AGS Awards 2018 - Results!

Started by cat, Sat 05/01/2019 13:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavolis

Congrats, Dave! I'll say it again since you weren't there - it was an obvious win. Unavowed raised the bar for everybody!

Chicky

Ponch

LimpingFish

Congrats to all the winners! And thanks to everyone involved in making the awards happen!  ;-D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Texmurphy78

Thanks to everybody and thank you a lot for the award :)
I'm very sorry for not being there, but I had a few problems.
Congrats to all the winners, thx to AGS community and to the administrators!

Gurok

I've uploaded a recording of the awards ceremony.

There will be a little jump at around the 10:20 mark. Unfortunately, the awards client crashed for me.
There are about 30-40 seconds missing between the end of the laser show and the first award. Don't worry, I got the whole laser show. It's just missing a little bit of the intro for best demo.

Enjoy.

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

cat

Here is the result:

Best Game Created with AGS
Unavowed

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
The Knobbly Crook

Best Puzzles 
Lamplight City/The Clockwork Labyrinth

Best Short Game
Tales From The Outer Zone: Cyborg Seppuku

Best Writing
Lamplight City

Best Background Art
The Knobbly Crook

Best Gameplay
Unavowed

Best Character Art
Detective Gallo

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
The Rat Pack (MAGS version)

Best Music & Sound
Football Game

Best Character
Miles Fordham from Lamplight City

Best Programming
Unavowed

Best Animation
Lamplight City

Best Voice Work
Unavowed

Best Demo
Echo in the Clouds (Demo)

Best Innovation
Snarky - For his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules

Lifetime Achievement
Stupot - For his efforts as a MAGS host

Congratulations to all of you!
I am very happy about the varied result. I was afraid that one or two games would get all awards, but voters were very considerate and valued each game for their own merits. Thanks a lot for that!

Kastchey

Quote from: Gurok on Sun 31/03/2019 03:58:34
I've uploaded a recording of the awards ceremony.
Awesome, thanks Gurok! Ironically, I got DC'd just the moment the laser show started so I missed all the chat. Now I can catch up! :)

Congratulations to all the winners, amazing games and a really fun event this year. We had an impressive turnout and a great audience, which really makes every moment spent on developing the client worthwhile.
Here is a link to the full size trophy pack if anyone wants to use them for a signature or whatever other purpose:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y4GpTEEXPxbibeRh3Tu2AJ-PO5qQEOof

And for the group hug picture that closed the ceremony, if someone wants to be added there feel free to make a post in this group hug thread:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56532.0
The only condition is having a working avatar image.

Spoiler
Also, it's a shame for me that I (involuntarily) missed my opportunity to do the speech for The Rat Pack on CaptainD's behalf, so let me just quickly deliver it now: CaptainD is the author of a stunning amount of three nominations in the same category (!), which is why I'm incredibly happy that one of them has won. A non-adventure game made with AGS is always an impressive feat so I'm hoping to see more of them in the future, CD!
[close]

TheFrighter

Quote from: cat on Sun 31/03/2019 08:40:21

Best Demo
Echo in the Clouds (Demo)

Congrats Hobo! Now you have to complete the game...  (laugh)

_

Tabata

That was a big cool show.

I left because of the space-probs but peeked on twitch for about an hour.
Since I had some errors there I squeezed in again later and was able to enjoy the show
and the group huggle including the after (laser-) party in all its glory. 

The award is improving every year again!
Huge thanks to all who made this possible for us to take part!

Dualnames

I have to say that even though every year I make sure to remind people I made the first few versions of the client, I think this year it looked fantastic. I really found the Americal Girl Scouts and the award presentation to be absolutely brilliant. Well deserved wins in all of the categories I feel! It was really fun, we were on discord with a bunch of british folk who said blimey a lot, so that was also terribly fun! I really enjoyed this years' awards!! So thanks to cat and Snarky and wyz and sonneveld and vga256 for putting that much effort to it!

So yayyyyy!!

Oh, and congrats to Stupot <3 <3 <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snarky

When I received the Innovation award last night I was too frazzled to express my thanks properly, and it was a bit awkward after the big crash, so here goes a really long post:

As cat said, they really tried to make the award for Innovation a surprise, and even though I found out on the night before the show (when I was double-checking all the graphics for the nominees), they absolutely succeeded: seeing it there so unexpectedly, I was stunned and confused, and soon turned grateful and touched. Thank you for this award!

The proper credit for the AGS Awards client â€" the original idea and original work (much of which is still the core of the client to this day) â€" is by no means mine. JimReed made the first proof-of-concept of a "virtual café", Wyz took the idea and built it as an IRC client, and Dualnames took that platform and created the live interactive AGS Awards ceremony as we know it (at least, that's roughly how I understand the history). The key innovation was theirs, and they really should have been recognized for it years ago.

Then it became a community effort, with people adding all sorts of things. It's true that I've put a frankly ridiculous amount of work into it, but so many others have also contributed over the years...

I think everyone agrees that the “live” show by Ghosts of the Ancient Nothing (the DJ duo consisting of Abel and the mysterious Synth II) performing “Wired to a Dream” was a big highlight of the event. LostTrainDude (music) and Kastchey (animation and coding) actually put this together for last year's show, and had to wait a year to see it performed. Thanks for your patience, and great work! And shoutout to Noa Vana and Pixel Hunt, who also did a “live” stage performance for the 2014 awards.

Graphics! We have some great backgrounds by Ali, Daniel Thomas and Andail. Thanks to Ali (The Interdimensional ABK) for updating the main hall background for us this year to add the balcony and stuff! Kastchey has been doing a ton of other graphics, from the GUIs to the Girl Scouts to the trophies. He also did almost all the special nominee presentation screens (you know, "Best Character", "Best Animation"...) this year, and has been an invaluable support in the development. Thank you Kastchey!

And not to forget selmiak, who makes all the 3D intros (which have to be updated every year!) and animated backdrops. He's also done a bunch of other cool transitions and things you haven't even seen yet, but which might be coming in a future version of the client. I should also mention that the design of the Best Game trophy (and so, indirectly, the others as well) is based on concepts by danvzare, CassieBsg and JimReed.

Music! Mark Lovegrove composed the main themes and most of the music cues, and to me they are a signature part of the awards. After so many years and endless testing there are many other tracks I've become completely sick of, but these ones are not among them. Other cues are borrowed from here and there; I'll just mention the fanfare by Handsfree (taken from an Oceanspirit Dennis game, I believe).

Porting! This year for the first time the client is also running on Mac and Linux. Main credit for that goes to Wyz, who rewrote the sockets plugin this year, both so it works for other platforms and to improve performance  and robustness. A Mac port wouldn't have been possible without vga256, who created a working Mac build of the AGS engine, or sonneveld, who figured out how to get the sockets plugin to work on Mac. And in the same breath I would also like to mention Crimson Wizard, who over the years has made a number of updates to the AGS engine specifically to address the needs of this client.

And of course all the other people who have contributed avatars, graphics and music from their games. This is what I'm thinking of when I say the awards show is by the AGS community, for the AGS community. I love having all the characters from all sorts of different AGS games: low-res, high-res, 3D-rendered, photo-based… from fairly crude drawings to beautifully painted figures, all hanging out together. That community spirit is also shown by all the people who have participated in testing, and the people who have offered feedback, suggestions and ideas. Special mention to SSH, who many years ago created the first in-game AGS Awards (as a non-interactive, single-player cut-scene) and inspired what it has become, and to Jack, who insisted on the awards client making the jump to high-res and showed that it could be done.

Finally, a huge thank you to cat. You see her doing the AGS Awards forum threads and hosting the ceremony, but I don't think most people know how much work she does behind the scenes to make it all come together. Including on the client side, making sure we have all the information and assets we need to present the show, collecting it from all the nominees and putting it together in easy-to-import format.

So I'm happy to accept the award, but it's really on behalf of you all!

Oh, and also… while the AGS Awards client is the main motivation for the award, it also seems to be based on some other little things I've made, like the TotalLipSync and SpeechBubble modules, and the Clipboard plugin. For TotalLipSync I'd like to thank Calin Leafshade, whose code I worked off of, and Grundislav, who contributed a speech view to test with and who used the module in Lamplight City, which is very exciting to me. For SpeechBubble I am happy to thank bx83, who hired and paid me (generously!) to make it, and monkey0506, whose work on AGS color handling was very helpful in the development.

The Clipboard plugin is all me, though. I'm sharing that credit with nobody.  8-)

Thanks!

Sinitrena

You absolutely deserve this win, Snarky! The client gets better and better every year. Too bad you weren't surprised at the ceremony - that would have been the icing on the cake, I'm sure. Huge congratulations to you and thank you for another amazing ceremony. Also thanks to cat and evetybody else involved in making this go as smoothly as possible.

Congratulations to all the winners, too.

Kastchey

This is a great overview of the awards client history, and a proper credit to everyone involved. Awesome! The Awards ceremony is indeed an amazing community effort that has been constantly developed by so many people over so many years.

However... Snarky sir, allow me to just point out that as per cat's presentation speech during the ceremony, you have been awarded not only for your work on the client, but for your vast contributions to the module and open source content library in general. You are among the most prolific module authors in this community that had not been awarded to date, so don't you try to dodge the credit for that ;)

Also, my coding for the laser harp show was crap. Guess who fixed it ;)

KyriakosCH

Nice :) I have played most of the games that won.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Privateer Puddin'

Great work again by all those involved with the awards.

I'm sure other communities have similar things, but it's really nice AGS has this!

cat

Congratulations to all winners, but also all nominees!

I am very happy with the award results. Only 48 people voted (compared to 68 last year), but those who did vote put an effort into choosing the right game for each category.

The activity on the board and number of games created with AGS might be declining, but the quality is constantly rising.
Thanks to the game authors for all the games released last year.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the ceremony: writing and updating the client, providing resources, recording, streaming, presenting awards and being in the audience.

I was happy that MAGGIES were again presented at the ceremony. MAGS is such an important part of the AGS community with a constant output of games. Congratulations also for your well deserved Lifetime Achievement award, Stupot.

Thanks again to everyone who played the games, nominated and voted - contrary to other sites where they decide all awards in a committee, this is a community event, and it wouldn't work without the effort of the whole community.

For this year's nominations, people said that they need more time to play all the games. To avoid having this problem next year again, there is an easy solution for this:
After the awards is before the awards. As of today, there are already 15 new games in the database.

Start playing this year's games right now!

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sun 31/03/2019 14:25:26
I'm sure other communities have similar things, but it's really nice AGS has this!
You mean they have a ceremony with a multiplayer client that was specifically developed for this event using the same engine the awarded games were built with and featuring a laser show, American girl scouts and a group hug? I'm sure there are lots of them out there  :P  ;)

Stupot

That was a really special ceremony and it was well worth setting my alarm for 4:30 for it. Lots of great new touches. The laser show blew my tiny little mind away. The American Girl Scouts did a stellar job. As did Cat and Snarky and all the backstage crew.

Thanks as well to the panel for my lifetime achievement award. I was shocked about that and a little embarrassed because I still feel like I haven't achieved a lot in terms of making games and modules and whatnot, but it's lovely to know that my other efforts to engage and encourage the community haven't gone unnoticed.

Also, big shout out to everyone who ever made a MAGS game, or even started one but couldn't finish. And to everyone who ever voted. You guys really keep MAGS going. I just do a bit of copying and pasting. I feel I owe a drink to Atelier and Dualnames and those who came before them. They made my job as MAGS host much easier.

Thanks for the love. This community really is the best place on the Internet (sorry, P-hub).

I now declare this month Make A Game April (MAGA). So head over to the new MAGS thread and get a load of the new topic.

Akril15

Congrats to the winners! The ceremony was great fun, and I'm glad I could be there for most of it.

CaptainD

Sorry I couldn't be at the ceremony, life is just busy right now.  Thanks so much to everyone who voted for The Rat Pack, I never imagined it would end up winning an award!  Also thank you to Kastchey for the kind words.

Even though I wasn't there I would really like to thank Cat, Snarky and anyone else involved in hosting the awards.  Hope to see you there next year!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk