Revive Daedalic's project "The Devil's Men"

Started by Cyrus, Sun 13/01/2019 21:37:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

Hi, I've just seen this petition for the revival of Daedalic's abandoned project "The Devil's Men":

https://www.change.org/p/daedalic-entertainment-revive-the-devil-s-men

I really loved its plot premise, especially the mix of historical and occult/fantastic elements, and the idea of multipath walkthrough with branching storylines, so I'm definitely signing that one.

Stupot

Again with this obsession with branching narratives! No wonder they cancelled it after giving themselves X times as much work making stuff that only a fraction of the players will ever see.

Ali

I hate to be negative - good luck to anyone who's supporting story-driven games. But I don't understand the motivation behind these campaigns. Petitioning Daedelic to sell the IP to another Dev, petitioning a publisher to re-release an old game - those make sense so me. But how many millions of signatures would it take to persuade them to revive a project they've already canned? Why not put our energy into supporting people who want to make a game?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 14/01/2019 02:26:39
Again with this obsession with branching narratives! No wonder they cancelled it after giving themselves X times as much work making stuff that only a fraction of the players will ever see.
Indeed, some games are able to do it by using the same assets in the different paths (having the same locations and characters in all paths but changing the dialogue), but even then
almost the only games that really manage this are either visual novels that are mostly just text or AAA game with huge developer teams and budgets. There are exceptions, but they are few.
Quote from: Ali on Mon 14/01/2019 10:19:39
I hate to be negative - good luck to anyone who's supporting story-driven games. But I don't understand the motivation behind these campaigns. Petitioning Daedelic to sell the IP to another Dev, petitioning a publisher to re-release an old game - those make sense so me. But how many millions of signatures would it take to persuade them to revive a project they've already canned? Why not put our energy into supporting people who want to make a game?
I'm sad to say I agree. The screenshots are some of the most gorgeous images I've ever seen in a game and the premise sounds like great fun, but if all that exists of the game is the handful of backgrounds and characters shown in the screenshots it's hard to see why Daedelic (or any other devs they'd send the IP to) would restart and rebuild an entire project almost from scratch unless there was a really huge number of people who could show that they're willing to pay for the game if it gets developed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk