I could probably do it. I'd have to re-read the books to do it justice, but it could be interesting. I'm not sure if the Wogglebug has been represented in any media outside of the books. I'll see what I can do.
I noticed the trend in the books of Glenda getting rid of magic. The first story I had in mind would be about the last of the magic other than her own being removed and the repercussions. And would somehow have Uncle Henry, the Wogglebug, and Oscar Zoroaster involved with a university. And that's all I had figured out for that story. My focus had been more on one further off, set more or less modern times.
So, I shall attempt to make The Last Magic of Oz. Unless a better title comes to mind.
And I realized since it's November, I could write things out and use it for NaNoWrimo to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Blondbraid

I'd like to make an entry of the idea I have, but I'm not sure if my idea of a "scarecrow" counts:
Spoiler
It's a corpse propped up by someone wanting to distract and intimidate their enemies.
[close]
Does this fit the theme enough?

Stupot

@Blondbraid, I think that is a  more than acceptable interpretation of the theme.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 04/11/2018 22:41:43
@Blondbraid, I think that is a  more than acceptable interpretation of the theme.
Great, I've already started making a test prototype of my entry!

VampireWombat

Okay, looks like I'm going through with The Last Magic of Oz. I'm going to attempt graphics along the lines of stuff published by Daedalic Entertainment. The backgrounds won't be as nice, of course. But my plan is to start 1 background and 1 character a day and work on details on the weekend until I have all the graphics I need or run out of time.
This will definitely be the most ambitious game I've tried, but at least I do have an end goal and over a dozen books for inspiration and ideas.

Slasher

Hi

Thought I would make my game based on the Wizard of Oz: Scarecrow and the meaning of life............

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 06/11/2018 08:16:06
Hi

Thought I would make my game based on the Wizard of Oz: Scarecrow and the meaning of life............

Not gonna quote the line...

Not gonna quote the line...

Not gonna say for--

*slaps himself*

Ow!  *rubs sore cheek* That was close.

Anyway, let's see where this goes.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 06/11/2018 08:16:06
Hi

Another Wizard of Oz game? This'll be interesting.

cat

Danvzare

Sounds like this is shaping up to be one very interesting MAGS. :-D

Cassiebsg

I got a scarecrow! :-D

Unfortunately that and a vague idea is all I have right now. (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Throw in a corn maze. Or have it brought to life by a magic hat like frosty the snowman and then go on a frolicking adventure. Or maybe have a kid wanting to make a scarecrow and getting a piece of clothing for it from different people. Maybe mix in ideas from a fairytale. There's so much you could do...

As for me, all I have is vague story ideas and sprites for Tik-Tok and the Sawhorse, with 2 backgrounds started.

Cassiebsg

QuoteOr have it brought to life

Damn, my vague idea is already taken. :P Basicly that's the story, it gets life... and then you, as the scarecrow, need to figure out how to not be alive anymore...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 07/11/2018 16:38:00
QuoteOr have it brought to life

Damn, my vague idea is already taken. :P Basicly that's the story, it gets life... and then you, as the scarecrow, need to figure out how to not be alive anymore...
It kind of sounds like EVERYONE has had the same idea. (laugh)

Kastchey

The same vague idea can still be turned into some entirely different games :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk