MAGS November "Scarecrows" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/11/2018 13:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatââ,¬â,,¢s your favourite game of MAGS November?

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain
0 (0%)
Black Friday
7 (46.7%)
Blooded Fields
5 (33.3%)
The Strawman Augment
1 (6.7%)
Strawman Bombing Disposal
1 (6.7%)
Sniper and Spotter Climbing a Tower
0 (0%)
The Wicked Witch of the West
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sun 23/12/2018 06:36:11

Nr. 2698

Hello,

after having so much fun to let our dectective out to solve the Case of "Blooded Fields" we would announce you, that we already work on a sequel to that game.  :=

Stupot

Last chance to get your votes in.

Buckethead

Sorry I forgot to vote but that wouldn't have affected the outcome I think.

Here's my feedback:

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain by Slasher
Spoiler

The game felt very innocent, maybe a game for children. Which is certainly not a bad thing. The graphics has a lot of visual noise which makes it harder for me to see objects you can click on. I thought the scarecrow walking in a circle in the intro was a nice touch.
[close]
Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
The graphics where nice and simple. Puzzles were pretty clear although I missed a few items because I forgot to look at the opened drawer. The voice acting added a lot to the overall enjoyment. Lots of funny dialog
[close]
Blooded Fields by Nr. 2698
Spoiler

I like a good dective story. The graphic were nice and retro. Some funny moments. I noticed the sword was flipped in the mansion compared to the newpaper but you couldn't really confront the owner about it. Maybe I missed something. The music didn't seemed to loop but just play once when you entered the room. There was a glitch when I ALT + TABBED out of the game. When I got back in the screen was half the size and black and white and I couldn't play anymore.
[close]
The Strawman Augment by Durinde
Spoiler

Nice simple graphics, the animations could have been better but it did the job. Pretty funny story and I like how you used the theme.
[close]
STRAWMAN  BOMBING  DISPOSAL by Mandle
Spoiler

I like puzzles games. The intro was pretty funny. Sadly I messed up, as one does, and the bomb exploded. When I tried to skip the intro to try again, the game closed. Might try again later.
[close]
Sniper and spotter climbing a tower by Blondbraid
Spoiler
I'm sorry to say that I haven't played any of your other games in this game series. Luckily the story was self contained. I really enjoyed the animations and humor. It was clear what your goals were right from the start. You did leave debug mode on and it wasn't clear to me how to save the game.
[close]
The Wicked Witch of the West by Cleanic
Spoiler

The graphics were nice and simple. I like the cutscenes, they were very effective. This game kind of suprised me in how long it was. I found a bug, you can already pick up the spoon with the scarecrow and grab some wine with it. Then later when Dorothy is freed you end up with two spoons.
[close]

I would have voted for:
Spoiler
Black friday
[close]

Blondbraid

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 23/12/2018 10:48:15
Sorry I forgot to vote but that wouldn't have affected the outcome I think.

Here's my feedback:
Spoiler
I'm sorry to say that I haven't played any of your other games in this game series. Luckily the story was self contained. I really enjoyed the animations and humor. It was clear what your goals were right from the start. You did leave debug mode on and it wasn't clear to me how to save the game.
[close]
Thank you, I'm glad that you liked my game and I hope you'd want to try the other games if you like this one. I didn't notice the debug mode was on, as for the saving, the game saves automatically, I suppose I could have made it clearer. Anyway, thank you so much for your feedback!

Stupot

The voting is over and we have a Winner:

Black Friday by Danvzare.

Well done, Dan. You will be messaged in Due course about coming up with a topic for January.

Unlucky to Nr 2698 for your close 2nd. You could call it a Nr miss.

Thanks to everyone else who participated. Great numbers this month. Let's keep it up

ZapZap

Congrats Danvzare! Lovely game! I hope you choose an interesting theme for january  (nod)
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Danvzare

Quote from: Cleanic on Mon 24/12/2018 14:54:54
Congrats Danvzare! Lovely game! I hope you choose an interesting theme for january  (nod)
Thank you!  :-D

Having won this contest at this time, almost feels like a Christmas present. Especially since this is the first contest I've won first place on in the AGS forums.
Thanks everyone who voted for Black Friday.  :-D

Slasher

Well done Danvzare

Keep it up   (nod)

Durinde

There were some great entries! I ultimately voted for Blooded Fields, but all the other entries had great aspects!

Congratulations to the winner!

Mandle

Quote from: Buckethead on Sun 23/12/2018 10:48:15
Spoiler

I like puzzles games. The intro was pretty funny. Sadly I messed up, as one does, and the bomb exploded. When I tried to skip the intro to try again, the game closed. Might try again later.
[close]

Hmmm... very strange. I've never had that happen or heard of it happening. I suspect it may be one of those rare and random glitches with AGS itself.

I would really appreciate it if you could try again and see if it is repeatable or just a one-off.

Oh, and conratz for Black Friday's win! It was the game I voted for and put a big smile on my face when playing. Loved the way you went full-on with the slasher movie tropes like
Spoiler
the ones having sex and doing drugs are always the ones to die etc.
[close]

Nr. 2698

First, congratulations for winning Dan. :)
And also thank you and Babar very much for cooperation on blooded fields.

We could be very happy with the result.
I think be brought a deep story to the players and many entries in the hints and tipps site showing people pay attention playing "Blooded Fields"

Admitted, we had a few problems with puzzledesign in the end. Its not comfortable to use the binaculars and dialogue with combination is coming before finding the safe.
Also its not clear, if you found the murder at the end.

Thus, @Danvzare is doing his own business from now, we are searching for some support in MAGS next month. We need a puzzlewriter and a dialoguewriter.

Have fun!
Christian

cat

I finally managed to play all the games. Here are some quick comments:

Scarecrow and his Quest to Find a Brain by Slasher
Spoiler
Nice game and some nice puzzle ideas, but overall mostly rather simple- story, puzzle and graphic wise.
[close]

Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
Hilarious, it was a pleasant surprise that the scarecrow was the player character. The voice acting adds a lot, the hay animation made me crack up. Are there different endings?
[close]

Blooded Fields by Nr. 2698
Spoiler
Great graphics, funny and logical story, I liked the final quiz which was all logical when you took the hints into consideration. I couldn't figure out that I have to right-click on the spyglass. The scarecrow was only a minor thing in the game.
[close]

The Strawman Augment by Durinde
Spoiler
Cute game, idea and graphics, funny writing but very short. I hope to see more games from you in the future.
[close]

Spoiler
Difficult but fun puzzle game. I wrote more details in the game's thread already.
[close]

Spoiler
Very nice addition to the series. Good story and puzzles. What I didn't like was that the screen blacked out quite often, which kinda breaks immersion for me. I know you cannot animate everything, but you could experiment with just swapping sprites while playing a sound effect - this can do wonders! I'm always surprised about how openly you depict dead soldiers and the gruels of war while keeping the mood actually funny. This contrast makes your games very special.
[close]

The Wicked Witch of the West by Cleanic
Spoiler
Very cute graphics and great take on the original story. It's a pity you weren't able to add some polish to the game. It is very rough around the edged which makes some puzzles feel weird. I hope you will work on it a bit more because there is potential for a great game!
[close]

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Mon 21/01/2019 21:18:35
Black Friday by Danvzare
Spoiler
Hilarious, it was a pleasant surprise that the scarecrow was the player character. The voice acting adds a lot, the hay animation made me crack up. Are there different endings?
[close]
Sorry, no. There are no alternate endings. The continue button is only there in case the game crashes or you forget to save.
I'm planning on updating the game so that it deletes the autosave after completion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk