[Feature Suggestion] Module Manager

Started by artium, Thu 03/01/2019 20:48:06

Previous topic - Next topic

artium

I noticed that there are many modules in the module's section of the forum. Some can substantially enhance a game with little effort. The problem is that there is no convenient way to "shop" for modules and many users are not aware that something really useful can be in hand's reach.

Many game engines and software in general has plugin managers built in.

If something like this would exist for AGS, it would look like a a in-editor form that pulls a list of modules from the server along with links, version, description, screenshots and maybe even user rating. With a press of button, the selected module will be added into the game itself.

What do you think, could the community benefit from something like this?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: artium on Thu 03/01/2019 20:48:06
What do you think, could the community benefit from something like this?

Yes, definitely.

eri0o

Hey Artium, I started to manually get the metadata for trying to build an index.

The AGS Module Index

my idea would be having an .scm packed along with an .ini file with metadata in an open repository. These ini files would be globed into a .json index and the search index would be provided by lunr. It's all a rough idea, but if you want to jump in. :)

selmiak

the tween module should come with every install of AGS or somehow get integrated into AGS.

Slasher

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 03/01/2019 23:41:11
the tween module should come with every install of AGS or somehow get integrated into AGS.
And quite a few others like PPC and SpeechBubble....

artium

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 03/01/2019 22:34:19
Hey Artium, I started to manually get the metadata for trying to build an index.

The AGS Module Index

my idea would be having an .scm packed along with an .ini file with metadata in an open repository. These ini files would be globed into a .json index and the search index would be provided by lunr. It's all a rough idea, but if you want to jump in. :)

Add a feature to import modules directly to your game and that is exactly how I imagined it would look like.

What kind of help do you need?

eri0o

I noticed I never answered this.  8-0 I need help just adding the missing modules to the list on the website, be through Pull Request or writing requests for missing/non updated modules on the issue tracker.

eri0o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk