Compiled game missing from folder

Started by cdavenport, Sat 05/01/2019 16:05:55

Previous topic - Next topic

cdavenport

I have an unusual problem, when I compile my game I get a confirmation that the game is successfully compiled but it is missing from the folder where winsetup is?

Before this started to happen, acwin.exe got flagged as a trojan virus on my Windows 10 and quarantined, I restored it figuring it was an error and then everything worked fine again except when I compile my game, it's missing from the folder now. I don't know where it is, or if it's even being generated.

I'm runninf Windows 10 and AGS 3.5.0. Does anybody have any idea of what might have went wrong, and where to look to try and fix it?

Crimson Wizard

See if "Windows" is set as a build target in General Settings "Build targets". I think it may cancel itself if some of the files are not available.

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 05/01/2019 16:45:01
See if "Windows" is set as a build target in General Settings "Build targets". I think it may cancel itself if some of the files are not available.

Thanks, I checked and Windows wasn't set as build target (only data), now it's set to Data File and Windows. Compiling works now, but there's no audio in compiled game. But audio plays fine when I run it in the editor...?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Sat 05/01/2019 17:05:03Compiling works now, but there's no audio in compiled game. But audio plays fine when I run it in the editor...?

Was it working earlier? Is there actually audio.vox file in compiled folder? Perhaps try doing Build->Rebuild all files -- this seem to be a solution when compilation structure breaks for any reason.

cdavenport

Was working earlier this morning, after acwin.exe got flagged as trojan unexpectedly for first time ever, been having troubles with compiled game - checking the "Windows" build target fixed the one issue but now the compiled game is not playing sounds (it looks like its ambient files affected) as it still plays voice files and some music...

Although everything seems to work in the editor whatever it is is just affecting compiled games. Tried re-building several times but to no avail yet.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Sat 05/01/2019 17:51:48(it looks like its ambient files affected)

Okay, ambient sounds are by default built into EXE (this is configured in the Audio types). Is this like that in your project? If yes maybe try to set VOX for them and see if that makes a difference.

Another thing, are you absolutely sure that the exe gets updated when compiled?

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 05/01/2019 18:04:21
Quote from: cdavenport on Sat 05/01/2019 17:51:48(it looks like its ambient files affected)

Okay, ambient sounds are by default built into EXE (this is configured in the Audio types). Is this like that in your project? If yes maybe try to set VOX for them and see if that makes a difference.

Another thing, are you absolutely sure that the exe gets updated when compiled?

Yeah that's how my sounds are structured, a quick test I set one file that I knew wasn't playing to VOX and re-compiled the game. It plays now in the complied game, and the exe is being updated according to the timestamp when I generate a new game file to run.

Is there universal way to re-set all ambient sounds to VOX or do I have to do them all individually one at a time to fix this?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Sat 05/01/2019 18:18:39
Is there universal way to re-set all ambient sounds to VOX

It's set for respected folder (select the folder itself and you see its properties), every clip inherits the folder settings by default afaik.

cdavenport

Another thing, I don't know why, but on most of the sounds after setting them to external VOX as above I have to go in and change the ones that are set to properties Type "ambient" over to "sound" to get them to play in the complied game. Some will play when the Types set to "ambient" and some won't unless they're set to "sound". Not sure why this has happened all of the sudden...

Crimson Wizard

Well, in that case this means that something is wrong going with "ambient sounds" audio type in general. I cannot really tell what without knowing more details or seeing the project.

EDIT: As a random idea, what is the DefaultVolume and DefaultPriority in your ambient sound folder properties? I imagine if you set DefaultVolume to 0 by mistake then every sound in the folder will be playing silently unless you also set individual DefaultVolume in a clip.

If that still is not the case, something that I forgot to ask about, what is the result of calling Play() for non-working ambient sounds in game? I mean, do they return actual AudioChannel or null instead?

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 05/01/2019 19:17:28
Well, in that case this means that something is wrong going with "ambient sounds" audio type in general. I cannot really tell what without knowing more details or seeing the project.

EDIT: As a random idea, what is the DefaultVolume and DefaultPriority in your ambient sound folder properties? I imagine if you set DefaultVolume to 0 by mistake then every sound in the folder will be playing silently unless you also set individual DefaultVolume in a clip.

If that still is not the case, something that I forgot to ask about, what is the result of calling Play() for non-working ambient sounds in game? I mean, do they return actual AudioChannel or null instead?

Thanks for checking, but I looked at the Default Volume on the folder and it appears set correctly at 100. I'm not sure what you mean by calling Play() for the non-working ambient sounds, or how to check the Audio Channel?

All I can see is that all the sounds work fine in the editor, but a portion of them (ambient) do not work after I compile the game and run it. None of them work at all unless I go in manually and re-set them from InGameEXE to InSeperateVOX, and this never occured until acwin.exe was flagged as virus and quarantined making me restore it. That's when all these problems began.

I'm considering re-installing the engine and restoring an earlier version of my game to see if this stuff goes away.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Wed 09/01/2019 00:12:22I'm not sure what you mean by calling Play() for the non-working ambient sounds, or how to check the Audio Channel?

When you do aSomeSound.Play() it returns a pointer to AudioChannel. What I was asking is whether it returns valid channel (meaning engine at least trying to play it), or null pointer, which means it could not even start or load the clip.

Code: ags

AudioChannel *chan = aAmbientSound.Play();
if (chan != null)
    Display("Sound playback started");
else
    Display("Sound playback not started");

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 09/01/2019 00:16:41
Quote from: cdavenport on Wed 09/01/2019 00:12:22I'm not sure what you mean by calling Play() for the non-working ambient sounds, or how to check the Audio Channel?

When you do aSomeSound.Play() it returns a pointer to AudioChannel. What I was asking is whether it returns valid channel (meaning engine at least trying to play it), or null pointer, which means it could not even start or load the clip.

Code: ags

AudioChannel *chan = aAmbientSound.Play();
if (chan != null)
    Display("Sound playback started");
else
    Display("Sound playback not started");

Okay I ran a quick test to duplicate problem, I took a piece of music and set it to "ambient" and InGameEXE with your check and got "Sound playback not started" in the compiled game. However plays fine straight from the editor.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cdavenport on Wed 09/01/2019 00:33:32
Okay I ran a quick test to duplicate problem, I took a piece of music and set it to "ambient" and InGameEXE with your check and got "Sound playback not started" in the compiled game.

Question: what if you test separately a clip that is not of type "ambient" but is added to GameEXE, and a clip that is not added to GameEXE but is ambient, which will work (or not)?
Another question: is there a difference if you run game from the editor or directly from Compiled/Windows folder?

But it looks like for some reason either editor cannot compile the clips into game data, or game cannot read it when it's attached to exe.

cdavenport

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 09/01/2019 01:04:43
Quote from: cdavenport on Wed 09/01/2019 00:33:32
Okay I ran a quick test to duplicate problem, I took a piece of music and set it to "ambient" and InGameEXE with your check and got "Sound playback not started" in the compiled game.

Question: what if you test separately a clip that is not of type "ambient" but is added to GameEXE, and a clip that is not added to GameEXE but is ambient, which will work (or not)?
Another question: is there a difference if you run game from the editor or directly from Compiled/Windows folder?

But it looks like for some reason either editor cannot compile the clips into game data, or game cannot read it when it's attached to exe.

Okay testing a clip set as type "sound" and InGameEXE returns "Sound playback not started." Same result with clip set as "ambient sound" and InGameEXE.

When I run the game from the editor all sounds work fine, it's when I compile the game and run it from Compiled/Windows folder that the sounds don't work (unless set to InSeperateVOX).

Crimson Wizard

Well, I am clueless at this point. If this was a constant behavior I would think there is definitely a bug, but since as you say it started after anti virus quarantine, this is something messed up.
In the past there were certain bugs in wip version (I think it was 3.4.1's beta) when it could not find some resources in game, but all of these were fixed eventually.

I wonder, could you send me your game project to look into this? At the same time we'll know if it something wrong with this version of AGS in general or happens only in your enviroment (as a blind guess - antivirus is blocking some AGS features, regardless of how crazy this sounds).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk