LucasArts Adventure Game Rankings

Started by Babar, Sat 01/12/2018 21:33:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Top Tier (unsorted because that is too hard):
  • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge- Graphics, music, humour, feeling of adventure
  • Loom: puzzles, innovation, atmosphere, music-interlaced-with-story
  • Grim Fandango: Story, writing, characters (are all those the same thing?), music (although I'm not THAT big a fan of the style, so I wouldn't say music myself), and unfortunately horrible controls at the time
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Possibly nostalgia speaking here, but I thought the graphics, music and insult swordfighting were great
  • Day of the Tentacle: The time travel puzzles

Middle Tier (solid adventure games that just weren't the very best of LucasArts)
6- Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis: Possibly belonged in the Top Tier, but it was getting too big ;D. Lots of interesting interplay between Indy & Sophia.
7- Sam & Max: Hit the Road: Awesome humour, fun interactions between the two main characters, zany setting.
8- Full Throttle: Interesting setting, Pretty graphics, Fitting music and voice acting
9- The Curse of Monkey Island: Pretty graphics (I'd rate this at the end of the middle tier, though, but that could just be my "This isn't what Monkey Island is!" fanboyism speaking).

Bottom Tier (some rated low for simply being too primitive design-wise, not their fault, maybe at their time they were at the top of the game)
10- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
11- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
12- Maniac Mansion
13- The Dig
14- Escape from Monkey Island
- Labyrinth: was never able to finish this game, so perhaps it is unfair to rate it 15th, lets just say "unmarked rank"

So what do you say? Agree? Disagree? COME FIGHT ME BRO
**List excludes remakes and desktop adventures**
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

CaptainD

Wow... this will be tough, what I will say is that I almost 100$ disagree with your "bottom tier" selections!! :-D  Might come back later and do my own list but it's a tough one...

Danvzare

This is my list:
I agree with a lot of your choices. There's just a few which I think needed changing.

Top Tier (unsorted because that is too hard):
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Grim Fandango
  • The Curse of Monkey Island
  • Day of the Tentacle

Middle Tier (solid adventure games that just weren't the very best of LucasArts)
5- The Secret of Monkey Island
6- Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
7- Full Throttle
8- Maniac Mansion
9- Sam & Max: Hit the Road

Bottom Tier (some rated low for simply being too primitive design-wise, not their fault, maybe at their time they were at the top of the game)
10- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
11- The Dig
12- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
13- Loom
14- Escape from Monkey Island
- Labyrinth

ManicMatt

This is my super controversial list (Or not):

Top Tier (Sorted, which IS very hard!):
1 - Monkey Island 2
2- The Secret of Monkey Island
3 - The Curse of Monkey Island
4 - Day of the Tentacle

5- Escape from Monkey Island
6 - Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
8- Full Throttle

Bottom Tier

9- Sam & Max: Hit the Road (I like the humour and the graphics/characters, and I played all the Telltale games, and even had the cartoon show on dvd, and a hardbook book, AND a baseball cap, but I don't really enjoy this game that much..)
10 - Grim Fandango (Dislike the puzzles, graphics and the tank controls. I know the controls are improved in the remaster)
11- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Love the humour, but I always found it too hard. Never finished it to this day.)
12- Maniac Mansion (Just too old, and scary!)
13- Loom (Find it hard to play nowadays with the flute thing.)
14- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (It's the action scenes, and those catacombs where I can never find the exit.)
15- The Dig (Yaaaawn.. boring. I don't like the puzzles.)

- Labyrinth (Never played it)

Joseph DiPerla

Top Tier

Zak Mckracken
Monkey Island 2
Day of the tentacle
Curse of Monkey Island

Middle tier
Monkey Island 1
Full Throttle
Indiana Jone Last Crusade
Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango
Maniac Mansion
Sam and Max

Lower tier
The Dig
Loom
Escape from Monkey Island
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

ManicMatt

I was under the impression more people like MI 1 than MI2, but so far MI2 and Day of the Tentacle are the only games we've all slotted into our top tiers.

Babar

And so many people putting Loom in the lowest tier! I hadn't realised how wrong some here were :tongue:
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

abstauber

I'm with you Babar, I absolutlely adore Loom. Most people might just find it too short and easy. Or they haven't played the CD-Rom version :)

Radiant

Top Tier:

• Loom
  • Monkey Island 1
  • Fate of Atlantis
  • Monkey Island 2
  • Maniac Mansion
Middle Tier:

• Grim Fandango
  • Zak Mckracken
  • Indiana Jone Last Crusade
  • Full Throttle
  • Day of the tentacle
Lower Tier:

• The Dig
  • Curse of Monkey Island
  • Escape from Monkey Island
  • Sam and Max

Privateer Puddin'

Top Tier:
Monkey Island 2
Curse of Monkey Island
Fate of Atlantis
Day of the tentacle

Middle Tier:
Monkey Island 1
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
Sam and Max

Lower Tier:
The Dig
Indiana Jones Last Crusade
Maniac Mansion
Loom
Zak Mckracken
Escape from Monkey Island

Gilbert

As the number of games I've played was limited my list is short.

Top Tier:
Loom
Day of the Tentacles

Middle Tier:
Monkey Island 1
Fate of Atlantis
The Dig
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Lower Tier:
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones Last Crusade
Maniac Mansion
Monkey Island 2

Seems that my opinions are quite different from most people.

One obvious departure is that IMO while the MI games are good, they are not great(having only played the first 2 games I don't know the rest). I just couldn't fully understand (maybe never will) why people often put them so high up in the list. It's possibly a cultural thing, that I don't know why western people are that into pirates, and that not many of the jokes are that funny to me (possibly due to me not understanding why they're funny, like... Monkey Wrench, which never sticks). To me, MI1 and MI2 are actually quite similar in fun level, but personally I don't like the muddy painting graphical style of the sequel, so I just put it into the lower tier. (Me being not a fan of monkeys may play a small role, too.)

Also, I understand why most people put Full Throttle higher up than The Dig (I think people had already explained clearly in the past), but personally I like The Dig more for its cinematic atmosphere and presentation. For FT, maybe it's because I'm not that much into rock and biker gangs, etc. (the FMV battles are also a factor that I do not like it much) but anyway this was the 1st Lucasfilm adventure game that I was able to complete all by my own, without asking other people or consulting a walkthrough.

ManicMatt

I was constantly looking up solutions for the dig, they really aren't the sort of puzzles I like.

Loom, I loved it back in the Amiga days. I played it recently, but it was the steam version which was the cdrom version i believe, and I couldn't work out what I was supposed to do after getting the flute stick thing. Then I found the instrument playing tedious as hell, so being stuck and hating the instrument, I didn't continue.
MI, yeah I love pirates, but I also love its humour. its right down my alley. Not the monkey wrench joke though, that's like the worst puzzle and joke in the whole two games, geeze! :P

Danvzare

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sun 02/12/2018 13:59:08
I was under the impression more people like MI 1 than MI2, but so far MI2 and Day of the Tentacle are the only games we've all slotted into our top tiers.
Well the problem I personally have with MI1, is that everything after you land on Monkey Island, is a little bit boring. Also there's the insult sword fighting which is only fun the first time around, and annoying all the other times. The story is also a bit too simple.
While MI2 has a much better story, a much better (yet confusing) ending, the whole game is fun (except maybe the dinky island bit and the monkey wrench puzzle), and I feel as though the whole game is funnier because of the extra history it's got from MI1 and how Guybrush has changed since then.
But that's an oversimplification from the top of my head, as to why I personally prefer MI2 over MI1. I'd have to spend a few days thinking about it to properly explain it.
I'd love to know other people's thoughts.

As for Day of the Tentacle. It was one of my first adventure games, along with Curse of Monkey Island, and Broken Sword 2. So I can't explain that one, since the rose-tinted glasses are welded onto my face.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 03/12/2018 16:52:05
As for Day of the Tentacle. It was one of my first adventure games, along with Curse of Monkey Island, and Broken Sword 2. So I can't explain that one, since the rose-tinted glasses are welded onto my face.

Being older than you, those three games are far from my first adventure game experiences, and when DoTT and Curse weren't released on the Amiga it killed me, but i simply couldn't afford a pc at the time.

So I played BS 1 and 2 on ps1, and loved them. (I still have them, even though I have the pc versions now too.)

eventually I got a pc and was able to play Dott and Curse, and they were worth the wait.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk