A redesign of the AGS site is being planned! Please check out the mockups and give your feedback.

Two factor authentication (via app or email) is now available for the forums. You can enable it on your profile.

Author Topic: [TOOL] Pic2EGA - Convert image to EGA graphics  (Read 850 times)

[TOOL] Pic2EGA - Convert image to EGA graphics
« on: 13 Jan 2019, 10:42 »
Hello,

I really like the look of EGA graphics (specifically the dithered type). The only good free tool I have found that can take an image and convert it into that format is part of SCI companion (the tool for sierra's SCI engine). It outputs a fixed resolution and is very limited for what I wanted to do.

So I programmed my own tool in C#. It will take an input image and convert it to EGA, VGA (256 color), CGA, or a custom defined palette. It will apply dithering to the image with several selectable algorithms.

I am releasing it here. The archive includes the source and the binary. You are free to modify it; just do not claim it as yours or try to sell it.

Part of the reason I am posting this here is because it is still not 100% complete. It works well, but the first EGA dithering algorithm is a little off. The colors that it produces are wrong. I was hoping someone would be interested in helping me improve this project. I think this is something that a lot of people here could find useful.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zCwABhsg-ZSl0ghtuZEzHq-t4Wtxh1i7

Here is it working:
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2019, 10:44 by OgreVorbis »

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: [TOOL] Pic2EGA - Convert image to EGA graphics
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:47 »
That is beautiful!

I think I know about the tool you're talking about, the one that's part of SCI companion. But this looks like it'll be so much better!

I wish I could help with improving it, but I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin.
Good luck though.