Resolution

Started by zurik, Mon 12/11/2018 18:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

zurik

Hi guys.
I have read a lot of discussions on this forum about which resolution is "best" and all the advices, but I see that most of the posts are over 5 years old. That's why I hope it's ok to ask again:
1) Which resolutions would you recommend and why isn't the highest possible resolution the best solution.
2) When I am trying to work with the rooms with high resolution backgrounds, I can't zoom out enough, and it is complicated to work scrolling around the room all the time, or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much for all the advices!

VampireWombat

Resolution is mostly decided by the type of graphics. A lot of people prefer to do lower resolution graphics, thus using a lower resolution for the game. So it's impossible to recommend a resolution really. I personally tend to prefer wide screen resolutions. 426x240, 480àâ€"360, 640àâ€"480, or 1280x720 usually. It just depends on the game.
And you didn't provide enough info for the second part. How large of a background are you using compared to size of your monitor?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: zurik on Mon 12/11/2018 18:12:05
1) ... why isn't the highest possible resolution the best solution.

If player's system does not support the native resolution of your game, then they will have to play game downscaled, and with 2D engine like AGS upscaling works better than downscaling, latter usually makes the graphics much worse, especially the text.

Quote from: zurik on Mon 12/11/2018 18:12:05
2) When I am trying to work with the rooms with high resolution backgrounds, I can't zoom out enough, and it is complicated to work scrolling around the room all the time, or am I doing something wrong?

There is an old arbitrary limitation of zoom amount in the AGS Editor, which is hopefully going to be improved in the WIP 3.5.0 version.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk