Bear in Venice (minigame)

Started by grizzlypants, Sun 16/12/2018 12:50:48

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlypants

Bear in Venice is a very short adventure game about a teddy bear's desire to ride a gondola.
I hesitate to call it a "real game", since it probably takes less than ten minutes to finish, but it's a completed game, so here it is.
This is my first game made with AGS, so it was a short practice project to begin with. It was a fun experience, and I'm writing a longer game at the moment.

Donwload here:
https://bestgames.itch.io/bear-in-venice

selmiak

Because you renamed the executable after compiling, winsetup searches for a bearinvenice.exe. You can change the filename in the AGS editor and recompile it though.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 16/12/2018 13:25:13You can change the filename in the AGS editor and recompile it though.
Not filename, but the project folder name! This is an undocumented "feature" in AGS Editor :), the name of exe it produces equals to the name of the game project folder.

grizzlypants

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 16/12/2018 13:39:40
Quote from: selmiak on Sun 16/12/2018 13:25:13You can change the filename in the AGS editor and recompile it though.
Not filename, but the project folder name! This is an undocumented "feature" in AGS Editor :), the name of exe it produces equals to the name of the game project folder.
Thanks, it should be fixed now!

CaptainD

Looks cute! Congrats on the release. :)

cat

Congrats on the release!

Quote from: grizzlypants on Sun 16/12/2018 12:50:48
I hesitate to call it a "real game", since it probably takes less than ten minutes to finish, but it's a completed game, so here it is.
Wait, there is a minimum length for a game to call it a real game? In this case quite a few of my games don't count :P

Creamy

Nice game. Perfect length for my lunch break. I hope the bear can swim :D

Kini

Congrats on your first AGS release  :)

It's a cute little game. The art is lovely.

I didn't experience any bugs or other issues, but here are a couple of ways in which I think you could've improved it slightly:

Spoiler
After the gondola guy has told the player what he's supposed to be doing, the dialog option should probably change from "But I really want to go!" to something like "What was it you needed again?"
[close]

Spoiler
I was able to stab the gondola guy before I knew why I was doing it. It might've been a good idea simply to have the bear say something like "Why would I do that?" until having spoken to the cop.
[close]

Anyway, those are minor points. I look forward to seeing more from you!

grizzlypants

Quote from: Kini on Fri 21/12/2018 11:23:17
I didn't experience any bugs or other issues, but here are a couple of ways in which I think you could've improved it slightly:
Yeah, those are good points. I'll definitely pay more attention to details like that when I'm working on my longer new game project, now I just couldn't wait to get my first game out there quickly.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

Blondbraid

While I agree with Kini's points, for a first time project you could certainly do a lot worse,
I could complete the game without any trouble and the graphics were really great!

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Laura Hunt

This was really cute! I would suggest implementing a volume control though, it's always nice to be able to change audio levels from inside the game. And locking the cursor inside the game window would also be a welcome addition (this should be the default behaviour in AGS imo, and not the other way around). Looking forward to the next one!

KyriakosCH

Much cute
many adventure
so bear
Wow  (nod)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk