Can I Expect Save Game Stability With a Small Patch?

Started by Bavolis, Thu 20/12/2018 03:12:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

I've fixed a walkthrough break in the Knobbly Crook, which was as simple as re-enabling a UI once you've exited a room. Since Steam will push an autoupdate once I patch - is there any chance this will not work with people's current save games? I know a lot of people are playing it right now and it would be pretty nasty of me to wipe out all their progress.

Click'd

You could put the patch on a beta branch for the brave. Or provide people with savegames if theirs break.

CaptainD

From my own (admittedly limited) experience with this, I think you'll probably be okay with a small patch as long as you haven't introduced any new ints / bools etc - probably the same goes for sprites, sound files etc.  At least that's what seems to have broken savegame comparability for me in the past.  Obviously keep a backup of your original version just in case!!

Khris

Yes, if all you did was add gGui.Visible = true; to an existing function, the savegames should work fine. It's even possible that adding an event function doesn't break savegames. What definitely does break them is anything concerned with storing the game's state.
Some people like to declare some spare variables in case they need them for patching things later.

Bavolis

cat

Quote from: Khris on Thu 20/12/2018 12:00:04
Some people like to declare some spare variables in case they need them for patching things later.
That's an excellent advice, I never thought about that.

selmiak

how would you do that? Global variables? Or 5 variables per room? can you change their names without breaking anything?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 20/12/2018 20:51:27
how would you do that? Global variables? Or 5 variables per room? can you change their names without breaking anything?

Only size and the order of declaration in script matters.
Declare a global array of 1000 ints, and then keep subtracting them and adding as distinct variables of same size nearby.

Dave Gilbert also said that they add extra characters etc to use as reserve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk