Interview with Yahtzee

Started by Stupot, Wed 13/03/2019 05:43:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

AGS alumnus Yahtzee (of Trilby and Zero Punctuation fame) was interviewed on Stuart Goldsmith's Comedian's Comedian Podcast. It's an hour+ long interview and a really cool insight into the man and how he works. He does mention AGS briefly, which was cool.

I've listened to every episode of this podcast anyway and he usually interviews stand-ups, clowns and sketch performers so this one is a bit of a different episode. If you like Yahtzee, or even if you don't, it's well worth a listen.

By the way, Ali. When are you gonna be on ComComPod? IIRC Stuart did mention your name on the show a number of episodes ago.

milkanannan

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah his old AGS stuff was a creative use of the engine.

WHAM

The man who got me into trying out AGS. Good to see he's still alive and kicking! Poor bastard seems to be the only thing keeping the Escapist website running.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mandle

Cheers for the heads-up, Stu!

The Trilby series really got me hooked... Hmmm... maybe time for a replay...

Ali

I love Yahtzee's games, but I've never kept up with his YouTube stuff. It's silly that I wouldn't have thought of him as a "comedian". But it totally makes sense to think of people like him and Neil Cicierega / Trapezoid (formerly of this parish) that way.

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 13/03/2019 05:43:42
By the way, Ali. When are you gonna be on ComComPod? IIRC Stuart did mention your name on the show a number of episodes ago.

Never! He's only interviewed a few people who are as new as me - I'm only doing my 2nd solo show this year. Most of Stu's more recent guests have been doing solo shows for decades!

I'm not up to date with comcompod right now because I've been listening to Rule of Three, which is a great new-ish podcast about comedy (with a strong British bias). The one with Dara à" Briain about Eddie Izzard is terrific, but most of them aren't about stand-up: https://www.ruleofthreepod.com/

Stupot

I also had to suspend my disbelief a bit when I found out Yahtzee was going to be on this show about comedians. But thinking about it, he writes and performs material that makes people laugh.

Quote from: Ali on Wed 13/03/2019 12:38:56
https://www.ruleofthreepod.com/
Cheers for the recommendation. I've got a few other comedy podcasts on the go at the moment: RHLSTP, Off Menu, Sitcom Geeks and of course Loremen :-)

ManicMatt

Yahtzee had not long left after I joined, people talked about him and his games quite a bit back then.

I occasionally watch zero punctuation, but only for games I've already finished - he can spoil plots sometimes.

Blondbraid

Quote from: ManicMatt on Wed 13/03/2019 23:36:58
I occasionally watch zero punctuation, but only for games I've already finished - he can spoil plots sometimes.
I watch it too though recently I haven't really watched the episodes about games I haven't played, not so much due to spoilers but also because it's hard to get many of the jokes if you don't know anything about the franchise in question. Reference humor is funnier when you know the references.  (roll)

ManicMatt

Yeah, basically the reviews are also funnier if you've already played the game, his reviews aren't actually helpful to me in deciding if I should play that game.

Blondbraid

I finally listened all the way through the interview, it was pretty funny to hear Yahtzee talk about people recognizing him by his voice.

milkanannan

Just listened to it today. Quite an articulate fellow. Man, that guy keeps busy. I wish he could have spoken more about how he manages to get so much done. I mean, books, youtube, games, blog, etc etc - he's seriously productive in that "is there a secret identical twin helping him?" way. Was cool to hear him talk about life in general though, and even how he deals with stress, anxiety and finding a place in the world. I like interviews that go outside simply talking about work.

KyriakosCH

The Trilby series was very cool :)
I particularly liked the first two games.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Kweepa

I listened to Will Save The Galaxy For Food recently and am in the middle of Differently Morphous.
Wow, these are really good books, and his narration is excellent!
Will Save The Galaxy For Food had a plot twist that had me exclaim "what?!" out loud while listening.
And the Tom Baker-ish voice in Differently Morphous is hilarious.
(I skipped Mogworld because... first novel + mmorpg plot.)
Is there no end to his talents?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

milkanannan

Kweepa, which book would you most recommend?

Kweepa

I haven't finished Differently Morphous yet, so I don't want to jump to conclusions.
I suppose I'd recommend either right now.
Would you prefer a story about out of work star pilots or about a ministry of magic?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk