This City at Night

Started by Shadow1000, Tue 25/12/2018 03:25:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

I'm stuck on what's probably the first puzzle...

Spoiler
I'm in the church doing the slider puzzle on the statue of Mary. I know that the chips in the stones on the puzzle correspond to the chips in the inscription under the crucifix, but I can't come up with any connection. For example, in the inscription, the E, U and S there is a chip so I thought I'd use those chipped letters but that kind of thinking doesn't carry across to the other rows, especially when some of them have cracks rather than chips, etc. I don't see any way to figure out what the goal is.

I have also noted that the blocks with the I II I on the lion mosaic is the same shape as the slider puzzle. I don't get that clue at all.
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 25/12/2018 03:25:01
I'm stuck on what's probably the first puzzle...

Spoiler
I'm in the church doing the slider puzzle on the statue of Mary. I know that the chips in the stones on the puzzle correspond to the chips in the inscription under the crucifix, but I can't come up with any connection. For example, in the inscription, the E, U and S there is a chip so I thought I'd use those chipped letters but that kind of thinking doesn't carry across to the other rows, especially when some of them have cracks rather than chips, etc. I don't see any way to figure out what the goal is.

I have also noted that the blocks with the I II I on the lion mosaic is the same shape as the slider puzzle. I don't get that clue at all.
[close]

Hints:

The biggest clue is in the
Spoiler
inscription below the crucifix
[close]
. The
Spoiler
mosaic
[close]
only gives you more general help.

Spoiler
The shape of the damage to the tiles doesn't match up, as you've seen. It's where the damage to the tiles is that tells you where they should go.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: paolo on Wed 26/12/2018 06:41:41

The biggest clue is in the
Spoiler
inscription below the crucifix
[close]
. The
Spoiler
mosaic
[close]
only gives you more general help.

Spoiler
The shape of the damage to the tiles doesn't match up, as you've seen. It's where the damage to the tiles is that tells you where they should go.
[close]

Spoiler
So, I thought of that. I took the approach that I'd see if the chip is on the top, bottom, right, and so on. But that does not give a complete solution either

For example: in the top row of the inscription the letter S appears twice, one intact and one with a chip on the top centre. So, which S do I use in the top row of the slider?
The second row has a U with a chip in the left centre. No such letter U in the slider unless a crack is the same as a chip? But if so, then that changes the approach to row 1

In short, the clue is ambiguous unless I'm missing something. Normally I'd guess but in this case, it's taking me 30 - 45 minutes to solve the slider EVERY TIME and I've already spent probably close to an hour an a half sliding blocks around.

[close]

Thank you

marko33

use the looking glass on the letters
Spoiler
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: marko33 on Thu 27/12/2018 12:20:51
use the looking glass on the letters
Spoiler
[close]

That gives the same hint that Paulo gave, which I saw already. My problem is that it's too vague to actually use to solve, and the slider puzzle could take hours unless you know exactly what you are after.

Thank you

paolo

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 26/12/2018 15:17:28
Spoiler
So, I thought of that. I took the approach that I'd see if the chip is on the top, bottom, right, and so on. But that does not give a complete solution either

For example: in the top row of the inscription the letter S appears twice, one intact and one with a chip on the top centre. So, which S do I use in the top row of the slider?
The second row has a U with a chip in the left centre. No such letter U in the slider unless a crack is the same as a chip? But if so, then that changes the approach to row 1

In short, the clue is ambiguous unless I'm missing something. Normally I'd guess but in this case, it's taking me 30 - 45 minutes to solve the slider EVERY TIME and I've already spent probably close to an hour an a half sliding blocks around.

[close]

Thank you

A more detailed explanation:

Spoiler
Pay attention to the chipped tiles only. The undamaged ones are not important because there is only one place each of them can go.

For example, in the top row of the inscription, the E tile is chipped at the top, and in the bottom row, the E tiles are chipped at the bottom. That tells you in which rows of the puzzle to put the two E tiles, which are similarly damaged.

Use the same idea with the other damaged tiles, and there will then be only one possible solution.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: paolo on Sat 29/12/2018 08:12:04
Spoiler

[close]

Thank you

Spoiler
Pay attention to the chipped tiles only. The undamaged ones are not important because there is only one place each of them can go.

For example, in the top row of the inscription, the E tile is chipped at the top, and in the bottom row, the E tiles are chipped at the bottom. That tells you in which rows of the puzzle to put the two E tiles, which are similarly damaged.

Use the same idea with the other damaged tiles, and there will then be only one possible solution.
[close]

That doesn't really help.

Spoiler

Thanks for the explanation for the E.

I've probably spent over 4 hours on the slider puzzle. Part because completing the slider puzzle takes between 30-45 minutes each time and part because the solution is really not clear so each time is really mainly a guess.

For example, the inscription has the S in the second row with a chip on part of the letter S. There is no such chipped S on the slider puzzle. There is only one with a chip on the bottom so those obviously cannot correspond to each other. The letter U on the top has some mark on the left but sitting and staring at it, I have no idea if that is just a line or a chip, the one in the centre row has one on the right centre but nothing like that exists in the slider puzzle. I don't know if the cracks are supposed to represent a chip or not, as in the last time I asked.

My latest guess is this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5cl62hmyhtgzjy/0.jpg?dl=0

If I reverse the U and N in the second row, is that the solution? If so, can you suggest how to do that?
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 30/12/2018 04:26:20
Quote from: paolo on Sat 29/12/2018 08:12:04
Spoiler

[close]

Thank you

Spoiler

[close]

That doesn't really help.

Spoiler

Thanks for the explanation for the E.

I've probably spent over 4 hours on the slider puzzle. Part because completing the slider puzzle takes between 30-45 minutes each time and part because the solution is really not clear so each time is really mainly a guess.

For example, the inscription has the S in the second row with a chip on part of the letter S. There is no such chipped S on the slider puzzle. There is only one with a chip on the bottom so those obviously cannot correspond to each other. The letter U on the top has some mark on the left but sitting and staring at it, I have no idea if that is just a line or a chip, the one in the centre row has one on the right centre but nothing like that exists in the slider puzzle. I don't know if the cracks are supposed to represent a chip or not, as in the last time I asked.

My latest guess is this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5cl62hmyhtgzjy/0.jpg?dl=0

If I reverse the U and N in the second row, is that the solution? If so, can you suggest how to do that?
[close]

Sorry you've struggled with this puzzle. It's one of the hardest in the game, so I hope you'll play on once you get past this one.

Summary of what is needed:

Spoiler
Top row: damage at the tops of the tiles. Bottom row: damage at the bottoms of the tiles. Middle row: damage in the middles of the tiles (chips in the inscription; cracks in the puzzle), although once you know that the tiles with chips on them go in the top and bottom rows, there's nowhere else for the remaining N, U and S to go other than in the middle row.
[close]

So, to solve the puzzle starting from where you are now:

Spoiler
The only thing left to do other than swapping the N and the U is to swap the S's in the middle and bottom rows.
[close]

And something that will save you time:

Spoiler
Quidet mentions she had a puzzle like this and it was easier to solve once she'd worked out how to take the pieces out.
[close]

Spoiler
There is a way you can do just that using something in the church.
[close]

Shadow1000

Sorry you've struggled with this puzzle. It's one of the hardest in the game, so I hope you'll play on once you get past this one.

Summary of what is needed:

Spoiler
Top row: damage at the tops of the tiles. Bottom row: damage at the bottoms of the tiles. Middle row: damage in the middles of the tiles (chips in the inscription; cracks in the puzzle), although once you know that the tiles with chips on them go in the top and bottom rows, there's nowhere else for the remaining N, U and S to go other than in the middle row.
[close]

So, to solve the puzzle starting from where you are now:

Spoiler
The only thing left to do other than swapping the N and the U is to swap the S's in the middle and bottom rows.
[close]

And something that will save you time:

Spoiler
Quidet mentions she had a puzzle like this and it was easier to solve once she'd worked out how to take the pieces out.
[close]

Spoiler
There is a way you can do just that using something in the church.
[close]

Thank you, I was able to continue. I don't know how many people would get that, realistically.
Spoiler
I wasn't just looking at the horizontal position; I was considering vertical as well. In addition, it was ambiguous whether cracks are the same as chips or not
[close]

Vincent

I am playing this right now and I deeply like the atmosphere of the game! I am still at the beginning by now, I inspected the computer and was able to enter the right password, I got all the information in time fortunately. Then something happened to me:

Spoiler

As soon as I learned all the informations a few seconds before the man entered I opened the inventory. I heard the sound of the door opening but the game got stuck on the open inventory and didn't allow me to close it or to do anything. Fortunately I made a save before interacting on the computer!
[close]

Now let's get back to playing this game is really intriguing!  8-)

EDIT:
Spoiler

I have reached the first puzzle about the statue of Mary at the church. I was able to put the word "Deus Bonus Est" but nothing happened. I think I should investigate more here.
However when I was inside the puzzle I had the inventory opened:

When I clicked on the exit button with the inventory open, the character returned to the previous room but I couldn't do anything because the cursor had disappeared.
[close]

EDIT2:
Spoiler

I can take a tile from the puzzle now:

But if I click to the exit hotspot while I still have the tile selected when I enter the puzzle again the tile is disappear forever.
[close]

paolo

Thanks, Vincent. You have found several bugs that neither I nor my beta-testers did! I hope they haven't spoiled your enjoyment. Good job you had saved the game.

I will add these to the list of things to fix for the next version.

Vincent

Quote from: paolo on Fri 28/06/2019 14:00:19
Thanks, Vincent. You have found several bugs that neither I nor my beta-testers did! I hope they haven't spoiled your enjoyment. Good job you had saved the game.

I will add these to the list of things to fix for the next version.

You are welcome, I'm having a great time playing this game. I got stuck in a locked room:
Spoiler

In the inventory I have scissors, a candlestick and a ruler. I assume I have to do something with the bed and the spring but I don't know what.
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Vincent on Fri 28/06/2019 19:32:31
Quote from: paolo on Fri 28/06/2019 14:00:19
I got stuck in a locked room:
Spoiler

In the inventory I have scissors, a candlestick and a ruler. I assume I have to do something with the bed and the spring but I don't know what.
[close]

You have everything you need. Try using these items on things in the room.

Vincent

Quote from: paolo on Fri 28/06/2019 20:06:46

Spoiler

That's what I've been trying to do for over an hour by now, it seems like I have been missed something obvious.  :)
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Vincent on Fri 28/06/2019 21:05:00
Quote from: paolo on Fri 28/06/2019 20:06:46

Spoiler

That's what I've been trying to do for over an hour by now, it seems like I have been missed something obvious.  :)
[close]

The way out is
Spoiler
through the door. Inspect it closely. There is something you have probably missed.
[close]

Vincent

Quote from: paolo on Sat 29/06/2019 08:39:31
The way out is
Spoiler
through the door. Inspect it closely. There is something you have probably missed.
[close]

Thank you very much for the suggestion! ;)

Jigen Daisuke

Hi Paolo!
Nice game  :-D

Spoiler
I'm stuck in the dark room searching for my mobile phone... I think I've inspected all and try to use the 3 objects I have (ruler, scissors, candlestick) on all hotspots
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Jigen Daisuke on Wed 03/07/2019 07:57:05
Hi Paolo!
Nice game  :-D

Spoiler
I'm stuck in the dark room searching for my mobile phone... I think I've inspected all and try to use the 3 objects I have (ruler, scissors, candlestick) on all hotspots
[close]

Thank you.
Spoiler

Last time you were here, you came across something that will help you now, but you didn't need it, so you didn't take it. Interact with some things in the room.
[close]

Jigen Daisuke

Spoiler
I managed to find the light button! LOL (laugh)  Unfortunately I'm not able to locate the cell phone battery...
[close]

paolo

Quote from: Jigen Daisuke on Wed 03/07/2019 11:54:18

Spoiler
I managed to find the light button! LOL (laugh)  Unfortunately I'm not able to locate the cell phone battery...
[close]

It's there somewhere. Keep looking around the room.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk