Strawman Bombing Disposal Help-Line

Started by Mandle, Thu 29/11/2018 15:25:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Firstly, I'd just like to ask people to not post hints to the game just yet.

I will be working on a gentle hint system here over the next few days:

Here's the first nudge:

I can't complete the "countdown"

Slight Hint:
Spoiler
There is a pattern to the eye bleeps that represents a countdown from ten.
[close]

Bigger Hint:
Spoiler
Try writing down the numbers from ten downwards and then matching number of eye bleeps next to them.
[close]

Even Bigger Hint:
Spoiler
There are many different ways to write down numbers.
[close]

Total Giveaway Hint:
Spoiler
Try writing the numbers down as words.
[close]

The hidden section below concerns the next puzzle after the countdown has been completed:
Spoiler

I don't know what to input into the readouts:

Slight Hint:
Spoiler
Listen to the phrase the villain repeats over and over.
[close]

Bigger Hint:
Spoiler
Try to input the phrase the villain repeats with only the four available letters.
[close]

Even Bigger Hint:
Spoiler
There can be many different ways to spell out spoken words.
[close]

Total Giveaway Hint:
Spoiler
Each word in the respelling of "SO YOU KNEW" is three letters long and can be spelled with only the letters "NSEW". The middle word is probably the hardest but there is a way.
[close]
[close]

Mandle

The help-line has been updated with complete 4-level hints for the first two puzzles.

I do wish that you really try hard to solve the puzzles yourself before resorting to the hints as your reaction to solving the puzzles after hearing the hints will probably be about the same as having a joke explained to you after you didn't get it: Not a lot of fun.

Wiggy

I quite agree, but the first 3 puzzles were logical, diabolical but solvable. The 4th is where I find no logic.
Spoiler
Make an equation with the following, assuming all the laws of maths apply: 1,2,3,5,6,+,=,x
I tried 5x3+6=21, and commutative variations
[close]

This must be hard to code, and when the vocal clues helped in the past, I got nothing from this one. But then I don't watch Hollywood movies.

Mandle

Quote from: Wiggy on Sat 01/12/2018 12:08:23
I quite agree, but the first 3 puzzles were logical, diabolical but solvable. The 4th is where I find no logic.
Spoiler
Make an equation with the following, assuming all the laws of maths apply: 1,2,3,5,6,+,=,x
I tried 5x3+6=21, and commutative variations
[close]

This must be hard to code, and when the vocal clues helped in the past, I got nothing from this one. But then I don't watch Hollywood movies.

Thank you so much for this comment!

Spoiler
I tried to go through all the variants in my mind of outcomes for the math and couldn't find any others, but you have found one!

I was too lazy to actually code in a maths engine for this puzzle because I thought there was only one outcome, possibly, but I will now go and plug this new one into the game.
[close]

Cheers!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 29/11/2018 15:25:52
Firstly, I'd just like to ask people to not post hints to the game just yet.

I can't complete the "countdown"

Total Giveaway Hint:
Spoiler
Try writing the numbers down as words.
[close]

I'm still stuck

Spoiler
I get that the number of flashes corresponds to the number of letters in each word. i.e. RIGHT - 3 = TEN; LEFT - 4 = NINE and so on. Now what...?
[close]

Thank you

Wiggy

Hi Shadow1000!

You're almost there:

Spoiler
The strawman is counting down from ten to zero, and you are required to input after "six" (three left flashes), so click the right eye 4 times for "five" then click the left eye to "enter", the next is 5 for "three" and so forth.
[close]
Hope that helps!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Wiggy on Sun 02/12/2018 05:30:57
Hi Shadow1000!

You're almost there:

Spoiler
The strawman is counting down from ten to zero, and you are required to input after "six" (three left flashes), so click the right eye 4 times for "five" then click the left eye to "enter", the next is 5 for "three" and so forth.
[close]
Hope that helps!

Thank you! I don't think I would have gotten that...hopefully the rest of the puzzles will be more solvable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk