First time doing pixel art, like feedback thanks?

Started by KeepItSimple, Mon 26/11/2018 13:46:56

Previous topic - Next topic

KeepItSimple

This is my first time doing pixel art
I'm not really sure about the size,

(Not sure if its obvious it's a 3d model I made and drew on top of, I rendered with different resolution sized and still not sure what the best size is for pixel art.

Would like any feedback. Thanks.

Matti

She's huuuge 8-0! She wouldn't even fit in any game using a standard pixel-resolution.

If you're going for such a high resolution (and little detail) I wouldn't recommend drawing on a pixel-level. I'd keep the art in 3d (and maybe use some toon-shader?), draw with soft brushes or use a vector art program.

If you really want to do pixel-art, use a lower resolution and make the character much smaller. Most pixel art games have a 320x180, 320x200 (or 320x240) resolution. Wadjet Eye's latest game Unavowed has a resolution of 640x360. If you go much higher than that you can't distinguish the pixels anyway..

Danvzare

Quote from: Matti on Mon 26/11/2018 16:03:05
She's huuuge 8-0! She wouldn't even fit in any game using a standard pixel-resolution.

If you're going for such a high resolution (and little detail) I wouldn't recommend drawing on a pixel-level. I'd keep the art in 3d (and maybe use some toon-shader?), draw with soft brushes or use a vector art program.
+1
Either that, or use vector art.
You generally want the pixels in pixel art to be clearly identifiable. In other words, pixel art is best suited to low-res art. You can of course make high-res pixel art, but you're either going to get something that looks terrible or that requires way WAY too much effort.

selmiak

you can also animate the 3D model you drew on and render this out...

KeepItSimple

Quote from: Matti on Mon 26/11/2018 16:03:05

If you really want to do pixel-art, use a lower resolution and make the character much smaller. Most pixel art games have a 320x180, 320x200 (or 320x240) resolution. Wadjet Eye's latest game Unavowed has a resolution of 640x360. If you go much higher than that you can't distinguish the pixels anyway..

Haha ;-D alright thanks or advice, I think I'm going to go do the toon shader you suggested.

KeepItSimple

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 27/11/2018 18:20:30
you can also animate the 3D model you drew on and render this out...
Yeah, I was thinking of drawing on top of it creating a walk cycle in blender then pixeling it. But I'm going to cel shade it maybe. I'll experiment a little. Thanks for reply.:)

Jack

I like this style. A game made with it would be really unique. If it's easy to do, I say go for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk