MAGS January “Crossover” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/01/2019 02:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS January?

Alice in Maniacland by Dog Rat
3 (21.4%)
Ego in Planet of the Apes by Durq
5 (35.7%)
Space Cross: The BSG Team by Cassiebsg
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/02/2019 01:56:06

VampireWombat

Quote from: Dog Rat on Thu 10/01/2019 14:11:18
I know I probably won't make it in time as I'll be very busy the next two weeks, but just to be sure, it's okay to use resources downloaded from here, right?
The last line says "Of course, all publically available assets can be used at any time." So I'd say yeah. As long as you stick within any MMM rules it should be no problem.
If you need any help being able to complete your game, feel free to message me. If you need characters made, a couple of animations, a couple of backgrounds, or grunt work level coding. I'd even be willing to convert MMM assets to the Tumbleweed template.

Dog Rat

Hmmm, didn't know there were rules to follow about the MMM world, I'll check that out.
Thanks both for your answers!
I'll keep in mind your offering VampireWombat, I'm super bad at drawing and wouldn't mind getting some help for the (only) background I did for this game.

Edit: oh, BTW, I'm trying to crossover MM with Alice in Wonderland.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Dog Rat on Thu 10/01/2019 16:20:53
Hmmm, didn't know there were rules to follow about the MMM world, I'll check that out.
Thanks both for your answers!
I'll keep in mind your offering VampireWombat, I'm super bad at drawing and wouldn't mind getting some help for the (only) background I did for this game.

Edit: oh, BTW, I'm trying to crossover MM with Alice in Wonderland.
I'm not sure if there are any rules beyond not trying to sell games.

Well, if you need any Alice in Wonderland characters, backgrounds , or items made into MMM style, let me know.

Stupot

We're halfway (and a bit) through the month. How are things looking? Are we heading for Dry January?

Maniac Mansion / Alice in Wonderland sounds insane.

Blondbraid

I was toying with the idea of making an entry, but since more than half the month has passed and all I have are three unfinished backrounds and I haven't even started on any game yet,
I'll save my time and energy for a better future project this month, but I hope  there'll be some good entries from you others.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 17/01/2019 23:26:56
I was toying with the idea of making an entry, but since more than half the month has passed and all I have are three unfinished backrounds and I haven't even started on any game yet,
I'll save my time and energy for a better future project this month, but I hope  there'll be some good entries from you others.
How sad, I was curious of an historical crossover! But please consider in future a game about  the Prester John, Blondbraid!  :-*

_

VampireWombat

Well, I can say that Dog Rat's game is doing better than my own. I still have to finish a walk cycle for my game and figure out the specific locations, npcs, etc. The general setting is going to be San Antonio in either the 20s or early 30s. And I did make a targeting gui yesterday so everyone in the game will be able to be shot. Not that there's any particular reason to shoot anyone as of yet. But the first Carnacki story has him using a pistol, so I'm incuding it...

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighther on Fri 18/01/2019 08:58:56
How sad, I was curious of an historical crossover! But please consider in future a game about  the Prester John, Blondbraid!  :-*
_
I'm glad it piqued your interest, maybe in a future MAGS entry.

Slasher

Hi

After 15 straight months I will be concentrating my time to Maelstrom Obscura (https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56767.0), which I'm hoping to go Kickstarter...

I am really looking forward to the games this month, should be a hoot  (laugh)

Slasher

VampireWombat

Well, it will certainly be interesting since it seems like only 2 games are being made this month.
I have at least narrowed down my game to being sometime in the 20s and have some specific locations in San Antonio in mind. Unfortunately I can't find enough reference to be accurate, so I'm going to have to do an amalgam using similar places that I can find the reference for. So, I'll finally be starting backgrounds today.

Durq

I plan to submit a two-room "game" tentatively titled Roger in Planet of the Apes.

Slasher

Quote from: Durq on Mon 21/01/2019 16:07:09
I plan to submit a two-room "game" tentatively titled Roger in Planet of the Apes.
Awww, what a combination  (laugh)

Durq

If anyone wants to test something silly and tasteless with profanity and crude "humor", please send me a message. It is short (two rooms) and should be easy.

VampireWombat

So... How's everyone doing?
Migraines means that I've been able to do less than planned. It looks like I'm going to have to "cheat" and use Display commands to fill in gaps I don't have time to properly do. But luckily being long winded is in character for Carnacki.

Dog Rat

I'm almost almost there. I'm just rechecking everything, adding interactions and that kind of things. I'll upload it tomorrow for sure.

Durq

I'm pretty much finished, just trying to add in a couple little animations.

Dog Rat

Well, this is it, hope it works fine. Alice in Wonderland and Maniac Mansion crossover. Had to cut a few things and, unfortunately, it's not as "zany" as I would liked it to be, but, oh, well, what MAGS game doesn't end up with less content than originally planned after all.
Many thanks to VampireWombat who did a lot of the art, specially all the Alice sprites and walk-cycles (I'm terrible at it), and also gave me cool advices for the coding part.

Alice in Maniacland

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/rnjEsjC.png[/imgzoom]

Download link

I hope you all like it. It's pretty short but there are different ways to complete the game, each one with a different ending, so try to get them all!

Durq

Quote from: Dog Rat on Wed 30/01/2019 14:48:57
Well, this is it, hope it works fine. Alice in Wonderland and Maniac Mansion crossover. Had to cut a few things and, unfortunately, it's not as "zany" as I would liked it to be, but, oh, well, what MAGS game doesn't end up with less content than originally planned after all.
Many thanks to VampireWombat who did a lot of the art, specially all the Alice sprites and walk-cycles (I'm terrible at it), and also gave me cool advices for the coding part.

I hope you all like it. It's pretty short but there are different ways to complete the game, each one with a different ending, so try to get them all!

I just played through Alice in Maniacland. The title is great, and I like how the title screen looks.

Spoiler
Being able to switch from tiny to monstrous is a fun idea and a great game mechanic. The Cheshire Cat animation is cool, and he has fun dialogue. I got thrown in a cell at the end. I'm curious to know what the other endings are.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Durq on Wed 30/01/2019 17:25:21
Quote from: Dog Rat on Wed 30/01/2019 14:48:57

I just played through Alice in Maniacland. The title is great, and I like how the title screen looks.

Spoiler
Being able to switch from tiny to monstrous is a fun idea and a great game mechanic. The Cheshire Cat animation is cool, and he has fun dialogue. I got thrown in a cell at the end. I'm curious to know what the other endings are.
[close]

I couldn't figure out what was going on
Spoiler
once I finally got into the house, Alice hid, the kids came in, there were some weird noises and game over with no explanation. Another thing I tried doing was going left when the guy answers the door but then Alice disappears.
[close]
. Is that supposed to happen?

Durq

Ego in Planet of the Apes is a short and tasteless point-and-click adventure with profanity, sexual "jokes", and crude "humor".

Download at https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2324/

Thanks to Crimson Wizard, Slasher, and others who answered my beginner technical questions.

Feedback and bug reports are welcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk