AGS Awards 2018 - Results!

Started by cat, Sat 05/01/2019 13:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

milkanannan

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 30/03/2019 02:17:27
I'm too tired to make a proper announcement, but there's no reason to delay.

Here's the final (barring any major unexpected issue) version of the AGS Awards client (v4.10). Thanks to the efforts of our awesome porting teams, it's available natively on Windows, Mac and Linux:

Windows (.7z) (181 MB)
Mac (.7z) (188 MB)
Linux (.tar.gz) (228 MB)

The ports should be identical, with one exception: Clipboard support (copy/paste to and from other applications) only works on Windows.
Note that the Linux build depends on a version of libpng. If not installed on your system, you can get it here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libpng12-0

Thanks so much for making a Mac port!

cat

Thanks Snarky for the client! I've updated the first post with download information.

There are some really nice additional features this year - don't miss out on it!

Snarky

I thought I'd make a little guide to using the awards client.

When you first create your profile and get to picking your nickname, there's a "NickServ Password" field. This is for IRC users who already have a registered nick/password. If you don't have a password set up, leave this field blank.

If you fail to connect, you pretty much have to quit out of the program, fix whatever the problem is, and try again. If you set the wrong NickServ password, for example, you'll have to create a new profile when you restart (it will overwrite the current one).

Of course, you can walk around by left-clicking. However, because the IRC channel we use to communicate these actions has limited bandwidth, walking is throttled â€" after you click to walk, it is disabled for a short period. Just wait and you'll be able to click again.

You can also turn to face different directions by right-clicking:

New this year, we also have animated speech:

... and you can perform a "special action" by pressing the button:

Both of these things will only work if you avatar supports it â€" most avatars don't. Also, in some cases the special action requires you to face a certain direction.

You choose your avatar from the menu at start, and can change it during the show. Some avatars are password-protected (if you have a protected avatar, you should already know your password): on the avatars screen, click the "Special..." button and type in the password:

To see whether the avatar supports animated speech or special action, look at the little letters to their bottom right:

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/jjCJXbQ.png[/imgzoom]

"T" means the avatar has an animated speech view, "X" that it supports a special action.

You can also use a number of the standard IRC commands in the chat. Notably, "/me wipes a tear from his eye" will be displayed as an action, "*Snarky wipes a tear from his eye" rather than just something I said, and "/nick MyNewName" changes your nickname to that name (if it is permitted).

You can use the scroll wheel (or equivalent trackpad gesture) to scroll the chatlog up and down. You can use Ctrl-Z/Y to undo/redo text entry, and on Windows you can use Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to cut, copy and paste from the system clipboard.

Buttons that are grayed out and say "(Not available)" are features that haven't been implemented yet.

People who connect to the awards ceremony through text chat (IRC) rather than with the client are represented by "holograms" on the balcony. These holograms are controlled automatically when they're on stage, there's no person controlling their movements.

Edit:
Oh, and a couple of words about bugs. Let's hope there aren't any serious ones, but there's always a chance of a crash. At least on Mac (not sure about Linux), the application will just quit without any error message or warning.

If you do get a crash message, please copy it down (text or screenshot) and report it so it can be fixed in the future. The same goes for any other glitches or bugs you might experience: the hosts will be quite busy during the show, so if you just mention it in the chat there's a high risk we'll miss it or forget about it.

There are at least two known bugs you'll probably notice:

• The name of the song/artist displayed by the volume control isn't always updated correctly, so it may sometimes show wrong information
  • If you hide the chatlog and go into one of the fullscreen menus (avatar, speech color...), when you return the chatlog text (but not the backdrop) will be displayed. You can click show/hide twice to get rid of it again.
You may also notice people teleporting or "warping" around. This can either be because there's too much IRC traffic (with lots of people walking around at the same time), or often because your framerate is too low for the game to keep up. As AGS games go, it has high requirements. If you're seeing very low framerates, try changing some of the settings in winsetup.exe: make sure you're running in Direct3D or OpenGL if possible. The client often runs better in a window than in fullscreen.

vga256

Quote from: man n fist on Sat 30/03/2019 06:08:52

Thanks so much for making a Mac port!

No problemo! It was a team effort - sonneveld and wyz debugged the sockets plugin, and I did the engine/Xcode work. Enjoy :D

Dave Gilbert

Hello! Thanks for doing this. But when I uncompressed the .7z file for mac, it created a folder instead of an .app file. Could you upload as a proper .zip instead? That usually does the trick.

Edit: never mind! Editing the folder name with an .app extension filed the problem.

Snarky

Great! If anyone else is having trouble with the Mac .z7, you can get it as a .zip here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5qy60ldl6xsxq2/AGS%20Awards%202018%20Mac%20v.4.10.zip?dl=0

And yeah, huge thanks to the people who made the ports. Wyz rewrote the whole sockets plugin to work on other platforms, starting with Linux, and showed me how to create a Linux build of the client. And I had no hope at all of a native Mac build â€" at best I thought we could wrap the Windows EXE â€" so to have vga256, Wyz and sonneveld pull it together in such a short amount of time was really amazing.

Ponch

Will there be a port for the Amiga CD32?

Also, if I'd known there would be special animation options, I'd have provided extra frames for Paige Rowsdower.  :cheesy:

Thanks to everyone for all their hard work. I can't wait to arrive at the theater.

cat

The ceremony will start in one hour!

You can already start up the client - we are warming up for the ceremony!

One more note: the ceremony will be moderated. This means, while the categories are presented, the audience will be muted in the chat (though you will still see said text above the heads in the client). If you want to chat during that time, you can join #ags on irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk with a regular IRC client.
There is also the AGS Discord chat.

Btw, all presenters should have received a PM with their categories.

Snarky

Also, I am livestreaming the ceremony on https://www.twitch.tv/snarkibartfast

(No guarantees, I literally just tried to do this for the first time in the last fifteen minutes.)

cat

cat

We are having technical problems because of too many attendees. If you do not present or are not nominated, please go to the livestream instead:

https://www.twitch.tv/snarkibartfast

Cassiebsg

Before I forget:
client suggestion: Cut down the walkable area bellow the text (where the clapping and textbox is). My character keeps walking there accidentally.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

It's over!

Thanks everyone - I'll put up the results tomorrow.

LostTrainDude

Thank you all for the amazing show! The amount of work put into this is incredible and it shows: the Awards just keep get better and better!

And thanks to Kastchey for providing such a spectacular "live act" for a band that doesn't even exist!
Here is the track that was played on stage, hope you enjoy!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Snarky

Thanks everybody! I really feel this event and these awards are all about the community, not just the games, and you were great.

It's a shame we had a big crash, and I'm particularly sorry to those who were forced (or volunteered) to leave because of it. I truly apologize. This was entirely my fault: a bug in the client code.

Specifically, the client has a hardcoded limit on the number of displayed participants it can support. That number has, for a few years, been set to 45, which is clearly dangerously low. (I forget the reason why, but it was to workaround some other old bug.) Even so, we haven't been close to that limit for many years; I think last year we were in the low 30s. However, this year, with the addition of the balcony with holograms for IRC-only participants, those now get added to the count, and with a few more people attending we cross the critical limit and everything is bad.

It's challenging to test for stuff like this, because it requires a LOT of people to participate in the beta. Still, that's no excuse. I'm glad we had a streaming fallback set up, at least (and huge thanks to Cino for picking it up when mine went down), even though it's not really the same.

(Incidentally, in the end it turned out my computer wasn't dead, just in some sort of coma. Maybe it overheated and had to cool down?)

Oh, and since I see that Dave Gilbert dropped by again after everyone left: Yes, Unavowed won Best Game. Congratulations!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk