Author Topic: Mittens 2019 booked! Cairns, Australia, 05 - 12 October  (Read 2901 times)

AGA

• Adventure Game Aficionado
  • Administrator
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    • AGA worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Mittens 2019 - Australia??
« Reply #60 on: 10 May 2019, 08:20 »
Booked!  I'm glad I Googled the venue though, because booking.com have it listed for significantly cheaper than airbnb.  The price per person (assuming we all attend) will at today's rates be $293.59 AUD / £157.88 GBP / €182.99 EUR / $205.47 USD.

Privateer Puddin'

• Mittens Knight
  • bob
Re: Mittens 2019 booked! Cairns, Australia, 05 - 12 October
« Reply #61 on: 10 May 2019, 09:36 »
Nice work! See ya'll down under  :cool:

Wiggy

• From the tropical north Queensland
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2019, 10:00 »
Geez! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

You've been had, conned, bullshitted and potentially ripped off. Stop immediately your planning and DON'T send any money to anyone. This "lovely" house in Clifton Beach may well be close to the water (in which you cannot swim in October), and you can look at the ocean once you cross the walkway over the 20 foot high concrete block sea wall, but there are no pubs or clubs in Clifton Beach, nothing is walking distance from that location but it is on the bus route. There is one bottle-shop/off-licence in the Clifton shopping centre and one licenced restaurant in Clifton Road which sells alcohol at restaurant prices. I know because I live here - postcode 4879!!

You will not be able to get cheap transport from the airport because it's not a resort, they cannot organise tours and pick-ups, you will have to hire car(s), and you will leave this paradisical area disheartened and peeved. You've picked the wrong spot, and you made the #1 error - you believed and trusted someone in Aussie Real Estate. Either go to Palm Cove or look at "Gilligan's" in Cairns city. The current way forward is one I cannot recommend. If you need further explaination, PM me.

AGA

• Administrator
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2019, 10:36 »
Wiggy, I appreciate the local knowledge, but none of the things you mention are dealbreakers for a Mittens.  We rarely even book typical tourist villas, we're often out in the suburbs away from stuff.

For instance. the house we rented last year was on an island that required cars to get anywhere, wasn't within walking distance of shops or restaurants.  Iceland the year before was at the tip of a peninsula that was nowhere near anything.  Sweden the year before was also quite remote, driving or bus required.

So taking this all into account, would you still not recommend it?  As a local, is it a nice, quiet place to live?  Close enough to the city by car?

Wiggy

• From the tropical north Queensland
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with translating
    • I can help with voice acting
« Reply #64 on: 15 May 2019, 07:27 »
Ah ha! All becomes clear now AGA, and yes, it is quiet, peaceful, inspirational - which is why I live here. The beach itself is magnificent, and many are the times I have wandered down pre-dawn to see Venus (the morning star) herald the dawn. Walking north along the beach will lead you to Palm Cove eventually. I welcome you to my home, and will attempt to meet and greet with appropriate beverages and food in October. I really hope you enjoy this paradise, and I apologise for seeing you as usual tourists. We must visit the reef though! We may talk about this over a "frothy fun glass" or six at a later date. Cheers!

Wiggy

AGA

• Administrator
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
« Reply #65 on: 15 May 2019, 07:33 »
Phew!  But yeah, I'll definitely copy you in on the finer details when I send them out; would be silly for you not to be involved if you live so close.

Privateer Puddin'

• Mittens Knight
  • bob
« Reply #66 on: 23 May 2019, 09:10 »
Hello! I have booked my flights today.

There's only one direct flight a day with Cathay, so I'll arrive at 06:30 on the 5th.