AGS Awards 2018 - Awards Client (Feedback and future improvements)

Started by Snarky, Mon 14/01/2019 07:36:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Hi all you beautiful people!

Update to officially announce that we will be running a Beta Test of the awards client on Monday, 25. March at 20:00 GMT. It will be very helpful if you can attend.

It's that time of year again: the AGS Awards are coming up. This year there's a small team working on the awards client ceremony, and deadlines and stuff, so hopefully things will be a bit more in hand than last year â€" sorry about that! (We'll be asking for your help in the upcoming months to run some beta tests/dress rehearsals in this thread.) The remaining caveat is that we still have busy lives with limited time available, so although we started slowly last summer, there's still a lot left to be done.

A few improvements have been implemented, though: one is copy-paste from other applications (which should make giving prepared speeches a lot easier), another is animated speech!

However, we don't have all that many avatars that actually have animated speech views: a lot are from games with Sierra-style speech that never had it, for starters. However, there are also a bunch of LucasArts avatars that don't have them imported:

We're asking for your help to get them AGS-ready, so the client team can focus on core features. Otherwise, these avatars will be removed from the client!

What we need are AGS .chr files (which you get from exporting a character from AGS), with standing, walking and speech views (with the heads merged to the bodies in a single sprite). The characters should be in their original, unscaled resolution. Most of the relevant spritesheets are available online, e.g. here:

Monkey Island 1: http://spritedatabase.net/game/1513
Monkey Island 2: http://spritedatabase.net/game/784
Fate of Atlantis: http://spritedatabase.net/game/1629
DOTT: ?
Sam & Max (missing Sam): http://spritedatabase.net/game/1682

If you have some of the other sprites already ripped, that would be helpful too. Any assistance will be credited in the client credits file. Thanks!

PS: This is also pretty much the last chance to make client feature suggestions and requests. (Anything you say will almost certainly already be on the list, but it can be useful to know which things to prioritize.)

Privateer Puddin'

Are you still taking avatars from AGS games?  :cool:

Snarky

Yes. Please fill in this form and send me the avatar character in .chr format. For AGS avatars, I'm interested in the walk/normal view, speech view (if LucasArts-style), and if available, a "special action" view (a short animation of the character doing something cool, flashing a grin, or similar).

I should add that we're not planning to remove AGS avatars that lack speechviews this time around, but in the future we'll probably have to start culling avatars that haven't been used.

eri0o

Snarky

Let's say a month from today to be safe.

Snarky

*bump*

I haven't received any avatars or speech animations so far. That's OK â€" there are plenty to choose from â€" but in case you forgot, here's a reminder.

Cassiebsg

Just wondering, I know my Starbuck had speech view and other animations when I packed it, do you have it full, or did you delete the extras that were not needed last year, and now the characters are missing those extra views?
Don't know if I should send it again or not.

Unfortunately I currently have no time to do those LA characters, so can't help there.  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

Since this is the AGS awards and there are plenty of AGS game characters already, I think it would be okay to remove the Lucas Arts client anyway.

Snarky

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 24/01/2019 10:47:56
Just wondering, I know my Starbuck had speech view and other animations when I packed it, do you have it full, or did you delete the extras that were not needed last year, and now the characters are missing those extra views?
Don't know if I should send it again or not.

I believe speech views are included for any avatars that were submitted in previous years with them, apart from a couple that had the head animations separate from the bodies. In any case, I have the source files and should be able to add them back if not already included. When we do a beta test you'll be able to verify for yourself.

Cassiebsg

Oh, that character has head portrait as speech. I thought you were talking about portraits.  8-0
Guess I'll see about rendering a speech animation for him then.  ;)

Snarky

Nobody has submitted any avatars yet, so this is a final reminder to do so soon if you want them in the ceremony. This can be your own game character, or the LEC characters with speech animations I asked for at the top of the thread. (Again: PM me a link, preferably in CHR format, and fill in the form here).

For nominees, cat should be sending out a message soon about the assets we need to make the presentation of the game in the ceremony as good as possible.

Jack

I would go dig out Stan and the other MI2 characters if you make Stan the IRC character :)

Stan has a great talk cycle.

Snarky

Quote from: Jack on Sat 23/02/2019 23:17:57
I would go dig out Stan and the other MI2 characters if you make Stan the IRC character :)

There isn't a single "IRC character" any more: each IRC participant's avatar is picked "randomly" (based on the username). But I'm planning to restrict it to avatars with a speech animation, so if you get me Stan's he'll be in the mix.

AGA

If you want I can give you a page that will return a user's avatar URL from the name, if you wanted to use people's actual forums avatars.  No idea if that's technically feasible though?

Snarky

Anything's feasible with enough work.  :-D

This would involve:
-A plugin to make an http connection and download the avatar image files
-A plugin to decode jpg, png and gif images and provide them to AGS as sprites
-Client logic to load these images in the background and add them as they become available
-A new AGS GUI widget that could display a user list with avatar icons (or I suppose they could show up over the character on mouseover)
-Possibly some way to verify users, so people couldn't just steal someone else's forum name

There's not nearly enough time to implement it for this year, but it could be a cool feature to keep in mind for the future.

(What would be much easier would be to download a package of avatar images converted to bmp and just load them from disk. Still a bit too much work for this year, though.)

VampireWombat

Okay, I should be able to put together speech views of the DoTT and Sam and Max characters. since I guess no one else has yet.

Snarky

Cassiebsg

Snarky, sorry been meaning to pack some character for the client, and keep getting busy & forgetting.

Does the "special" animation go in the Idle view? Or something else?
I''' go pack them now an upload

Snarky

Yes, you can put it in the idle view, blinking view or thinking view.
Or you can add it as additional loops for the NormalView or SpeechView.
(Thanks, I've received the characters you sent.)

Privateer Puddin'

Hobo

Does the award client run at default 40 or is it 60 fps?
All my character animation delays and speeds are currently tuned to 60 fps and I'd like to know if I need to adjust them before exporting.

Snarky

Hah! We're lucky if it runs at 40 fps. Depending on your rig and how much is going on in the ceremony, it can drop significantly below that. It's a beast. I've taken some steps to try to improve it, by reducing unnecessary processing in repeatedly_execute functions, but it hasn't made a huge difference yet. (I'm also thinking of some code to adjust animation speeds depending on the framerate, but I'm not sure I dare.)

The client actually determines the animation speed of each character itself, based on a formula that tries to get everyone to have roughly the same walkspeed. This is necessary because there is no timing data for most of the animations, and they vary from 2-frame to 20-frame+ walkcycles. So it shouldn't matter, in theory. (The formula isn't exactly foolproof, so there is quite a bit of variation in practice, but it's "good enough" for the most part.)

Click'd

I think this is a cool idea, but have you tried using software actually made for this kind of thing?

You may now throw stones. Or produce.

Jack

Everyone here could use Unity or UE4 if we wanted.

Snarky

Quote from: C.L.I.C.K. on Tue 26/02/2019 20:33:14
I think this is a cool idea, but have you tried using software actually made for this kind of thing?

Now where's the fun in that?

Snarky

Hey, Wyz has updated and ported the IRC (sockets) plugin to Linux, so there will be an experimental Linux version of the client this year (without copy-paste support, though). Is there anyone on Linux who wants to test it?

VampireWombat

Snarky

Cool! Wyz will have to provide the code/build. It would be great if you could participate in the Beta test on Monday, 25. March (20:00 GMT) using the Linux client, but we may also want to try to do some testing before that.

Snarky

Bump to officially announce the client Beta Test, Monday 25. March, 20:00 GMT.

If you could join for the beta test, that would help us out a lot!

(The beta version of the client will be available for download that morning. It should be around 250 MB compressed, perhaps 1 GB uncompressed.)

Cassiebsg

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 26/02/2019 20:20:29
Hah! We're lucky if it runs at 40 fps. Depending on your rig and how much is going on in the ceremony, it can drop significantly below that. It's a beast. I've taken some steps to try to improve it, by reducing unnecessary processing in repeatedly_execute functions, but it hasn't made a huge difference yet. (I'm also thinking of some code to adjust animation speeds depending on the framerate, but I'm not sure I dare.)

Sorry if I asked before, is the new version open sourced? I have some older sources from 2018 on my disk (from bitbucket) although I don't remember why did I get them in the first place...

Snarky

There are some things in the client that are secret up until the ceremony, so it will be open-sourced after the event.

You may have got the project source from last year in order to test an engine bug that had something to do with plugins.

Snarky

Hey, a reminder that the AGS Awards beta test is taking place tonight, at 20:00 GMT.

Here are the client builds for Windows and Linux (for the final version I hope to create a Wineskin wrapper so you can easily run it on Mac as well):

[Edit: Downloads removed after beta. Wait for the release of the final version.]

Windows: Download .z7 (189 MB) -  Download .zip (235 MB)
Linux: Download .z7 (270 MB)

The unzipped client is about 400 MB on Windows, after I turned on sprite compression.

You can connect up at any time if you just want to hang out, but note that if you are the first person to connect (and you're not a channel op on #awards), you'll end up stuck behind the stage.

Dave Gilbert

Hm. I can't seem to get this to run on my mac even using Windows Parallel (yes I'm a mac user now). I will try to get it working, but if not I won't be able to take part. :(

Cassiebsg

Wyz talked about possibly building to Mac too, but he was missing someone to test or something?
Try PMing him, he might have something.

Snarky

There is not going to be a Mac-native port, but I'll try to create a Wineskin-wrapped version for Mac users.

Meanwhile, as a reminder: the purpose of beta testing is to find bugs. If you come across anything that isn't working, please make a note of it. If there's a crash, please save the crash message. Screenshots are also a great way to demonstrate if something is visibly broken. Logs are written to $APPDATADIR$ (Which on my Windows 7 machine is set to C:\ProgramData\Adventure Game Studio\AGS Awards 2018 by default).

milkanannan

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 25/03/2019 15:35:50
Hm. I can't seem to get this to run on my mac even using Windows Parallel (yes I'm a mac user now). I will try to get it working, but if not I won't be able to take part. :(

I think someone was going to livestream it? (Also a Mac user here.  :~( )

VampireWombat

Well, I'm trying to test the client. But won't open. No errors or anything, just nothing.
I've tried modifying the acsetup.cfg using one from a game that does work and still nothing...
Edit: There were no errors unpacking the files. I've even tried copying all of the files from a working game except for the ags file and still nothing...

Snarky

Snarky

Ah, VampireWombat, you're on Linux, right? There might have been an issue, depending on when you downloaded the file.

cat

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Mon 25/03/2019 15:35:50
Worst case, you can still join using a regular IRC client (even a webclient will do). Would be a pity if you missed out on this!

VampireWombat

Ah. That's probably the problem. I see that the current version is 2 mb larger than the one I downloaded.

Snarky

Thanks to everybody who participated in the Beta Test. Here's what I learned, please add if I missed something:

I noticed two fatal crashes (if there were others, please let me know):
-I had a crash during a drumroll, will investigate (FIXED)
-lorenzo had a crash using Ctrl-Alt-Numpad, will investigate (AGS bug, WONTFIX)

Broken functionality:
-the IRC balcony is buggy; currently IRC participants cannot be called on stage. This should be fixed (FIXED)
-cat had some problem logging in with a registered nick. I did not understand this issue (RESOLVED)

Glitches:
-Wyz experienced a scaling bug (I live in terror of these; they are the bane of my existence) (FIXED?)
-Participants keep walking back to the entrance on their own (FIXED)
-Shift and Alt doesn't work for CassieBsg (WONTFIX)
-The track title displayed over the volume control doesn't update properly
-Selecting certain shades of blue as your speech color ends up with a different color (AGS-color bugfeature) (WONTFIX)
-custard experienced a problem with a text field not showing up until he clicked on it (WONTFIX)

Usability:
-People have a hard time finding the "hidden" buttons (faded out unless mouse nearby) (FIXED)
-Jukebox, Settings and Laugh buttons are not functional (and will not be, this year). Should be hidden (sort-of FIXED)

Cosmetic:
-The mouseover label goes off screen (FIXED)
-Participants on balcony appear to stack too close to each other (FIXED)
-Various Debug options are available (including the built-in AGS console and a custom debug console); these will not be available in the final client

Linux:
-Some participants have a hard time getting the Linux build to work. One issue: executable (chmod +x) flag not set. (+x flag FIXED, others UNRESOLVED)

Sinitrena

I got a warnings.log after I logged out:
QuoteScript : (room:1)[G 863] Dynamic sprite 9383 was never deleted
Script : (room:1)[G 863] Dynamic sprite 9384 was never deleted

Nothing serious, but I thought you'd like to know.

eri0o

Here are magical lines for packing tar.gz on Windows, for Linux, preserving the permissions. Requires having 7z.exe on path.

Code: batch

pushd %AGSGAMEPROJECT%\Compiled\Linux && 7z a -ttar -so archive.tar . | 7z a -si agsAwardsLinux.tar.gz && popd

Snarky

Thanks!

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 25/03/2019 21:34:25
I got a warnings.log after I logged out:
QuoteScript : (room:1)[G 863] Dynamic sprite 9383 was never deleted
Script : (room:1)[G 863] Dynamic sprite 9384 was never deleted

Nothing serious, but I thought you'd like to know.

Yes, thanks. Like you say, nothing serious. (I think maybe you just get this log when the app is built in Debug mode.) At one point there was a ton of these DynamicSprite warnings, but I never got around to tracking down where the last two are used.

Cassiebsg

Just to add: I just tried a parser game (A Martir of Time, by Mandle) and my shift key is working just fine there. I get capital letters.

If you need some info about my system an code page(s) I have installed on this pc, let me know.

Snarky

It almost definitely is a codepage issue, but given that we tested a similar issue last year and could not resolve it, I don't think there's much hope for a fix.

It must be that this function is not working correctly on your machine:

Code: ags
bool IsShiftPressed()
{
  return IsKeyPressed(403) || IsKeyPressed(404); // 403 = Left Shift, 404 = Right Shift
}

If you can figure out for which value eKey that IsKeyPressed(eKey) returns true when you hold down each Shift key, I could make you a special hack.

Cassiebsg

I did a small test, and left shift works... in the client too... only problem is I normally use right shift.
Is there any place I can see which code the right shift is using?
Just for the sake of it, both Ctrls and Alt work just fine and "Alt Gr" is being interpreted as Right Ctrl.
What I don't understand is, why does my right shift work on Mandle's game, but not on the client.  ???

EDIT:
So I created a simple text box, and if I don't code any shift keys, I get right shift working out of the box. So I'm not sure why you need to detect it by using a bool.  ???
I still can't get my ' to work though (wouldn't be such a problem if It wasn't so common in the english language).  (roll)
But I do know that if I press the ' key I get the ¨ (two dots above) keycode (which is the above key) and if I press that key I get å which is the key left to it. Pressing ø does nothing as far as I can see (though it might just be that the character font for that keycode is empty).
So maybe if you can figure out which keycode ¨ is on, you could replace that character with a '?

EDIT2:
I created a little script to test the keycodes... and found that my ' is detected as keycode 93. Maybe you can do something with that?   (nod)
I also found out that AGS can detect windows keys too...
I was unable to find a keycode that works for right shift though.

Snarky

Cassie, the apostrophe problem is the same one we investigated last year. I think we learned that the "¨" symbol doesn't even show up right away when you press the key, only after you press another key right afterwards (and it should also mean that for example pressing ' then O would turn into ö â€" it acts as a combining key). Because the key by itself doesn't lead to on_key_press() being called, there's no way to really fix this.

There is something wrong with how your keyboard setup interacts with AGS. You either need to change your keyboard setup in Windows somehow, or report an AGS engine bug. There's nothing I can do, unfortunately.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 25/03/2019 23:14:55
What I don't understand is, why does my right shift work on Mandle's game, but not on the client.  ???

AGS apparently interprets the keys differently in the built-in TextBox than in on_key_press() and IsKeyPressed().

Cassiebsg

You right.
I can figure out how to replace the character, but I have no idea how to force the key to "stop" holding for a next key to combine a character. Can one force a "space" keycode, to clear the combination? Maybe not... But I could probably live with this hack as long as I remember to type double the next letter...  (roll):
Spoiler

Code: ags

function repeatedly_execute() 
{
	if (IsKeyPressed(093)) 
	{
		usertext = txtBox.Text;
		usertext = usertext.Append("'");
		txtBox.Text=usertext;
		usertext="";
		Wait(5);
	}	
}

[close]

It does work, but it's still waiting for the combination.  :-\ And that I don't know how to fix.  :~(

EDIT:
I'll probably just use my other PC, as far as I remember that's what I ended up doing last year.

Snarky

Just in case you missed it, the final release of the client is now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  8-0  (nod)
You can find the downloads in the official AGS Awards thread. Don't forget to the ceremony tonight, 20:00 GMT!

Snarky

I've had a couple of days to recover from the awards, and before the memory fades completely, it would be nice to get your feedback on things to improve, both in terms of client features/bug fixes in the client and in how the awards are presented. (I already have "make it not crash when >45 people connect", thanks.)

It's not that I'm lacking for ideas about things to improve; more that it can be hard to tell which things are high priority and which things are less important. (There were several improvements this year that I've been thinking about for years and I think really improved the experience, and that were really quick and easy to implement once I got around to them, but that I just hadn't thought were priorities up until now.)

-Is improving how the chat log is displayed a priority?
-How do you feel about the way the music works?
-The positioning of characters on stage is a little awkward. Does it matter?
-Do we need a better way to find and select avatars?
-Did you experience any annoying glitches or bugs?

Another way to put it, maybe: What is it you most dislike about the client and the whole ceremony?

Cassiebsg

I noticed that it was easy to accidentally click outside the buttons on the lower left, and then get the character stuck in the corner. Could you make it so that clicks bellow the text box/buttons when the GUI is open, do not register as walk clicks? :)

The second thing I noticed is that albeit the scroll the text back to read is and awesome feature, it turns out to be sorta useless, as with every new line that is added the text jumps back to the bottom, making it hard to read something one might have missed prior. Maybe disable the auto-jump to the new line? I know IRC does that too, and it annoys me too, but at least it doesn't do it on every new line (at least not the client I'm using) and thus allows me to catch up with the back log even if I was away for a while.

Other than that, I didn't noticed much... except maybe either add a "step stool"/"low podium" for not as heigh characters or more then slightly to the right of the podium, so that they don't disappear entirely behind it.

Stupot

It's awesome as it is but two things bothered me.

1) As Cassie already mentioned it's virtually impossible to scroll up while other people are posting. If possible it would be nice to be able to do that without keep jumping back to the bottom.

2) For some reason, a lot of the time the text box wasn't registering letters I typed. I ended up with a lot of missed letters or having to retype. It seemed, looking at other messages that it was happening to other people too. Maybe there was another thing in the client was briefly blocking letters from displaying in the text box.

2b) on a related note, my right hand shift key wasn't working to capitalize my letters. Sorry if these are known issues. I haven't caught up with the thread yet.

Cheers.

Cassiebsg

Stupot, the keyboard issue might have something to do with your keyboard/localization settings in windows.
On my "normal" computer I also have that problems with the keys and right shift doesn't work either on the client. However my "work" computer has no problem with it's keyboard settings and thus I used that that one to attend the ceremony.

Maybe now, that there are others having keyboard issues, we can debug what the problem is and maybe figure out to fix it (either the client or our own computer settings)?  :)

Sinitrena

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 02/04/2019 17:13:58
Other than that, I didn't noticed much... except maybe either add a "step stool"/"low podium" for not as heigh characters or more then slightly to the right of the podium, so that they don't disappear entirely behind it.

+1 So, to be honest, I think the entire background needs an overhaul. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It looks amazing, but it has a lot of empty, unused room, for example in the upper left part, which leads to the chat log being displayed in front of the audience. I think a clearer defined area for the chat, another one for the audience, a third for the pictures of the nominees/winners and another one for the avatars of the presenters/winners. If I were a better artist, I would draw a new background, but unfortunately, I'm not. (I might try anyway, if I have time.)

Another thing that didn't look so good is the fact that some of the game names were rather long this year and so they were longer than the listbox. As above, this is a purely visual thing.

Also on the topic of the nominees list: Is there a reason for their order? Or rather, lack thereof? I would love it if they were shown in the order they are presented.

I really loved the little sound-pieces that were played for the audio categories (voices, music). Unfortunately, the applause sound played at the same time, so that they were nearly impossible to hear. Maybe you could disable applause temporarily while they play?

Snarky

Thanks everybody! Really good feedback. Keep it coming!

I'll try to respond to a few of your points.

Chat log scrolling:
Spoiler
I think with how it's designed now, the chat log is not supposed to auto-scroll when you've scrolled back, but in most cases it doesn't work correctly. The chat log has a few bugs like that. It's definitely one of the things I'd like to work on. (It also needs to clearly indicate whether you're viewing the latest messages or earlier ones.) I just need to decide whether to implement a simple minimal fix, or something fancier (for example with a different text color for people on stage, to make it easier to tell it apart).
[close]

Text input:
Spoiler
Here we might be running up against some fundamental AGS limitations.

We're using my TextField module for text input, which is implemented using the on_key_press() and IsKeyPressed() functions and the keyCodes AGS defines and reports. If some keys are not recognized at all, or recognized as the wrong character, that's because AGS fails to report the correct key codes. That cannot be fixed in the module.

Either this is a problem with your Windows (or now Mac, Linux) keyboard setup, or with AGS. The first step is to check whether it works with the built-in AGS TextInput control (used for text input in most AGS games). If it does not, then I would start by changing your keyboard setup. If you can't get it to work at all, maybe raise it as a possible AGS bug. (Problems on Mac/Linux are issues with the engine builds for those platforms.) If it does work with TextInput, then AGS is not reporting the same keys to on_key_press() or IsKeyPressed() that it detects internally, and that's definitely an AGS bug IMO.

As for missing some keypresses, yeah, it's seemed like that to me sometimes, too. The only explanation I can imagine is that on_key_press() doesn't always register every individual keypress, particularly if you type fast. (I'm not sure whether TextInput is also afflicted by this problem. Need to do some testing.) Again, there's no real way to solve this in the module; ultimately it might require either a separate keyboard input plugin or implementing the TextField control in the engine core. Both are out of scope for the Awards client.

As a practical workaround in the client, I could add an option to use the native TextInput control instead of TextField, but you would lose: the movable text cursor, ability to select text, copy/paste support, undo support, and possibly support for extended characters.
[close]

Program List:
Spoiler
Entries being cut off if they're longer than the width of the box is inevitable. (I could make the list a bit wider, but unless it was practically the whole width of the screen you would still have some entries that were too long to fully display.) To minimize the problem, and particularly to ensure that the important information is always displayed, I've added short-versions of both the category names and game titles (“Tales from the Outer Zone: Cyborg Seppuku” shows up in the list as simply “Cyborg Seppuku”, for example â€" a small bug meant it also got displayed that way for the nominations, though it was listed correctly with full title when announced as a winner).

So currently the issue only affects the lines where the category and winner are concatenated. It might, with significant effort, be possible to make it so that cut-off entries end with “…”, but that means you lose even more of the text, and I don't really consider the way it is now to be a problem.

As for the order of the categories (which I assume is what you mean, Sinitrena), it's originally based on how they're listed in the Wiki. The order is hardcoded fairly deep in the application logic, closely tied to how views and sprites are numbered, while the order in which the awards are presented is decided on by the host. So while it wouldn't be impossible to reorder the list, it's a bit more complicated than it might seem. I'm not sure I understand why it is a concern.

(As for the order of the nominees within each category, they're listed in alphabetical order, while the presenters are encouraged to mix it up in order to keep the show from becoming monotonous.)
[close]

Overall screen layout:
Spoiler
I would be interested to see any proposals for different layouts. The current one is definitely a compromise (after we went widescreen, we lost the vertical space to have a separate region for the chat log). In the absence of a different layout, I could add configuration options to adjust the size, position and opacity of the chat log.
[close]

Applause drowning out audio:
Spoiler
Yes, I had a couple of improvements in mind to address this, but didn't have time to implement them. The audio controls are, next to the chat log, the part I think is in most need of improvement.
[close]

Click to walk to bottom of screen:
Spoiler
I seem to remember deliberately not having the buttons go all the way to the edges,, so you would be able to walk to any part of the room. Did anyone else experience this as a problem??
[close]

Characters hidden behind lectern:
Spoiler
Yes, I asked last year whether it was something to fix, but some people said they thought it was funny and to keep it. But I agree, it's annoying and I'll look into fixes. Also, for some reason it seems a few presenters didn't realize they could move their character away from the initial position. I'll probably add some user feedback to indicate whenever walking is disabled (maybe gray out the cursor), which might help people notice when it's not.
[close]

Sinitrena

QuoteAs for the order of the categories (which I assume is what you mean, Sinitrena), it's originally based on how they're listed in the Wiki. The order is hardcoded fairly deep in the application logic, closely tied to how views and sprites are numbered, while the order in which the awards are presented is decided on by the host. So while it wouldn't be impossible to reorder the list, it's a bit more complicated than it might seem. I'm not sure I understand why it is a concern.

Yes, that's what I meant: the order of the categories. Let's call it a quality of life thing - for presenters and presumably for nominees as well. The way it's set up now, the list tells you nothing about when the award you present/you have a chance to win comes up. That doesn't matter for people who are just audience or who, as main hosts, need to be around the whole time anyway, but when you are only involved with one or two categories, it would be nice to know when the relevant categories are coming up. Do I have time to get a drink before I'm needed on stage? as an example.

I didn't think this would be difficult to change. It's not something overly important, but I think it would be nice if the list wouldn't just inform people about the nominees/winners but also about the schedule, so to speak.

QuoteI seem to remember deliberately not having the buttons go all the way to the edges,, so you would be able to walk to any part of the room. Did anyone else experience this as a problem??
It happened to me once or twice too. It's a bit annoying, yes, but at the same time I didn't really mind.

QuoteI would be interested to see any proposals for different layouts. The current one is definitely a compromise (after we went widescreen, we lost the vertical space to have a separate region for the chat log). In the absence of a different layout, I could add configuration options to adjust the size, position and opacity of the chat log.

As I said, not an artist, but here's a mock-up of a different layout:

- reserved a space for the chatlog at the bottom of the screen
- moved the out of the middle to the left to better use previously unused space
- made the auditorium go further back to get the space back for the audience I lost to the chatlog.
- upper-right offers room for the audience list or nominees list if people want to display it

To better compare it, here's the current layout in simple lines, without all the fancy art:

(Blue lines used to indicate unused space.)

Snarky

Quote from: Sinitrena on Thu 04/04/2019 13:27:58
QuoteAs for the order of the categories (which I assume is what you mean, Sinitrena), it's originally based on how they're listed in the Wiki. The order is hardcoded fairly deep in the application logic, closely tied to how views and sprites are numbered, while the order in which the awards are presented is decided on by the host. So while it wouldn't be impossible to reorder the list, it's a bit more complicated than it might seem. I'm not sure I understand why it is a concern.

Yes, that's what I meant: the order of the categories. Let's call it a quality of life thing - for presenters and presumably for nominees as well. The way it's set up now, the list tells you nothing about when the award you present/you have a chance to win comes up. That doesn't matter for people who are just audience or who, as main hosts, need to be around the whole time anyway, but when you are only involved with one or two categories, it would be nice to know when the relevant categories are coming up. Do I have time to get a drink before I'm needed on stage? as an example.

I didn't think this would be difficult to change. It's not something overly important, but I think it would be nice if the list wouldn't just inform people about the nominees/winners but also about the schedule, so to speak.

Ah, now I see. OK, I'll try to address that.

cat

I thought about sending the schedule to the presenters, but because this year I scheduled lifetime achievement right after MAGGIES, I was afraid of giving it away. Maybe I was just overthinking...

eri0o

Hey! Necro up! The sockets plugin used here, where can one download latest version?  :-D

Snarky

You can use the dll distributed with the client. Otherwise you should ask Wyz. He was going to open source it once it was done, but probably forgot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk