AGS Awards 2018 - Results!

Started by cat, Sat 05/01/2019 13:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2018. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!

Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

Results!

Thanks to everyone who played the nominated games and voted.

Here are the winners:

Best Game Created with AGS
Unavowed

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
The Knobbly Crook

Best Puzzles 
Lamplight City/The Clockwork Labyrinth

Best Short Game
Tales From The Outer Zone: Cyborg Seppuku

Best Writing
Lamplight City

Best Background Art
The Knobbly Crook

Best Gameplay
Unavowed

Best Character Art
Detective Gallo

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
The Rat Pack (MAGS version)

Best Music & Sound
Football Game

Best Character
Miles Fordham from Lamplight City

Best Programming
Unavowed

Best Animation
Lamplight City

Best Voice Work
Unavowed

Best Demo
Echo in the Clouds (Demo)

Best Innovation
Snarky - For his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules

Lifetime Achievement
Stupot - For his efforts as a MAGS host

The nominated games:

Spoiler
Best Game Created with AGS   
Detective Gallo   
Football Game   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Adventure: Welcome to the Genre
Commissar's Contrapasso
The Knobbly Crook
The Shaft

Best Writing   
Commissar's Contrapasso   
Football Game   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed

Best Character   
Detective Gallo from Detective Gallo   
Miles Fordham from Lamplight City   
The Commissar from Commissar's Contrapasso   

Best Gameplay   
Commissar's Contrapasso   
Football Game   
Lamplight City   
Unavowed   
Wilfred:2088 [MAGS Feb. 2018]   

Best Puzzles 
Lamplight City   
The Clockwork Labyrinth   
Unavowed   

Best Background Art   
Commissar's Contrapasso   
Detective Gallo   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed   

Best Character Art   
Commissar's Contrapasso   
Detective Gallo   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed   

Best Animation   
Commissar's Contrapasso   
Detective Gallo   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed   

Best Music & Sound   
Detective Gallo   
Football Game   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed   

Best Voice Work   
Detective Gallo   
Lamplight City   
The Knobbly Crook   
Unavowed   

Best Demo   

Echo in the Clouds (Demo)   
Subterra (DEMO)   

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS   
BlindSweeper   
Lab Rat Maze!   
Racist [MAGS]   
Space Tunneler Deluxe   
The Rat Pack (MAGS version)   

Best Short Game   
Don't Ice Your Cool   
Tales From The Outer Zone: The Goat Crone   
The Shaft   

Best Programming   
Lamplight City   
Racist [MAGS]   
Unavowed

[close]

How do the AGS Awards work?
(This is information mostly for new members, same procedure as every year)

Spoiler
Every year, the AGS community embarks on a quest to find the best games made in the last year. All games are eligible, that were added to the AGS Database in the year 2018. There is a For Your Consideration thread where authors can promote their games and players get a good overview what might be worth playing.

The awards are a two-step process: First there is a nomination phase where all community members can nominate the eligible games in several categories (it will be the same categories as last year). The top five games of each category make it to the voting (as long as they've received at least five nominations). Again, all members of the community can vote on their favourite games.
The final result is then announced in a live ceremony that can be joined either with a special client or any regular irc client.
[close]

Party like it's 1990 in this thread!

cat

Nominations start next weekend!

Game makers: Make sure you add your game to the For Your Consideration thread. You should add it before nominations start!

Players: Play the eligible games! A good starting point is the For Your Consideration thread or the AGS Database.

cat

Nominations are open!

Use the link in the the forum banner to select the games you deem worthy in each category.

Please let us know if you encounter any problems with the nomination page.

Nominations will close at 11:59 GMT on Sunday 10 February 2019.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... I'm gutted to see this two features when add last year gone.  :~(

When you select a game, a screenshot and link to the database will appear

Is there a reason why it's gone? (besides the new desging the form has)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

Less than a week left! The number of nominations so far is very low, not a single game got the 5 required votes, yet.

So play the games released this year and start nominating. Remember, there is no need to play all games to be able to nominate. Just make sure to nominate the ones you have played and liked for the categories you find appropriate.

Privateer Puddin'

Did some nominations!

More games (including MAGS) to play this week so hopefully will update..

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Sun 03/02/2019 17:05:30
Less than a week left! The number of nominations so far is very low, not a single game got the 5 required votes, yet.

So play the games released this year and start nominating. Remember, there is no need to play all games to be able to nominate. Just make sure to nominate the ones you have played and liked for the categories you find appropriate.
I'm going to make my nominations closer to the end of the week. But thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot it was this Sunday.

cat

cat

Less than 24 hour left for nominations!

Until now, not even half the number of people has voted compared to last year. The result is, that in many categories only two or three games got the required 5 nominations. It would be really sad if we end up without a proper shortlist for each category. Please help to avoid such a situation by doing the nominations ASAP!

I'm counting on you :)

Click'd

Maybe it just wasn't the best year for adventures.

cat

Really? I think there were some great games made last year.

cat

Is there a reason why only a few people nominated so far? Would a few days extension help?

I have really no clue what is different this year.

Snarky

Quote from: cat on Sun 10/02/2019 07:28:50
I have really no clue what is different this year.

Maybe the problem is that there haven't been any real controversies over the awards this year? There's usually someone complaining about something, but not this time around, as far as I've noticed.

So with just hours to spare, I'll try to start one. Ummm... I think it's an outrage that the jury for the Innovation/Lifetime Achievement awards is secret. How can we take these awards seriously when we don't know who's behind them, eh? I say BOYCOTT the awards until my our demands are met!

Stupot

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 10/02/2019 08:08:01
Ummm... I think it's an outrage that the jury for the Innovation/Lifetime Achievement awards is secret. How can we take these awards seriously when we don't know who's behind them, eh? I say BOYCOTT the awards until my our demands are met!
How dare you say that! Those awards are secret to stop people like you and your raindrop buddies from leaking them all over the internet and making a big digital puddle, you big raindrop.

I'm my case I just haven't set aside myself the time to do it. And I really haven't played that many of the games this year. Not even the MAGS ones 🤫

I'll see if I can have a quick look now without getting interrupted by something.

[edit] As a suggestion, would lowering the number of required nominations from 5 to 4 make any difference? (or dare I say even 3?)

Kastchey

@cat,

Personally I'd love a few days extension. The nominations aligned with my almost entirely "internetless" holidays so I nominated what little I could, but I'd happily do some more when I'm back home.

Hobo

I did vote for some of the stuff, but a few extra days would certaily be welcomed, so I could play some more games and fill in all the categories.

eri0o

I had some problems and couldn't cast votes in time, could this be extended by five or two days?

cat

AGS Awards nominations have been extended to 00:00 GMT on Thursday 14 February 2019.

We need especially votes in the "Best Puzzles", "Best Demo" and "Best Non Adventure Game" categories, but all other categories would also appreciate more votes.

Snarky

Cool! Hope that gives people a chance to add some more nominations.

Quote from: cat on Sun 10/02/2019 19:30:57
We need especially votes in the "Best Puzzles", "Best Demo" and "Best Non Adventure Game" categories

As far as I could tell, there were only two demos in the AGS games db for last year (Echo in the Clouds and Subterra). Any other eligible contenders?

Edit: Oh, I forgot about commercial games that link to demos. That adds The Guilt Eternal (none of the other commercial releases appear to have put out a demo in 2018.)

Kastchey

Lamplight City is a demo too, isn't it?
(I mean it's full as a commercial game, but the demo is in the DB)

Edit: Hm doesn't seem so, the DB says "Download Demo of Lamplight City" but the link seems to be pointing to the full game purchase.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk