Server migration + site 'upgrade'

Started by AGA, Sun 30/12/2018 23:02:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi just first off all i would like to say thanks to ags for the many improvements and the time hes put in, not least since it was over the holiday season for him too. However I am thoroughly not happy at all with the issue of content from my server not being able to display on the forum anymore. I realize why, but I cannot afford to upgrade or change my server,  i simply am not in a position to change my server around since i have other sites on my hosting package.   I find this very disappointing not least since I have no issues whatsoever displaying my server content on other forums and social networking platforms that are far more modern then this forum platform.

I feel so strongly about this that I feel like leaving the forum now if its a case exceptions for people with known servers and are genuine people known to the forum cannot be made without people having to turn their servers upside down and pay money to accommodate the change on this one forum.

Just to be clear I understand the time and work gone into the improvements, and appreciate that, however this issue with blocking servers from known members is a step too far for me.

AGA

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 31/12/2018 15:57:32
Hi just first off all i would like to say thanks to ags for the many improvements and the time hes put in, not least since it was over the holiday season for him too. However I am thoroughly not happy at all with the issue of content from my server not being able to display on the forum anymore. I realize why, but I cannot afford to upgrade or change my server,  i simply am not in a position to change my server around since i have other sites on my hosting package.   I find this very disappointing not least since I have no issues whatsoever displaying my server content on other forums and social networking platforms that are far more modern then this forum platform.

I feel so strongly about this that I feel like leaving the forum now if its a case exceptions for people with known servers and are genuine people known to the forum cannot be made without people having to turn their servers upside down and pay money to accommodate the change on this one forum.

Just to be clear I understand the time and work gone into the improvements, and appreciate that, however this issue with blocking servers from known members is a step too far for me.

As discussed on Discord, I've turned the proxy off for the time being.  We really should be moving towards full HTTPS hosting as soon as possible though.

Cassiebsg

AGA, is it possible to turn all imgur pics into https? Since they already are. I changed my avatar and sig image on my own, but I won't go through the site, find all my posts and change the pics.
Think it would at least me safe to to this for imgur... maybe other pic sites are providing the same url for http and https? I only know imgur does it, so that is an easy "fix".

How ever the way it is know, most threads are broken, since it won't display non https images... Could one add automaticly something like a "spoiler" tag? Showing the link to a non-http image instead of just displaying nothing?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

as written on discord, my idea for a compromise to all the legacy image in the forum that survived would be to screw the proxy and somehow have the forum not accept insecure images from now on, maybe with a regex check on http: * [.jpg|.png|.bmp|.gif] but I suck at writing regex.

a minor thing is, the forum spoiler button no longer has the crossed eye image.

Cassiebsg

I always type my code... I think typing [ hide ] and a lot easier than [ spoiler ]  :P
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi again,  look I feel really bad now, and I don't think I was very fair jumping on this so quickly,  tbh I was already in a bit of a funny mood anyway and the forum change with respect the image posting just took me a bit off kilter there. On thinking about it more with a calmer head I realize that AGA has done everything right, its only inevitable that this would be done anyway, its progress, and no amount of inconvenience has the right to stand in the way of valid and important progress.

So on that note I am very sorry for taking such issue over this.  Ok sure there's a whole bunch of images I posted going back a year or more that are broken on page, but they can be fixed one by one, and from now on I will just make sure to post up on imgur,  so no damage done really.

Thanks again for the time and work put in aga and whoever is helping in the background, I guess there might not even be a forum without you folks.

Traveler

The wiki link is broken again - it returns 404.

TheFrighter

Uhm, the Search finds very little issue.

_

paolo

Looks nice, and the new server seems to be faster. Good work, guys.

I'm having trouble updating my game page: I get a load of warnings and errors when I click "Update" (see below). I suspect this is due to the migration as it wasn't happening before.

Warning: unlink(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png): Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2372
Could not delete image 1: /home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpyNvSSK' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Could not save file as : /home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png.
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_2.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpv2tgA6' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_2.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Could not save file as : /home/ags/html//images/games/2313_2.png.
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpL3eMTt' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Could not save file as : /home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png.Database query G.37.11 error: Column 'dl_url_agsa' cannot be null

AGA

Quote from: paolo on Tue 01/01/2019 12:59:19

I'm having trouble updating my game page: I get a load of warnings and errors when I click "Update" (see below). I suspect this is due to the migration as it wasn't happening before.

Warning: unlink(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png): Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2372

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpyNvSSK' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_1.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_2.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpv2tgA6' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_2.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpL3eMTt' to '/home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png' in /home/ags/html/pages/game.php on line 2397
Could not save file as : /home/ags/html//images/games/2313_3.png.Database query G.37.11 error: Column 'dl_url_agsa' cannot be null

This is probably fixed now.  Please try again!

paolo

Quote from: AGA on Tue 01/01/2019 16:37:29
Quote from: paolo on Tue 01/01/2019 12:59:19

This is probably fixed now.  Please try again!

Thanks. Much better, although I get this error now (I filled in all compulsory fields):

Database query G.37.11 error: Column 'website_url' cannot be null

AGA

Game images and thumbnails should all be working as expected now.  As should the wiki.

Quote from: paolo on Tue 01/01/2019 16:56:16
Thanks. Much better, although I get this error now (I filled in all compulsory fields):

Try again?  We might have to go back and forth a few times with this until I can get the database configuration working perfectly!

paolo

Quote from: AGA on Tue 01/01/2019 17:46:24
Game images and thumbnails should all be working as expected now.  As should the wiki.

Quote from: paolo on Tue 01/01/2019 16:56:16

Try again?  We might have to go back and forth a few times with this until I can get the database configuration working perfectly!

All good this time. Thanks!

CaptainD

AGA, I just want to say thanks for all your hard work doing the upgrade and sorting out issues - I'm sure the entire community is with me on this  :cheesy:

Monsieur OUXX

Great job!

One thing: the "download AGS" button here used to be twice bigger? Now it's rather small (it has like zero padding) and has a light color, as if it was disabled.

I'd suggest make it wayyyy more visible.

AGA

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 02/01/2019 18:07:06
Great job!

One thing: the "download AGS" button here used to be twice bigger? Now it's rather small (it has like zero padding) and has a light color, as if it was disabled.

I'd suggest make it wayyyy more visible.

The reason for that is I have changed the old image based buttons to be dynamic, which means I'll be able to use them to do more dynamic, context based stuff.  I can't have gradiants or complex colours if I do that, so the button now looks flatter.  The text also has to be a standard, off the shelf font for the same reason.  If someone can do a design that meets those requirements, but looks better, I'd be happy to use it.

cat

Quote from: AGA on Mon 31/12/2018 14:16:08
Quote from: cat on Mon 31/12/2018 14:11:19
The Member Map seems to link to the old one and terribly out of date. I'd remove it completely.

The map linked to on the forums (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=googlemap) is definitely up to date... How do you define "the old one"?  I think it may be the style changed slightly, but it's definitely using up to date information, and the latest Google Maps API.

In your profile page, the marker is in Rotterdam. But you are not shown on the member map there. If this member map requires to be updated separately by each member, I think it's quite useless. Either use the locations from the user profile or remove the link to the map.

AGA

Quote from: cat on Wed 02/01/2019 18:26:00
Quote from: AGA on Mon 31/12/2018 14:16:08
Quote from: cat on Mon 31/12/2018 14:11:19
The Member Map seems to link to the old one and terribly out of date. I'd remove it completely.

The map linked to on the forums (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=googlemap) is definitely up to date... How do you define "the old one"?  I think it may be the style changed slightly, but it's definitely using up to date information, and the latest Google Maps API.

In your profile page, the marker is in Rotterdam. But you are not shown on the member map there. If this member map requires to be updated separately by each member, I think it's quite useless. Either use the locations from the user profile or remove the link to the map.

Ahhh.  Turns out there was a max 250 pins per map option.  So every page load it would pick 250 random members to show.  Sometimes I was included, sometimes not!  I've raised the limit now, and I'm visible without fail.

cat

Hobbes

Things seem to be running smoothly as far as I can see. Some issues earlier today, but they seem to be fixed. Thank you for all your time & effort in keeping this little part of the internet in good working order!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk