MAGS January “Crossover” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/01/2019 02:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS January?

Alice in Maniacland by Dog Rat
3 (21.4%)
Ego in Planet of the Apes by Durq
5 (35.7%)
Space Cross: The BSG Team by Cassiebsg
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Fri 15/02/2019 01:56:06

Dog Rat

Quote from: Durq on Wed 30/01/2019 17:25:21
I just played through Alice in Maniacland. The title is great, and I like how the title screen looks.
Spoiler
Being able to switch from tiny to monstrous is a fun idea and a great game mechanic. The Cheshire Cat animation is cool, and he has fun dialogue. I got thrown in a cell at the end. I'm curious to know what the other endings are.
[close]
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it.
Spoiler
I thought the switching of size was a good workaround to the lack of multiple playable characters of MM.
[close]
Will try your game soon!

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Thu 31/01/2019 00:30:56
I couldn't figure out what was going on
Spoiler
once I finally got into the house, Alice hid, the kids came in, there were some weird noises and game over with no explanation. Another thing I tried doing was going left when the guy answers the door but then Alice disappears.
[close]
. Is that supposed to happen?
Spoiler
Well, I'm not really sure about the weird noises, I don't remember putting any sound there, so I should check it. But yes, you got the most unsatisfying ending and the one that involved less puzzle solving, so if you want it, you might explore a little more to see if you find another way in. The end game is kind of abrupt, that's for sure.
[close]

VampireWombat

With the upcoming deadline so soon, I definitely can't make my game fully playable. I now have to decide if I should make it a preview, make it as playable as I can, or just drop out completely.

Adeel

You can also ask to extend the deadline. People usually don't mind...

VampireWombat

Given the number of times I failed to finish something after an extension, not going to ask.
I think I can still salvage it to be somewhat playable in the next 2 hours if I completely cut out any walk cycles...

Cassiebsg

****CRASH bOOMM******

Coming from outer space a small craft crash lands...

Space Cross: The BSG-Team
by Sandra T. Almeida & Morgan E. Willcok

About this game
Starbuck's crash of the week takes him to a planet where he meets some odd people. Take control while he tries to fix his viper and return to the fleet.

Mags entry under the theme: Crossover
Game res: 960x600 32bit Full color!
Download link: Mediafire | Mirror link: Dropbox

AGS BD entry link: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2325/

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

The contest is now over and voting begins.
Please vote using the poll above.

Space Cross: The BSG-Team
by Cassiebsg and Morganw

Cassiebsg

I can't open Alice in Maniacland by Dog Rat... I get an error in the rar file. Can I get a zip file instead?

EDIT: I've gotten a zip for the game from morganw.

Dog Rat

Ok, so there must be something wrong with my RAR files, I had a similar problem when sending some game files to VampireWombat some days ago, maybe some compatibility issue, I don't know.
I will try to upload a zip file when I get home tonight, in case of anyone having the same problem.

Cassiebsg

Well, there are people that have downloaded an unpacked it. Maybe my winrar just got too old and you are raring it with a newer version that is incompatible or something like that.
It's not the 1st time I have had problems with rar files. Last time was Slasher's game.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 01/02/2019 17:04:39
Well, there are people that have downloaded an unpacked it. Maybe my winrar just got too old and you are raring it with a newer version that is incompatible or something like that.
It's not the 1st time I have had problems with rar files. Last time was Slasher's game.

I use 7Zip. It's free and works great with RAR files. I didn't have a problem unpacking Alice.

Cassiebsg

I also have 7zip installed and that one also complained about the file being damaged.  :-\

VampireWombat

The Ubuntu Archive Manager also complains about the file being damaged. But using P7Zip Desktop seemed to have worked.

Shadow1000

Umm...what if we just say that the first puzzle of the Alice game is getting it running?  :-D

Dog Rat

Haha, after the success of "It's not a bug, it's a feature", we have the new version: "It's not a damaged file, it's a puzzle." Maybe I should include the software to open it in the walkthrough. (laugh)

EDIT: okay, if you had troubles with the RAR version, I have now uploaded the game in a zip file. You can download it from HERE.

Shadow1000

Looks like I'm the first to comment on the three entries!

Here I go....

Spoiler
Crossing Alice with Manic Mansion is BRILLIANT! I loved the puzzles and really enjoyed the graphics. I liked how the puzzles revolved around the character's ability to change her size. Multiple endings is a nice bonus for a MAGS game. My only downside to this game is that there is essentially one task that SHOULD be the beginning  of the game but it really is the end :( I played all the endings and they really are abrupt, even with the time constraints of a MAGS entry
[close]

Spoiler
Um. Not much to comment, really...
[close]

Space Cross: The BSG Team by Cassiebsg
Spoiler
AWESOME graphics and I think they are new for this game rather than reused from a previous game? With Cassie, you can expect that one of the themes in the crossover will be BSG :) I am not going to mention what it's crossed with just in case someone's reading this without playing the game first, BUT I will say that I had a LOT of laughs from the game and was not expecting that! Puzzles were on the simple side so the strength of this game is the graphics and the idea of the themes being crossed as well as the humour
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Space Cross
[close]
I feel that it was the most well-rounded from beginning to end and my overall enjoyment playing the game was with this entry.

Well done!

Cassiebsg

To be fair, I re-used Starbuck from my previous game... only had to render a new speech animation for him (which turned out to be harder that it sounds  (roll)) since in the previous game he had portrait speech.  ;)

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :-D

Mandle

And I was so sure this sentence had never been expressed before... but...

Here it is!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 03/02/2019 15:15:09
To be fair, I re-used Starbuck from my previous game... only had to render a new speech animation for him (which turned out to be harder that it sounds  (roll)) since in the previous game he had portrait speech.  ;)

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :-D

Ok what about the other characters and backgrounds? (I was mainly referring to the beautiful 3D backgrounds)

I forgot to add that the use of playing multiple characters was a nice bonus to me!

Cassiebsg

Those were made from scratch, yes.  (nod)
Also there are 3 extra npcs in the source that we didn't got to plug, and I also had the last member of the team, but he ended up cut due to time restrains.

selmiak

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk